Thinking through drink package options

Ok, trying to gather some thoughts on my plan of action for my upcoming solo 5 nighter. Normally I'd get the drink package prior to the trip and save a little money. However, for Christmas this year my brother and sister in law got me a $250 gift certificate for on-board credit. As I found out after receiving it, that is only good once you board. Initially i thought I'd just wait til I get on and use the $250 to knock down the cost of the package. But I'm seeing in the cruise planner that the on board price is something like $80/day. Since a good portion of my usage of the package is water, specialty coffee and maybe a Johnny Rockets shake (although probably no soda)  I'm leaning towards buying either the refreshment package or the water package during the current sale and then just pay as I go for drinks and let that eat away my OBC. 

Thoughts?

I would go with what you are thinking…buy refreshment package pre-cruise and use OBC for any liquor additions you may decide to indulge in here and there.  You could also use some of the OBC to purchase for yourself a nice sweatshirt or maybe try a slot machine or two?   No matter what you decide I do agree with you that purchasing the drink package is not necessary.

Yeah that seems to make more sense to me. I like the package for the convenience of it. I think I'll just go the water package route as I really don't drink any sodas and while the coffee and juice is a "nice to have" that's usually something I only take advantage of if I have the package and I'm looking for ways to "get my money's worth".

now that I think about it too, I also didn't prepay my gratuities like I normally do so that credit will also come in handy there. I'll have no problem getting to the $250, so I'll come out of pocket some but overall I think way less than what i would by paying the difference in the package on board and my OBC.

25 minutes ago, Brando95 said:

I'm leaning towards buying either the refreshment package or the water package during the current sale and then just pay as I go for drinks and let that eat away my OBC. 

Thoughts?

I'm planning to try the exact same thing for an upcoming cruise.  I usually get the DX package, but decided I'll  give the refreshment package a try; paying for any alcoholic drinks as I go.  Afterwards, I'll compare what I actually spent vs. what I would have spent with the DX package and see which will be the better plan for me moving forward.

I know you said you're leaning to the water package but based on what all you drink, I'd saw the refreshment makes more sense. I'm certain the coffee, tea and juices that you'd avail yourself of would add up quickly and if you're also planning to use that 250 for gratuities (72.50 for a 5-night non-suite room) and drinks (avg $13/each) it may be gone faster than you think.

Plus, you can get water at any bar OR freestyle machine in your cup (or any cup) so you're still staying hydrated.

I did consider that but in reflecting on my habits I tend to seek out juices and coffee as a way to supplement my drink package. If I didn't have them included I don't think I'd be as inclined to go for a specialty coffee when I can just get regular coffee from the Windjammer or Cafe Promenade. If I was a big soda drinker than yeah that would've made that decision easier but whenever I've had the package I've never remembered to take my soda cup with me when I left the cabin anyway, or even used it all on board.

2 hours ago, whitsmom said:

I would totally go with the Refreshment package.  This is what we are doing also.  You can order roughly 19-20 drinks using your OBC.

Hm not at $15 per drink you can’t. That’s the going rate for a mixed drink with gratuities.

1 hour ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Plus, you can get water at any bar OR freestyle machine in your cup (or any cup) so you're still staying hydrated.

Are they allowing that?  Our last cruise was pre-COVID and they stopped allowing people to use the freestyle machines for water if they didn't have a soda package.  

13 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

Are they allowing that?  Our last cruise was pre-COVID and they stopped allowing people to use the freestyle machines for water if they didn't have a soda package.  

I don't know if you can get water at the machines without a package - pre or post Covid; I've always had a package and never tried.

The sentence you're referencing is in context to the first part of my post which was saying that OP can get the refreshment vs the water package but still get unlimited water. By "or any cup" i was referring to the bars.

2 hours ago, Kirsten said:

On Harmony three weeks ago, the Freestyle machines were open for self-service at Sorrento's and in the Windjammer.  There were no COVID restrictions to use these self-serve vending machines other than washing your hands first (hand gel stations were conveniently located in front of each machine area). However, one must have a drink package (soda, refreshment, or DX) to get the authorized Freestyle cup with embedded chip in the bottom of it to be able to use the machines.  The machines have a chip-reader in the base of the dispenser, and only dispense beverages into an authorized cups.  The machines dispense flat or carbonated Dasani water in addition to the soda products, Powerade, and vitamin water.

3 hours ago, Brando95 said:

I did consider that but in reflecting on my habits I tend to seek out juices and coffee as a way to supplement my drink package. If I didn't have them included I don't think I'd be as inclined to go for a specialty coffee when I can just get regular coffee from the Windjammer or Cafe Promenade. If I was a big soda drinker than yeah that would've made that decision easier but whenever I've had the package I've never remembered to take my soda cup with me when I left the cabin anyway, or even used it all on board.

Never even opened our soda cups.  I got my ginger ale fix at bars.  Asked for a can at almost all of them during the week and was never refused.  

2 hours ago, EmptyNestTravels said:

On Harmony three weeks ago, the Freestyle machines were open for self-service at Sorrento's and in the Windjammer.  There were no COVID restrictions to use these self-serve vending machines other than washing your hands first (hand gel stations were conveniently located in front of each machine area). However, one must have a drink package (soda, refreshment, or DX) to get the authorized Freestyle cup with embedded chip in the bottom of it to be able to use the machines.  The machines have a chip-reader in the base of the dispenser, and only dispense beverages into an authorized cups.  The machines dispense flat or carbonated Dasani water in addition to the soda products, Powerade, and vitamin water.

The Freestyle machines dispensed water even if you didn't have the special cups.  It's very possible they've reconfigured it so that you need the special cups for even water now.