Is the photography package worth it?

Is the photography package (digital prints) worth buying for a 3 day cruise? This is my first time on a Royal Caribbean cruise and didn't know how many photo ops there are on the ship and off. If anyone can help, please let me know.  We'll be on Independence of the Seas.

It really depends on what you want.  There will be many opportunities for posed pictures, and maybe a few opportunities for pictures at one of the ship events or pool.  

If it were me, I would hold off on buying it for a 3 day cruise and maybe just buy a few prints while on board.

In a word....no.

But everyone is different. 

Very few of the shots the photo guys take over the course of the cruise do we end up liking and the posed shots on stairs or with a backdrop....if you want one....dress up take the shot and then buy just that one.

On the flip side, I've paid for pro shoot sitting twice on a cruise and we still have them hanging in our dining room.

We have always ended up getting the photo package…twice should have been done before when we saw it more of a deal.

For us, we ended up getting to know the photographers and they took time with getting great shots for us. We love so many of them and some have become our Christmas Card. We were very impressed and have tons of memories attached to them. 

Totally a personal choice….but the camera loves us….lol

• 1 year later...
On 2/28/2022 at 7:45 PM, dodgestang said:

In a word....no.

But everyone is different. 

Very few of the shots the photo guys take over the course of the cruise do we end up liking and the posed shots on stairs or with a backdrop....if you want one....dress up take the shot and then buy just that one.

On the flip side, I've paid for pro shoot sitting twice on a cruise and we still have them hanging in our dining room.

how did you pay for pro shoot sitting?  i think i want to arrange that.  is that different from the photo package?

On our 7 night cruise in March  I was able to get the 100 photo package for $125. I did it because that was an amazing deal and would only get like 6 photos for that on board! Now for next year it’s $299 right now. Unless it drops I won’t get it.

it was nice not worrying about having to take my own photos. There were photographers everywhere to get so many pictures.

Dh and I did the photo 100 picture package (on sale for $125) on our 8 night sailing on the Anthem in February. We found the picture "poses" repetitive with just rotating backgrounds. The photographers seemed uncomfortable having anyone pose in any way other than classic prom poses.

Past the sameness of the photo options, I found it a few things odd

• We could only opt for all digital or all prints, no combinations
  • None of the shots from iFly or from dinner at Wonderland were included in the choices for our package. iFly photos were in fact almost MORE expensive than the actual iFly experience! Any photo taken on the ship should be included, period. 
  • The photo interface on the ship is clunky and difficult to use. We had just over 100 photos taken during the cruise and were unable to choose "all" then deselect a few.
  • Additionally, we would have had to choose each image individually to download. In the end we just paid $$ for them to put them all on a ship shaped USB so we didn't have to spend cruise time sitting in the photo area.

I travel to Walt Disney World a lot. They have a PhotoPass system that I can prepay for an unlimited # of photos before I arrive, or I can pick and choose by photo throughout and after my trip. The photographers are amazing, creative, and eager to provide a unique photo experience based on location and your group. The photographer scans my Magic Band/ticket/phone app and within 10-20 minutes I can view all the shots on my phone in their app. In the app I can immediately download them on my phone (if I prepaid), decide I want to buy on or more, or I can walk into a PhotoPass location and purchase a print. I can also wait until I return home, review all of my pictures, and purchase/download whatever I would like (there is a window of about 30 or 60 days).

Why is that kind of system so difficult for RCCL to emulate?

We have another 11 night cruise booked for next year. I am highly doubting that we will purchase any package unless there is a complete overhaul of RCCL's photo system. Unless you expect that you will need 100 repetitive prom shots of your group, I would skip the package.