Chops Grille

I was looking into reserving the Chops Grille lunch for embarkation day on my upcoming cruise in July, but when I go to add it to my cart I'm unable to. Does that mean that there are no more reservations or is maybe something wrong? I figure that there may just not be any more reservations available, but wanted to double check just to make sure!

23 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

Is embarkation day considered a port day?  I believe that specialty restaurants are not open for lunch on port days.  I could be wrong.

No its considered embarkation day, the same way departure is only a departure day because you are getting on and staying or leaving only. I think most, if not all specialty restaurants, Wonderland comes to mind, are open from noon to 2pm on embarkation. I have enjoyed Jamie's, Chops and Izumi on embarkation day across multiple ships. 

2 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2020/08/18/where-can-i-eat-the-first-day-of-my-royal-caribbean-cruise

Matt states that there is "no[r] option" to reserve a specialty restaurant for lunch on embarkation day.  There is the answer.

okay gotcha thank you! I remember the first cruise I took a while ago we went to chops on the first day but i wasn't the one who booked the cruise, and I also was like 15 so I wasn't really paying attention to what was happening, just that we were going to eat lol so I couldn't remember if we had just walked up and gotten a table with a reservation or not!

2 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2020/08/18/where-can-i-eat-the-first-day-of-my-royal-caribbean-cruise

Matt states that there is "no[r] option" to reserve a specialty restaurant for lunch on embarkation day.  There is the answer.

His information is likely outdated here. You CAN make reservations for lunch on embarkation day through the Cruise Planner.

It is rare that the open specialty restaurants on boarding day are fully booked up for lunch, though. The price you can book on the Cruise Planner is also usually a discount compared to walking in and paying the cover charge.

image.thumb.png.24e7f488649e820eccfd6a5dce2cdedd.png

7 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

His information is likely outdated here. You CAN make reservations for lunch on embarkation day through the Cruise Planner.

It is rare that the open specialty restaurants on boarding day are fully booked up for lunch, though. The price you can book on the Cruise Planner is also usually a discount compared to walking in and paying the cover charge.

image.thumb.png.24e7f488649e820eccfd6a5dce2cdedd.png

Okay, yes this makes more sense now! This is what i was seeing on the cruise planner, except it was automatically selecting it for the first day, but i was unable to actually add it to the cart! We were most likely not going to be doing Chop's on embarkation for lunch (my dad doesn't really want to lol) but was just looking for some more options besides the Windjammer just in case it's way crowded! I think Sorrento's is open on embarkation day, but can't remember, is that true?

10 minutes ago, mackenziebroom said:

I think Sorrento's is open on embarkation day, but can't remember, is that true?

Sorrentos will be open on embarkation day. If you're on Independence your likely choices to get food when boarding are the Windjammer, Sorrentos, and Cafe Promenade.  Fish and Ships on the pool deck may be open, but there's an upcharge for those items.  Playmakers is also an option if you're willing to pay for food.  Their menu is ala carte like a normal restaurant. 

6 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Sorrentos will be open on embarkation day. If you're on Independence your likely choices to get food when boarding are the Windjammer, Sorrentos, and Cafe Promenade.  Fish and Ships on the pool deck may be open, but there's an upcharge for those items.  Playmakers is also an option if you're willing to pay for food.  Their menu is ala carte like a normal restaurant. 

awesome thank you so much! i'm a chronic over-planner hahahah

• 3 weeks later...

We are on a B2B, & for the 2nd one we splurged on UDP.  Will we be able to have lunch @ Chops once we get back on the ship, do you think?  It would certainly make life easier! I guess that will be one of the many questions we will be asking on the first leg of the cruise!

38 minutes ago, MaryCS62 said:

Will we be able to have lunch @ Chops once we get back on the ship, do you think?  

You should be able to go to Chops.  It’s just a question of when they open. You will be able to go directly back to your cabin assuming you have the same one on both legs.

15 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

You should be able to go to Chops.  It’s just a question of when they open. You will be able to go directly back to your cabin assuming you have the same one on both legs.

Unfortunately, no, since we didn't decide on the second leg till much later.  We're actually downgrading from a pair of Jr Suites to a pair of Balcony cabins (we need connecting cabins, and all JR suites were sold out by then), so we decided to do the UDP for the 2nd one, since we plan on trying to eat dinner @ CK on the first one, if possible. Our cabins will be on the same deck, just down the hall which means we will have to pack, but hopefully our luggage will be moved for us, and not get removed & returned to the ship (not sure how that works, 1st B2B for us).  I know we're last off, first on, but other than that I only know what I've read on the boards.  I believe @ Cape Liberty we need to physically leave the ship, which is problematic enough with a wheelchair & I will be using a scooter as well.