Average drink package price

We are traveling on Mariner of the Seas in June 2023. The drink package is currently $80.99. We haven’t been on a cruise in several years so I don’t know if that is a good price or not. Is that a good price or not? It seems high to me but just wondering what others have paid for a drink package recently. 

Welcome to the message boards!

In short, it doesn't matter what a good price is as the price someone else paid for a different cruise doesn't necessarily mean you'll ever see that price.

In general, drink package prices have gone up a lot this year. But it's still cheaper online than onboard.

Honestly, the only way to know if a drink package is a "good price" is to do the math. My husband and I are not big drinkers, nor do we buy lots of specialty coffees, shakes, etc., so unless the daily price fell below $40/day, it would never be a good price for us. We've never spent anywhere near the $60-$90/day we've seen offered on any of our cruises. Figure the maximum amount a mixed might be is around $15 and add another $2 for extra tip (that we always include over and above the included tip). Wines and beers will be a bit cheaper and drink specials will run around $10-$11 each. Specialty coffees run on average at $5-6 each. Shakes, bottled waters, juices, etc. are also included in the ultimate package. What are you going to drink? How much are you going to drink? Add up the numbers and that's how you can tell if it's worth it. And remember that if you buy one package, you have to buy for all adults in the same cabin.

@Justin Lee Just as Matt stated, you really have to do the calculations yourself. Prices on the cruise planner can range. Another piece of advice is to look at the price just before you are about to pay for it. One thing I really hate about the RCL cruise planner is that they do not add gratuity to the their calculation of $X/Day till you are about to pay for it. For example I saw before my june sailing that the drink package was going to be $65 a day after discount and I realized that this ddin't include the gratuity which is added right before you check out. Secondly don't be afraid of the 2 for one discount on the cruise planner. I though since I would be the only person in my stateroom getting the drink package as the other guest is not of drinking age I thought this discount would not be worth it. However you do get charged the discounted rate even if there is only a single guest getting the package. Finally as many posters and the royalcarribeanblog.com videos would point out, it is totally fine to purchase and if you see a better deal to cancel and repurchase that. 

Overall what I do to see if the amount I am paying is finacialy worth it, I essentially divide the daily price by about $15 (as many of RCL drinks are $13 + gratuity). If its not a whole number I usually will round it down as I do get bottles of water & specialty coffees. Then I ask myself am I able to drink that amount. If I can't then I say its not worth it. Another way I look at it is that when I am on a cruise I don't want to calculate how many drinks I've had and how much I am going to have to pay at the end of the cruise. I also add that convenience  factor into it as well.