For Those That Have Done Alaska Cruise - I Have Questions

Mike T

Wife and I are contemplating the Alaska Glacier Cruise in July 2022.  I have a few things I'm curious about...

We have been on one 3N to the Bahamas (and taking our teens in January as part of Christmas gift)...For me, that cruise is a chill out, relax, enjoy the pool on board and the islands.  I see Alaska as more of a sightseeing type of cruise and being more "busy" at the scheduled ports during the days.

I'm stating the obvious here but I guess a balcony with view is the right choice for this geographic area....

What is the temperature up there like in July on the ship?  When I think of Alaska, I think of cold weather (and I'm a warm weather guy!)  I would assume I'm not gonna be in the pool on board on sea days(?)  and maybe wearing long pants for most of this cruise and going to need to pack long sleeves and a hoodie?  I'm not trying to be silly but I'm curious.

Seeing as I'm a beach dude and enjoy just hanging out I know this would be completely different trip at the port stops, than say CocoCay Bahamas where I'm just chilling for the day.  What types of excursions are offered and any that those have been on would highly recommend?

I appreciate your input and insights as we look for another adventure!

Weather in Alaska varies quite a bit. On my first cruise, it was cool (50 deg or so) and light rain most of the time.  If I had a balcony it would have been wasted.

On my second cruise, I had a balcony and it was 80 degrees and sunny every day.  In fact Princess cruises said we had the best weather of any cruise they had ever had in 35 years of cruising. 

Both of these cruises was in June. I  think my first experience is more typical. 

One more data point. Weather.com says June and July are the dry months. Each of those months average only 15 rainy days!

Enjoy your cruise.  Alaska is spectacular in any weather 😍 

I have been on several Alaska cruises.   I have gone in about every month offered for Alaska.  It will be hit and miss on weather.  You will no doubt hit rain at some point. I usually take a 1 way cruise in Alaska to be able to see the larger Hubbard glacier.  Then fly home from Anchorage.   Even when it is sunny, you have cold air coming off the glaciers.  Often when you go outside  on deck they hand out blankets.   Once on an August cruise I ventured out to the outdoor pool, was only one in pool.  Was not warm. But I have seen amazing things on Alaska cruises.   A huge kodiak bear swimming along side of the cruise ship.   In early months, like June seal calves are born.  The farther north you go there is chunks of ice floating all around with baby seals on them   Like hundreds.  You can do a lot by just walking off from ship.   Ketchikan and Skagway are my favorite ports.  There is a lumberjack show that is fun in Ketchikan.  Narrow gauge train up White Pass in Skagway is good also. You will not need shorts, unless you need for the gym/spa.  Only a swimsuit if there is an indoor solarium pool or hot tub.  Packing is harder because you need boots and warm clothes, plus on-ship clothes (like dressier items).   If you have never been to Alaska if will be a great trip.  Enjoy