Haiti

Lesa t

We have been to Labadee at least 4 times.  It is simply beautiful.  If you enjoy a day at the beach, it does not get much better.  The coaster is great fun as is the inflatable water park.  Other than reading these posts, I did not know that there was an artisans’ village selling stuff.  Seriously, we missed it entirely and not on purpose!  

Loved Labadee every time! The beaches are nice, the sand is nice…it’s a beautiful destination. I did the Dragon Flight Zip Line over the beach and waves. Then recuperated on the beach with a drink or two…or seven. As much as I can recall, it was great!
As posted above, the straw market is separate, out of the way, and the sellers are not permitted to roam about (No annoying ‘beach hawkers’). It’s easily avoidable for those who feel uncomfortable saying no. But, it’s also pretty cool seeing what they have to offer. Many of the handcrafted items are beautiful and some of the artwork is surprisingly good. It really is a local market showcasing some pretty good talent.
One of the ‘not so well known’ things about Labadee are the paths. They wind throughout the venue and have some pretty nice viewing areas. 
In my opinion, Labadee is a beautiful venue. Clean, safe and enjoyable. Enjoy!

On 10/13/2022 at 12:15 PM, Lesa t said:

Our cruise goes to Haiti in January.  I am a bit nervous about going there. Any feedback?

Best feedback we can give is!

1.  Labadee is just a beautiful beach type beach day and one of our favorite ports!!!.

2. Get off the ship as soon as you can to grab you the best spot on one of Labadee's five beaches.  If you have kids...Head to Adrenaline Beach so the kids can play under the supervision of the ships Adventure Ocean or got to Arawak Aqua Park for all the inflatables.  if you just want to chill and relax or maybe read a good book...You can't beat Nellie's beach.

3.  Try the Dragon Breath Zipline.  Psycho's GPS Camera said he hit 48 MPH on one of his rides.

4.  About noon, head to one of the three Open air type restaurants for some barbecue.  You can leave your stuff on your chairs at the beach.  We've never had a thing stolen.

5.  Is to just relax.  If you have the booze package it also good on Labadee.  And when you are ready to call it a day, you can grab one of trams to get back to the ship.

I was at Labadee just last week and loved it. I highly recommend the kayak tour - a native Haitian takes you around the bay towards the Labadee village and points out the school, medical clinic, and other structures that were built from the Royal Caribbean cruisers dollars. It was really cool. 

As far as the market goes, I’m a single woman traveling alone and walked through the market area by myself to get back to the ship and see the island a little. I never felt nervous or threatened. I just kept saying, “no thank you” and kept walking. There was also Royal Caribbean security along the way who kept the vendors from coming up too close to the people walking through. It was a fantastic day and I definitely wouldn’t stay on the ship over safety concerns.