handicap pool lifts

russferrer

my wife requires a pool lift to enter any pool or hot tub;  while some past cruises we've been on have them, it's not always the case...  we just went on the mariner of the seas and were disappointed that there were none, and that all the pools had some sort of impediment to those mobility challenged individuals.

on shorter cruises, ok, no big deal... but we're wanting to go on a longer cruise with multiple sea days, and want to know if there's any source to tell us which ships have such lifts

Perhaps you could email Royal's special needs department. I don't know the address off the top of my head but I've seen it mentioned on the boards from time to time.

As far as recent personal knowledge is concerned, I can tell you that Anthem has a pool lift in the indoor pool:

PXL_20220927_103447558.thumb.jpg.4ad31474f9ecdb166e765f1e31557a0e.jpg

And Odyssey has at one of the outdoor pools:

PXL_20220512_133445024.thumb.jpg.d0beb3731fff1e0e092380d42708da39.jpg

I don't know if they are of a type that is suitable for your wife. You can see them in the above images.

Hope this helps.

It would seem like a weird thing to say, but this question brings fond memories for me.  We lost a beloved brother almost 10 years ago to ALS.  The last time he was on his feet was in the pool on the Carnival Magic thanks to the pool lift in the aft pool.  3 brothers together.  Two helping the third take what would be his final steps across that pool with his wife taking photos from the side.  The weight reduction of being in the water allowed what little use of his legs was left to put one foot in front of the other for a few steps.  13 months later, he was gone.

The memory brings a tear to my eyes this morning.  Thanks for asking the question.  I hope whatever your wife's condition, she is ok.

13 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Perhaps you could email Royal's special needs department. I don't know the address off the top of my head but I've seen it mentioned on the boards from time to time.

As far as recent personal knowledge is concerned, I can tell you that Anthem has a pool lift in the indoor pool:

PXL_20220927_103447558.thumb.jpg.4ad31474f9ecdb166e765f1e31557a0e.jpg

And Odyssey has at one of the outdoor pools:

PXL_20220512_133445024.thumb.jpg.d0beb3731fff1e0e092380d42708da39.jpg

I don't know if they are of a type that is suitable for your wife. You can see them in the above images.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Anthem is one on my short list

• 5 months later...

We just came off an 8 day cruise on Jewel of the Seas. We were told that there was a pool lift that I could use. There was not in either pool nor the hot tubs. There was a pool lift on Coco Cay but there were no directions for usage and no staff member to provide assistance. Was unable to swim on a trip to the Caribbean.Very disappointing.

• 4 months later...

First of all, I was told that every ship had one lift in the main pool, and one in the hot tub. If this is not the case then reservations is giving mis information. I was just on Liberty of the Sea. The staff was clueless about using the lift in the main pool. I was told there was a lift at one of the hot tubs but I never saw it. One question for those of you that are familiar with the Royal pool lifts, did the seat go completely into the water so you could just step down or swim away? I had a horrible experience during my cruise in July. The post cruise dept watched my video and I was told that the lift does not go into the water. They expect you to receive help from staff or friends/family to climb on and off the lift seat.  I wanted clarification from them so that we could try another cruise line if all the lifts operated this way.