How early can I use the Cruise Planner tool?

JLMoran

I searched the site for anything on the above, but I'm coming up empty. It's frustrating that I can log in to My Cruises, go to my itinerary, and see the Cruise Planner tool, but not actually use it. Especially when the tool initially loads with a bunch of little clickable panels for Voom internet, drink packages, etc. But clicking any of those panels just shows a message that I'm trying to purchase something too far in advance of my cruise or too close.

I do realize that with my cruise over a year away, I may well have to wait until I'm in some "valid time window" to use the tool. But couldn't they just let me know that right on the opening page? And give me some indication of when that valid window starts? As Matt and others have noted, it will let me spread out the total cost of my cruise over all those months. But only if it actually becomes usable a reasonable amount of time before my cruise!

What I'd like to do is buy each of the following on separate months / billing cycles: internet, refreshment drink packages, deluxe drink package (me only), St. Kitts excursion, St. Maarten excursions (family may well split up that day for separate things), Labadee purchases (zip line, alpine coaster, maybe a watertop cabana?), pre-paid gratuities, possible photo package.

That's 8 items, combined with monthly payments toward the cruise, so I'd certainly hope that the Cruise Planner becomes available at least that far in advance of my cruise date (more if the planner locks out a month or more ahead of departure).

Related question -- My kids are in their own cabin and show up in My Cruises as a second itinerary. When I'm reserving / buying these things on Cruise Planner, do I have to do one set of purchases on the itinerary for my wife and me, and a separate set of purchases on the second itinerary? Or does the Cruise Planner have the smarts to know that both of them belong to me and consolidate it all into one planning tool?

I think it may be 60 days for checking in online and that means you can then add your payment card details which you will use on board. 

There is a chance here to register 'other passengers' who can use your account card.

I did book and pay for our tours and Chops Grille earlier than this though but not as far as a year in advance.

RC emailed me and offered a reduction for the Chops Grill maybe around Christmas Time ( we sail in April ) I also had the chance then to book and pay for any tours - which I did.

I would try again about 4-6 months prior to your cruise.

Guest toodle68

If the bookings are linked, you should be able to pull in the people from the other cabin for any bookings in cruise planner.

As to when things become available, you just have to check often.  I have a cruise 400 days away and shore excursions are available and spa stuff, but nothing else. I think for my last cruise, everything was available 6 months out.

It really depends on the itinerary. On the Allure, I was able to book excursions and what not nearly a year out. Dining packages and such were about four months out. I even booked dining during the last sale for my cruise next June and that was late last year. On other sailings (Europe) it was closer to the 90 day mark.

Thanks, Matt! Looks like my error when searching was using "Cruise Planner" and not "pre-booking".

Regarding this line at the end:

Spa treatments: In my experience, spa treatments are almost always available for pre-booking via the web site. 

I can't even book those yet. Every single little panel with an option gives me the "Oops! You're booking too early!" message.  :wacko:  Guess I just have to wait a while, maybe until I'm within 12 months.

I can't even book those yet. Every single little panel with an option gives me the "Oops! You're booking too early!" message.  :wacko:  Guess I just have to wait a while, maybe until I'm within 12 months.

Wow, kind of surprising to see that.  Way to be the outlier stat!  :P

Well something changed in the last 4 days. All of a sudden I have both Spa Treatments and Shore Excursions fully available to me. Still no dining/beverage packages or internet options, but at least it's beginning to open up!

Gotta tell the family so we can start figuring out what to reserve. My first want-to-get items -- over-the-water cabana at Nellie's Beach and all-day Dragon's Breath Coaster passes!

• 2 weeks later...

It's begun! Finally on a new billing cycle, and I just purchased a Nellie's Beach over-the-water cabana and also four all-day passes for the alpine coaster. Will make new purchases each month as we go along to spread those expenses out!

And will also keep an eye out for any excursion sales to see if I can save some money down the road. But at least that hard-to-acquire cabana is taken care of!