Alaska wants cruises to be able to bypass Canada in 2022 too

barbeyg

1 hour ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

From what I can read CLIA is supportive of today’s announcement and Holland America has come out and said they are full steam ahead with Canadian cruises (Holland America homeports several ships in Vancouver for Alaska). Maybe the regulations are not as cumbersome as I interpret them 🤷‍♂️

For the most part they're the same as cruise lines are already following, other than having to test everyone before disembarkation

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

For the most part they're the same as cruise lines are already following, other than having to test everyone before disembarkation

Yes but the testing would be very cumbersome and expensive would it not, especially needing to staff the ships with testing personnel? I also feel expecting everyone to fill out the ArriveCAN app is unrealistic as well.

12 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

Yes but the testing would be very cumbersome and expensive would it not, especially needing to staff the ships with testing personnel? I also feel expecting everyone to fill out the ArriveCAN app is unrealistic as well.

It'd be a huge burden. They did it on the cruises that sailed out of the Bahamas, but that was with 900-1200 passengers and with a 3-day window, not 1-day

16 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

"In addition, Canada will require passengers to take a Covid-19 molecular test within 72 hours (or an antigen test within one day) of boarding a ship departing from Canada or calling at a Canadian port. Crew members and passengers will be required to self-monitor for symptoms."

Seattle round-trip Alaska cruises that meet the PVSA by stopping in Victoria would require tests for everyone who will get off the ship unless they change the itinerary to start with a stop in Victoria rather than that being the last port (short overnight hop to Seattle for disembarkation).

19 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Seattle round-trip Alaska cruises that meet the PVSA by stopping in Victoria would require tests for everyone who will get off the ship unless they change the itinerary to start with a stop in Victoria rather than that being the last port (short overnight hop to Seattle for disembarkation).

AND it would require all passengers to have a molecular test pre-cruise, since if the antigen testing is 2 days out from boarding, the antigen test wouldn't be accepted since it is more than one day before arriving in Canada.

image.png.4b33fba8aeb03b221edf6b239db6ff8d.png

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Antigen testing is up to 2 days prior to boarding. You could still use the same test for both checks.

What about port stops?  If you test 2 days prior to boarding going out of wherever (Boston, for example), but you don't hit a Canadian port until 3 days later, that's not having a negative test 2 or 3 days prior.  That's what's throwing me off.

34 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

What about port stops?  If you test 2 days prior to boarding going out of wherever (Boston, for example), but you don't hit a Canadian port until 3 days later, that's not having a negative test 2 or 3 days prior.  That's what's throwing me off.

Sorry my brain is on Canada homeport cruise rules since I've got one coming up

32 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

The only option is for the cruise line to provide antigen tests for all passengers wanting to disembark at said port. This is why I’m surprised there hasn’t been backlash from the cruise lines regarding this announcement.

The only thing I can think of (hope for) is that there is still behind the scenes negotiations going on (similar to what happened with the current CSO for US based cruises) and a few weeks from now this requirement will quietly be dropped.