Using/Reserving MTD and dining packages

TheMick424

Hoping to understand how to best navigate utilizing and reserving My Time Dining when you have a dining package.  Just trying to figure all of this out, given we'll have a party of 6 (3A, 3 teens) who may or may not split up for dining.  I was hoping that MTD would be more flexible for our party, but didn't know there were reservations involved if you want to avoid a lengthy wait (We'll be sailing on Symphony).

Should you make MTD reservations for each night ahead of time?  Does this prevent you from seeing/booking specialty dining for that time on the web and/or on the app?  Alternatively, do you need to cancel the MTD reservations if you are able to secure a specialty dining reservation once on board? 

TIA!

18 minutes ago, TheMick424 said:

Hoping to understand how to best navigate utilizing and reserving My Time Dining when you have a dining package.  Just trying to figure all of this out, given we'll have a party of 6 (3A, 3 teens) who may or may not split up for dining.  I was hoping that MTD would be more flexible for our party, but didn't know there were reservations involved if you want to avoid a lengthy wait (We'll be sailing on Symphony).

Should you make MTD reservations for each night ahead of time?  Does this prevent you from seeing/booking specialty dining for that time on the web and/or on the app?  Alternatively, do you need to cancel the MTD reservations if you are able to secure a specialty dining reservation once on board? 

TIA!

You do not need to make MTD reservations - you can just show up and be seated with whatever number of people you have.

13 minutes ago, Pooch said:

I made MTD for everyone for every night.  Then adjusted on board as necessary.

this is the way to go IMO. time slots fill up for MTD. & if you dont make that reservation in advance, you might get stuck having to wait to be seated & the bigger the party, the longer the wait. It's better to have a specific time locked up & once on board you can adjust as necessary.

1 hour ago, luiiismdo said:

this is the way to go IMO. time slots fill up for MTD. & if you dont make that reservation in advance, you might get stuck having to wait to be seated & the bigger the party, the longer the wait. It's better to have a specific time locked up & once on board you can adjust as necessary.

Can you adjust specific people individually without impacting others in the party?

22 minutes ago, TheMick424 said:

Can you adjust specific people individually without impacting others in the party?

Yes -- you reserve for yourself, & have the option of adding anyone whose reservation is linked with yours.  For example, my DH & I have one room, & DD's have another, but our reservations are linked, so it is easy to include or exclude them from anything in cruise planner, not just dining

19 minutes ago, TheMick424 said:

I'm sure making changes like that isn't an issue once you're on the ship but i'm not sure how that will go about on the cruise planner beforehand. I've had situations that we've been onboard & decided to treat the in laws to a nice dinner but had the kids keep their already scheduled MDR seating. ive never tried to split reservations up on the cruise planner though.  1 of the benefits of working with a good Travel Agent is that they can take care of these kinds of scenarios for you. I myself & the planner in the family so I like to over-plan myself in advance so that I dont have a single worry once I'm onboard.

8 minutes ago, smost said:

Can you only reserve it once you get on board?

Every time I try to add it under the cruise planner, it tells me something went wrong and to try again. The two people in my party do have MTD. I made sure of that

No, you can reserve my time dining through the cruise planner. one of 2 things might be happening. it's too far out and it doesnt show yet, or times have filled up & now you'll just have to show up when you wish to dine & wait for tables to open up. i'd call Royal or your agent just to get some clarification on what your specific situation might be.

14 minutes ago, luiiismdo said:

No, you can reserve my time dining through the cruise planner. one of 2 things might be happening. it's too far out and it doesnt show yet, or times have filled up & now you'll just have to show up when you wish to dine & wait for tables to open up. i'd call Royal or your agent just to get some clarification on what your specific situation might be.

The cruise is 16 days out. So I don’t think it’s that. I’ll give Royal a call today and see if it’s something else. I’ve tried different times as well as different browsers and clearing out my cookies.

Thank you for your help 🙂

Edited by smost
Adding thank you