Passport vs Passport Card

FManke

What are people's thoughts about carrying their full passport vs a passport card while off the ship. Since we have both, I'm leaning toward just carrying the card and leaving the full passport back on ship in the safe.

I'm sorry if this has already been answered. I tried searching for this specific topic but couldn't find one. There are a lot of threads here! 🤣

Does anybody have a passport and vaccine card case that they like? Just one that just carries them both. I don't need any other bells and whistles.

Happy Cruising!

12 minutes ago, FManke said:

What are people's thoughts about carrying their full passport vs a passport card while off the ship. Since we have both, I'm leaning toward just carrying the card and leaving the full passport back on ship in the safe.

I'm sorry if this has already been answered. I tried searching for this specific topic but couldn't find one. There are a lot of threads here! 🤣

Does anybody have a passport and vaccine card case that they like? Just one that just carries them both. I don't need any other bells and whistles.

Happy Cruising!

I/we always carry our full passport off the ship, in Port's of Call.  If an emergency happens and someone needs to be airlifted back to the U.S., only a full passport will be accepted to travel without issue and delays.   A passport card can not be used for international travel by air.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B099W49R45/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The passport in the safe or the pocket is like religion.  Some people are in one camp and other people are in the other camp.  🙂 

A passport card doesn't really do you much good in the event you needed to fly home so if you are off the ship in a port of call there isn't much value having a passport card in your possession.  I suppose it might grease the wheels at a consulate or embassy trying to get a passport book issued in an emergency just to establish your identity but I don't know that is a fact.

A damaged passport is useless so if are going to carry it off the ship have a means to keep it secure and protected.  Don't put it in a backpack that could be stolen somewhere while at a bar or eating lunch in a cafe off the ship.  On a sailboat excursion for example it could rain or a wave could soak a backpack so having passports in a ziplock bag may offer protection from water damage.

A port like CocoCay probably has less risk or need to have your passport with you while a port of call in another country where you could have an incident that keeps you from reboarding the ship may mean it is more desirable to take your passport with you. 

At the end of the day know the risks and make a decision you can live with since no one here will be there to assist you when the unexpected occurs.   

1 hour ago, FManke said:

Happy Cruising!

I do this, but not my wife.  Passports stay in the safe.  We have read that in an emergency, the Port Agent will arrange with the ship to get belongings from the ship, including the safe.  While the passport card won't get you a plane ticket, it is a useful government ID, which I find better than a driver's license.  The Cruise Compass will tell you what you need to carry off the ship, and often an ID is listed so port authorities can match you to the Seapass Card.  The host country won't have your photo while the ship will.

Twangster's response is a good summary of the issues.   We almost had our passports ruined on a boat ride, and we've known guests who were pick-pocketed pre-cruise.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/search.html?search_input=cruising&data-sia=false&data-con=false&segFilter=international-travel&starton=0

We recommend that everyone taking a cruise from the United States have a passport book. Though some "" cruises may not require a U.S. passport, we recommend bringing yours in case of an emergency, such as an unexpected medical air evacuation or the ship docking at an alternate port. Also, your cruise company may require you to have a passport, even if U.S. Customs and Border Protection does not.
If You Choose to Travel:
  • Make sure you review the latest .
  • Read ouru202fTraveler's Checklistu202f.
  • Research youru202fdestinationu202fto learn about important health and safety precautions to take.
  • Check ouru202fcountry informationu202ffor the countries you will be visiting. Make a list of theu202fcontact informationu202fof the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in case of an emergency.
  • Always bring your passportu202fin case of an emergency, such as an unexpected medical air evacuation or the ship docking at an alternate port in an emergency, even if your cruise says you won't need it.
  • Apply early for youru202fpassport, or make sure your current oneu202fwill be valid at least six months beyond your travel dates and has two or more blank pages. Your cruise company may also require you to have a passport even if U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) does
You can use the passport card to reenter the United States at sea ports of entry from Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, and the Caribbean. However, if you are not able to return on the cruise ship for any reason (e.g., for an emergency evacuation, you will need a passport book to fly back to the United States.Additional Resources:

7 hours ago, Moby Dick said:

I/we always carry our full passport off the ship, in Port's of Call.  If an emergency happens and someone needs to be airlifted back to the U.S., only a full passport will be accepted to travel without issue and delays.   A passport card can not be used for international travel by air.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B099W49R45/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have these same cases and they are great.