Sailing with Vaccinated Kids 5-11

Atricks

This past weekend was the first weekend children 5-11 could officially be fully vaccinated and sail.  I'm looking for any first hand reports of what the differences were on boarding and on board (Shows, Kids Club, etc).

We have a sailing with one on the 19th (Allure) and there's things like, no way to upload the vaccine card in the royal app for her, and getting emails about the at port test.  However the instructions say she'll be treated as vaccinated.  (So we're doing the antigen at the same time we are).  

I've heard people not having a problem getting on board with that so far, but what I haven't heard anything about is:

Any changes with Adventure Ocean for them (particularly with time block limits) ?    What about booking "V" only shows with the app?  I have a strong suspicion you won't be able to without going to guest services (just based on the vax card upload issue since my programmer brain says, that's just an age check)  

We did Odyssey in September but that sailing had few enough kids the capacity wasn't an issue in AO.  But I know the 19th cruise is probably going to be loaded.

We just finished Anthem with all unvax'd kids (our oldest hit "fully vaccinated" on our last cruise day), but I was very aware of what she could do IF she was fully vax'd. 

1 hour ago, Atricks said:

no way to upload the vaccine card in the royal app for her, and getting emails about the at port test.  However the instructions say she'll be treated as vaccinated

Call Royal Caribbean and see if you can get her tagged as vaccinated, which should enable you to upload the card. Looking back on it now, IF our oldest was fully vaccinated during check-in, we could have easily shown her vax card and gotten her a bracelet. I think the pre-cruise app upload is a pulse check for guests that they can't sneak through - I don't recall anything about the pre-cruise app upload being cross-referenced at check-in, our cards were just checked independently the moment we entered the terminal, and we were either issued bracelets, or forwarded for testing of unvax'd kids.

Any changes with Adventure Ocean for them (particularly with time block limits) ?

AO is still considered an "Everyone" venue - she'll have to wear a mask during sessions, and you won't get any grace on time periods/limits for being vaccinated.

What about booking "V" only shows with the app?

Vaccine status is enforced on the ship, not in the app. Once you're on the ship, the app doesn't discriminate between vaccinated and unvaccinated members of your party. The staff is very good about seeing kids and looking for bracelets/asking vax status to ensure guests are directed to the most appropriate location for an "Everyone" event. Your daughter will get a "vaccinated" bracelet (some ships have a rubber bracelet, some still have the cloth bracelets) just like adults - that will be GOLD for her on the ship, and show staff that she can join V* only events, or sit in V* locations.

But I know the 19th cruise is probably going to be loaded.

I've been hearing this too - we had 12 hours of AO time when we boarded, and were told to re-check on Day 4 if additional time is available (AO staff gauges traffic on the first three days to ensure everyone gets a chance). Sessions on Anthem were 9a-12pm, 2p-5p, and 7p-10p (all 3 hour sessions). We personally used all morning sessions, and usually booked the next day when picking up (book Day 3 morning on Day 2 pickup, etc). Day 5 was Coco Cay, so on Day 4 we tried to book Day 6 but it was full, so ended up booking Day 7. 

When we cruise again, once we board, we're going to register ASAP and book Day 2. Then we're going to sweep through the schedule on the Royal app and reserve shows, coordinate with the entertainment schedule, and ID times there's nothing else interesting, and then call AO and book the remainder of our allocated time. If more time becomes available on Day 4, we'd book additional sessions then. DON'T sleep on booking your sessions, especially as capacity fills up going into the holiday!

7 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Keeping them 6 feet apart. Not allowing them to share any toys or supplies. That's the reason slots are so limited.

This was 100% NOT the case last week on Anthem. All three of our kids were in AO: one in Babies & Tots, two in Aquanauts. The two in Aquanauts were playing with other kids in close quarters, sharing toys, sharing supplies. The only thing not "normal" were masks. I also assume the limited slots are staffing related, as all of the extra-curricular staff (rock wall, iFly, North Star, AO, SeaPlex, etc) was down about 50% - There were only two staff members each in Aquanauts and AO Babies, and if I had to guess, more staff would mean more availability. The Aquanauts and AO Babies areas on Anthem aren't massive, either. 

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Man that's great to hear. I hope that's fleet wide. On Adventure in July it was super strict (and they still quarantined kids for close contacts of an AO kid that tested positive)

I'm sorry you had that experience! I certainly hope it spreads fleet-wide, I know a few more family parties traveling soon and can report back. 

I am going to call RC tomorrow since my kids became fully vaxed this week.  When I spoke to an agent before she asked if I was vaccinated and she marked our file and I asked about the kids since they would be and she said call back once they are fully vaxed and then she can mark them.  I am hoping once their file is marked that I can then upload their card.

I am super curious about AO kids and wondering how they will handle vaxed kids and non-vaxed since the strict rules are not needed for vaxed.

10 hours ago, IzzyB said:

I am super curious about AO kids and wondering how they will handle vaxed kids and non-vaxed since the strict rules are not needed for vaxed.

I'd imagine it would be like any other mixed indoor venue. AO isn't big enough to handle two areas for vax or unvax kids. Just gonna be a mix with masks and various protocols in place.

10 hours ago, IzzyB said:

I am going to call RC tomorrow since my kids became fully vaxed this week.  When I spoke to an agent before she asked if I was vaccinated and she marked our file and I asked about the kids since they would be and she said call back once they are fully vaxed and then she can mark them.  I am hoping once their file is marked that I can then upload their card.

Sailing this weekend, so I asked about this via their facebook team yesterday and was told they're not marking people anymore, just bring the vaccination record to the port and they'll handle it there. 

I did go ahead and accept the appointment for the on-site test for the kiddo, but expect to bypass it as he reached 14 days from the 2nd dose yesterday.

21 minutes ago, joshvc said:

Sailing this weekend, so I asked about this via their facebook team yesterday and was told they're not marking people anymore, just bring the vaccination record to the port and they'll handle it there. 

I did go ahead and accept the appointment for the on-site test for the kiddo, but expect to bypass it as he reached 14 days from the 2nd dose yesterday.

The Facebook team's response matches my experience last week. 

As for the on-site test, you did the right thing. When you enter the port, you should be able to show everyone's vax card, get a bracelet, and bypass testing entirely. You may want to mention you made the appointment but will be skipping it, just on the off-chance they get to the end of the day and notice a no-show test appointment for a guest already onboard and someone hits the panic button. 

1 hour ago, joshvc said:

How are they assigning tables in the correct area for traditional seating if they are not marking people.  They do this ahead of time, correct?

4 minutes ago, Pamp said:

How are they assigning tables in the correct area for traditional seating if they are not marking people.  They do this ahead of time, correct?

A clarifying point - I think there's a difference between the pre-cruise check-in process and the on-board experience:

• The pre-cruise check-in process still differentiates vaccinated and unvaccinated, as it influences who has to upload vaccine info, and who needs a pre-boarding test. This is still in effect. This would also influence MDR seating assignments.
  • The on-board experience does NOT differentiate between vaccinated and unvaccinated - this is enforced on-board via wristbands. This would influence V* vs E* activities. 

For example, I never received a warning when I tried to book myself and an unvaccinated traveler in V*-only activity (North Star). I didn't follow through to the end of the booking, but there was never an "ineligible" flag. I DID recieve an "ineligible" flag when I tired to book bumper cars a second time, or sign up someone for iFly/North Star/bumper cars that didn't qualify due to age. This tells me the Royal app has the capability for ineligibility, but they're not enforcing it from the perspective of vaccination status.

10 hours ago, joshvc said:

I called and the guy said we are all marked as vaccinated which is clearly wrong since my 4 year old can't be vaccinated.  I also asked about PCR tests and if ID Now is accepted as PCR and he was lost.  I don't think this guy was very well trained.

10 hours ago, Matt said:

I'd imagine it would be like any other mixed indoor venue. AO isn't big enough to handle two areas for vax or unvax kids. Just gonna be a mix with masks and various protocols in place.

I was told unvaccinated had to be 6 feet in AO and that is what made the capacity lower and a bad experience.  So now they have vaxed mixed in that won't need to distance I was curious if they would change anything.  But based on the call I just had and from someone else stating something I am thinking vaxed will be treated like unvaxed in AO.

12 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I don't know how they could have a vax/unvax section in AO, unfortunately.

You can't, to be honest. The spaces aren't set up for that, and it would stretch staffing real thin (it's already thin to begin with). The only way it becomes vaccinated is if the entire ship is vaccinated

I was more thinking to allow more capacity they could have vax and unvax sessions for AO.  The vax wouldn't have to social distance and therefore they could increase how many attend that session.

I don't care about the mixing, I just don't like what some have said about how strict they are with social distancing in AO and how hard it is to even get a slot there. 

Honestly this will be our last cruise with RC unless they start mandating vaccines for all those that can.  It makes AO very hard compared to other cruiselines.  My son should be able to get vaccinated early next year and then at that point we can go on other cruiselines which I will do instead.  RC seems to have zero plan to handle the mix of unvaxed and vaxed kids with the social distancing and reduced capacity yet I am hearing my holiday cruise may be at 80% which is NOT what the CEO originally stated.  He said December would be 65%.  So I am all around a little disappointed in all of this.  You can't increase to 80% and still have the same protocols in place.

9 minutes ago, IzzyB said:

It makes AO very hard compared to other cruiselines. 

In fairness, other cruise lines aren't even running their kids clubs. I think Carnival just started theirs up (or is going to), but DCL isn't running their clubs yet.

I do agree there is a problem if Royal is scaling up ship capacity well over 50% but AO capacity is still stuck at a fraction of what it could be pre-pandemic.

30 minutes ago, IzzyB said:

I was more thinking to allow more capacity they could have vax and unvax sessions for AO.  The vax wouldn't have to social distance and therefore they could increase how many attend that session.

I don't care about the mixing, I just don't like what some have said about how strict they are with social distancing in AO and how hard it is to even get a slot there. 

Honestly this will be our last cruise with RC unless they start mandating vaccines for all those that can.  It makes AO very hard compared to other cruiselines.  My son should be able to get vaccinated early next year and then at that point we can go on other cruiselines which I will do instead.  RC seems to have zero plan to handle the mix of unvaxed and vaxed kids with the social distancing and reduced capacity yet I am hearing my holiday cruise may be at 80% which is NOT what the CEO originally stated.  He said December would be 65%.  So I am all around a little disappointed in all of this.  You can't increase to 80% and still have the same protocols in place.

We got off Anthem last week, and there was zero social distancing in AO, only masking. We had no objection to this. There were still capacity limits, and I personally believe that's driven by staffing shortages. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

In fairness, other cruise lines aren't even running their kids clubs. I think Carnival just started theirs up (or is going to), but DCL isn't running their clubs yet.

I do agree there is a problem if Royal is scaling up ship capacity well over 50% but AO capacity is still stuck at a fraction of what it could be pre-pandemic.

And them not running them is why we are on RC.  But they will be starting to run them as kids can be fully vaccinated, so that is why we would move over.  Carnival is most likely who we would sale with as my understanding they have some great ships for kids.  We would have been on them if their kids club for under 5 would have opened with the 5 and over.  But our 4 year old throws everything off.

44 minutes ago, MattG said:

We got off Anthem last week, and there was zero social distancing in AO, only masking. We had no objection to this. There were still capacity limits, and I personally believe that's driven by staffing shortages. 

I haven't heard the same from the Oasis class ships, so we will see how Harmony is.  I am hoping to use them a couple times as the whole reason we picked RC over Carnival and paid 3k extra was because of the AO being open and Carnival not having theirs open for the under 5 crowd yet.