Jump to content

Shorts in MDR?


 Share

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Paternes said:

I will be on Mariner on Nov 2nd, so excited! I would think right now they wont say anything as the buffet is closed for dinner, so there really isn't an option. That is my guess. 

I have heard we need a reservation for breakfast and lunch at Windjammer.  I do not see away to do that in cruise planner. I made reservations for dinner. Does anyone know if we need a reservation and if yes how to do it? Thank you!!!!

Just did Mariner twice, no reservations required/needed for Windjammer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, SWFL Cruisers said:

My wife and I typically sail on Celebrity and we know the dress code says "No Shorts" however, on our last three cruises since the restart it was not enforced at all. My question is can anyone who has sailed RCL lately tell me if they are allowing shorts in the dining room? We are on the Mariner this weekend and only want to pack what we need. TIA

I have definitely worn nice shorts with a collard shirt in the MDR. I'm on vacay, pants are for work! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, GKMCruising said:

I've gotta wonder if staff would draw the line *somewhere* in regards to dress code. Someone see what happens if you show up at the MDR in a bathrobe. 🤣

This was a few years ago but i witnessed a man in the MDR with a bathrobe and slippers at lunch.  I'm not sure how he got in but we was going up for a salad when he was approached by a crew member.  He commented "I was at the pool" to which the reply was "well, I recommend you go back there".  He was escorted out of the dining room.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just off Mariner last week. I am the type who will respect the dress codes and hope they will enforce it ..... But could care less what others do and care even less if others don't like that I dress casual. I checked with the dining room staff before showing up for dinner and they assured me shorts were fine. I skipped formal night in MDR out of respect for the tradition but I do believe they were fine with dress shorts on formal night also. Windjammer was closed for dinner on my cruise but there were less than 1000 passengers. I did not have to make reservations for breakfast or lunch .... But had a standing rez for dinner and they seated me at the same table each night 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't understand, they make beautiful shorts that are fancy now. What if you have hot legs, in both senses, and need to wear shorts? I don't care what other wear, as long as they have on clothes. I also think it a vacation so to each their own. My brother has work shorts that he pairs with button-downs when he goes to job sites, he is a mechanical engineer, and he is bringing them on the cruise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I don't understand, they make beautiful shorts that are fancy now. What if you have hot legs, in both senses, and need to wear shorts? I don't care what other wear, as long as they have on clothes. I also think it a vacation so to each their own. My brother has work shorts that he pairs with button-downs when he goes to job sites, he is a mechanical engineer, and he is bringing them on the cruise. 

I just like showing off my tattoos, of which I am very covered on both arms and legs 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's a good look at the ghost of cruising past as to why we even have a formal night. It won't be that long in my opinion (and we're already seeing it now with the "dress your best" night instead of "formal night") when khakis and a nice shirt become overly formal for the MDR

 

https://www.cruiselinehistory.com/history-of-cruise-fashion/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2021 at 8:59 AM, loki007 said:

I have definitely worn nice shorts with a collard shirt in the MDR. I'm on vacay, pants are for work! 

You wear pants for work!? Faaaancy! 😉

I have definitely worn my "dress shorts" in the MDR along with a collared shirt -- in part because I completely forgot to change one night! But fear not -- I wasn't struck by lightning or anything!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/13/2021 at 9:23 AM, SWFL Cruisers said:

My wife and I typically sail on Celebrity and we know the dress code says "No Shorts" however, on our last three cruises since the restart it was not enforced at all. My question is can anyone who has sailed RCL lately tell me if they are allowing shorts in the dining room? We are on the Mariner this weekend and only want to pack what we need. TIA

As others have stated, you can get away with shorts in the MDR, and we had to do that when the airline lost our luggage.  But consider this:  There are many casual venues on every ship, but only a few where "nice" clothes are suggested at particular times.  If you were celebrating an anniversary, wedding, quinceanera, or other special occasion, wouldn't you like a designated dining option where most of the patrons "dressed up" to create a suitable atmosphere?  I only ask for 1 night a week of consideration for others who are trying to make a special event truly special.  We were told on Oasis class that Central Park 150 was such a place, but we found more casual clothes there than in the MDR on formal night.  (We have found specialty restaurants not special at all.)  We accommodate everyone -- who knows what circumstances lead them to wear what they wear?  But the flipside of that is for most patrons to respect the desires of celebrants on a designated special night (formal night).   We've always observed on Formal Night that most guests dress nicely in the MDR. 

Whatever you choose to do, have a great trip!  Just think a little about other guests and the impact your choices may have. Dress probably isn't as important as other behavior (we once had a loud drunk in the next stateroom who drove us bonkers), but everything we do on a ship does impact others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2021 at 7:07 AM, ChessE4 said:

As others have stated, you can get away with shorts in the MDR, and we had to do that when the airline lost our luggage.  But consider this:  There are many casual venues on every ship, but only a few where "nice" clothes are suggested at particular times.  If you were celebrating an anniversary, wedding, quinceanera, or other special occasion, wouldn't you like a designated dining option where most of the patrons "dressed up" to create a suitable atmosphere? 

No. This argument has always made me scratch my head. I don't rely on other people dressing or not dressing a certain way to enjoy myself. For example, my wife and I go to Capital Grille each year for our anniversary. We wear nice but fairly casual clothes - higher-end jeans/nice shirt for me, dress for her. But we live in a fairly casual city, and it's not unusual to see people roll in to Capital Grille (easily a $100-$200 per person dinner) in shorts and a t-shirt. What they're wearing has no impact on the enjoyment my wife and I have at our dinner. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Zacharius said:

No. This argument has always made me scratch my head. I don't rely on other people dressing or not dressing a certain way to enjoy myself. For example, my wife and I go to Capital Grille each year for our anniversary. We wear nice but fairly casual clothes - higher-end jeans/nice shirt for me, dress for her. But we live in a fairly casual city, and it's not unusual to see people roll in to Capital Grille (easily a $100-$200 per person dinner) in shorts and a t-shirt. What they're wearing has no impact of the enjoyment my wife and I have at our dinner. 

I think you are missing my point.  It's not about you at all.  Social conventions are about others, not ourselves.  But I realize that many people want a more casual experience all of the time, not just some of the time.  This is why the casual venues exist, and this is also why one can lobby Royal to change policies.  Many people are also foodies, and they seek out specialty restaurants entirely for the menu, not the ambience, of which attire is a part.  At any rate, I have said my piece, and my wife and I wish everyone a great cruse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/13/2021 at 10:23 AM, twangster said:

My shorts are hiking pants with zip on legs.  Shorts by day, long pants for the MDR then immediately back to shorts for the rest of the night.

I fly with them too.  Planes can be cold but when you land in Florida I can't stand having long pants on while lugging my luggage around so I get off the plane and immediately remove my zip on legs.  

I envy you,those zip off always rubbed me the wrong way. My lads love the zip off shorts!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every place and situation has rules. Are there always going to be the grown versions of oppositional disorder onboard who just need to give the world the middle finger ? To quote @Matt, Yup. But most of us understand the guidelines and can live with wearing the requisite clothes to dinner on a cruise without much whining (since there is always Panama City Beach where the rules are “anything goes” for those who prefer that style).

 

@twangsterso I have wondered, are those zippers not scratchy??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...