Time to dump Cats?

Censored

Can confirm the version of Cats they show now is an abridged 1hr30 min cut with no intermissions.  Was the second time I saw a production of it, and yeah, even as a lover of broadway in general, its drags, (even in a shorter cut).  

It just has very little plot (the cats gather to pick a cat to go to kitty heaven, so it can be reborn into a new life) and then the whole length of the show is just vignettes of different "cats" basically introducing themselves (each gets a song/performance).  One gets picked in the end, and thats pretty much it.  

I'm sure in the 80s it was considered lavish and the costumes out of this world and the choreography spellbinding, but in 2022 it just hasn't aged well.  Maybe an extreme cat person might find some chuckles in the depictions of different kitty personalities but as for entertainment for general cruise-goers- nah.    Songs aren't really particular good or memorable, other than, um,  Memory.  

Still, I give no fault to the production itself.  The performers themselves all do a excellent job, and everything is staged well and looks great.  It's just that Cats can't help but being Cat's.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/12/2022 at 9:05 AM, PG Cruiser said:

Looks like there will be no Broadway-style musical on the Wonder for now.  I've read somewhere that the production show in the main theater will be an original Royal production called "Voices."  

I'm probably in the minority here, but I loved Cats on the Oasis... all three showings of it... including the one interrupted several times with the announcement on the PA system for those who haven't been tested yet.  They probably knew I was the only one who loved it so they let me take a picture with them! 😜

image.thumb.png.fbfe17f37d93d4371c4e5122f0814e85.png

I liked it too!  We went to see it twice on board. And then, when we got home, it was playing at The Fox, downtown and we went and saw it there too. But I understand how it's not everyone's cup of tea.