Clothing

Amanda1123

I am wondering about the dress code on the cruise ship when we eat dinner in the MDR. Will my son and husband be able to wear khaki shorts for dinner with a polo shirt or does it have to be khaki pants? 

Also, will my daughter be able to wear jean capris to dinner or does she need dress up pants as well? 

Thank you! 

So the MDR likes to bill itself as "dressy casual" on all nights but "formal" night. Usually the kind of things you'd wear to a semi-fancy restaurant.

But the reality is much more laid back and your family should be fine in what you've described. I, myself, have worn denim capris and a blouse-type top to dinner and not felt in any way under dressed.

I think your plans with the kids are just fine, particularly with Polo shirts. I rarely see dress up being enforced, especially for children, just probably avoid the obvious: swim trunks, bikinis, flip flops, tube tops, torn or ripped clothes, etc. The MDR has got more relaxed over the years and I see people wearing jeans and polos or jeans and blouses all the time. Your daughter could even wear a sundress and be just fine. 

We were recently on the Explorer for a 7N Cruise and here was our break down:

5 nights were labeled as Casual

1 night labeled as Dress Your Best

1 night labeled as Formal

On the casual nights i wore my khaki shorts and a t-shirt, on the two other nights i work jeans and a polo (one night we were at Izumi).

My wife and i were discussing this last night and our recommendation is to pack at least a pair of "fancy jeans" and a "nice polo / blouse" to have in case you happen to be on the cruise where they start enforcing things that they have not been enforcing.  You would at least be able to run back to the cabin and change real quick.

We did have a "long time cruiser" turn up his nose when we walked in with our shorts on one of the casual nights, but he had worn a full tux on formal night, so he probably has a different opinion 🙂

My thought has always been that if what someone else is wearing "ruins your experience" then you probably aren't paying much attention to your own business.