Cocoa Beach must-do's?

Lexster

One of our port days is Cape Canaveral and I see there's a bus line that goes right from the port to Cocoa Beach, which is nice and convenient. I've looked at vacation websites and stuff, but does anyone have any recommendations on things we should definitely look to do other than the obvious things like go to the beach or look around the shops on the pier? Any interesting places to eat that are highly recommended?

2 hours ago, Lexster said:

One of our port days is Cape Canaveral and I see there's a bus line that goes right from the port to Cocoa Beach, which is nice and convenient. I've looked at vacation websites and stuff, but does anyone have any recommendations on things we should definitely look to do other than the obvious things like go to the beach or look around the shops on the pier? Any interesting places to eat that are highly recommended?

We enjoyed the museum/fossils/rock shop, I think a few blocks from Ron Jon's.  I mean, even if you don't buy anything, it's fun to look around.  Still remember the framed bats....

21 hours ago, Lexster said:

Depending on how much time you have, the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex is rather interesting if science is your jam. The Astronaut Hall of Fame is right down the road from KSC as well.

Also, check out Spaceflightnow's launch schedule. Maybe you'll get lucky and get to watch a launch up close.

22 minutes ago, pheenix99 said:

Depending on how much time you have, the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex is rather interesting if science is your jam. The Astronaut Hall of Fame is right down the road from KSC as well.

Also, check out Spaceflightnow's launch schedule. Maybe you'll get lucky and get to watch a launch up close.

I actually did look for launches. Unfortunately there won't be any on the day we're there. I've considered the KSC too because I love space, but I figured Cocoa Beach would be simple since there's a bus that goes right there and comes right back to the port every 30 minutes. It's my first cruise and honestly my biggest fear is something going wrong and not making it back to the ship on time.

18 minutes ago, Lexster said:

I actually did look for launches. Unfortunately there won't be any on the day we're there. I've considered the KSC too because I love space, but I figured Cocoa Beach would be simple since there's a bus that goes right there and comes right back to the port every 30 minutes. It's my first cruise and honestly my biggest fear is something going wrong and not making it back to the ship on time.

Might be worth double checking launch windows. While there might not be a launch scheduled for the day you're there, but launch scrubs/reschedules are not entirely uncommon. Perhaps a launch will be scrubbed and rescheduled for the day you'll be there.

I'm still planning my first cruise, so I can completely understand your concerns. However, I don't entirely share your concerns for this particular port since I live in the county.

19 hours ago, LovetoCruise87 said:

The Dinosaur Store and Ron Jon's for sure and Caribe Brewery

• If you want to do only one thing and have never done it before I would suggest an Air Boat ride at Lone Cabbage Fish Camp. It is about a 25 minute ride from the port. 

Ooh, thanks! I hadn't seen the Dinosaur Store mentioned before. We'll definitely check that one out. We love museums.

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Shay said:

@Lexster can you share information about the bus line from the port to Cocoa Beach

I don't know a lot about it, but I've read there is a bus line near Port Canaveral. It's Line 9. Basically goes between Cap Canaveral and Coco Beach.

https://321transit.com/route-overview/route-9/14/weekday