Walk Up Priority vs. Dining Package

Since dining packages are purchased at a discount pre-cruise, are they given less priority when walking up to a specialty restaurant without a reservation vs. walking up without a dining package (paying full price)? When I was on Celebrity Edge a couple months ago, I had a dining package but couldn't get into any restaurant without a reservation even though they were half empty, so I was wondering if I didn't have the package, they would seat me if I was going to pay full price. I was told that since it was the first US cruise, they weren't fully staffed and couldn't fill the restaurant. I felt like if I was in a suite, I would have had no problem getting seated. Isn't this one of the reasons why they ask for you cabin # when walking up?

I usually don't like to make reservations ahead of time as I like to dine when I am hungry, but I'm getting the impression that with specialty dining, reservations are essential on Royal. I just don't want to purchase the UDP if I won't be able to make reservations once onboard. 

Walk-ins for specialty dining is dependent on availability.  It won't matter if you have the package or not. If they don't have the ability to seat you when you walk up, they will turn you away.

I would highly recommend making reservations to guarantee you have somewhere to dine.  Depending on your ship, there is always the option of Playmakers or Johnny Rockets which typically don't require a reservation.

You can also use the app and make and change dining reservations.  I made multiple for the same evening, even when I was only going to do a takeout order so the kitchen would be ready for me.  I would often see last minute space available on the app for reservation, especially at the earliest and latest dining times.

I make reservations right away for dining on 1st day.   Even if I need to cancel later on or move the reservation.  I review the itinerary before hand to see where we might be, in port, etc.  And then make reservations according to that as best I can.  And main shows are usually based around the 2 main seating times in main dining rm. If there is seating available in a restaurant they will seat you, whether or not you have UDP or not.   I think the RC App will make reservations so much easier to book and see availability.

On 8/11/2021 at 3:08 PM, avidtravelgeek said:

Thanks for the input. It sounds like my best option is to book a package and reserve immediately on board. 

Is there a time cutoff for changing or cancelling a reservation? In other words, is there a fee if you don't show up for a reservation or are late in changing/cancelling?

I'm not aware of an official policy such as after 15 minutes your spot is lost.  I imagine a lot depends on how busy they are.

Royal isn't in the business to upset customers so they always try to accommodate but there are limits to that.  If prime time is 6pm to 7pm but there are no reservations available so you book 5pm with the intention of appearing in the middle of prime time at 6:30pm you are probably going to be disappointed.  

It may also depend on how many are in your group.  Most table are for 2 or 4 guests.  If there are 8 in your group and you are an hour late they probably won't be able to accommodate you.  Two guests may have better luck in this scenario unless they are slammed that night.

There is a certain point where they will not refund you for a no-show but I'm not sure it's common knowledge.  

If you are in Star class it won't matter.

If you are Sky class you can maybe push your luck a bit with decent success.

If you are not in a suite your ability to push the limits will most likely suffer.  

Pre-purchasing dining on the Cruise Planner has the major disadvantage of not being able to make reservations prior to sailing. I usually buy the three meal specialty dining on a seven night cruise, but then I stress having to get on board quickly so I can make my reservations for the week. Back in the pre-Covid days, that was typically not a problem as they kept many spots open for reserving on board. Now, with limited capacity seating, it’s going to be more of a challenge…and more stress.

5 hours ago, BrianB said:

Pre-purchasing dining on the Cruise Planner has the major disadvantage of not being able to make reservations prior to sailing. I usually buy the three meal specialty dining on a seven night cruise, but then I stress having to get on board quickly so I can make my reservations for the week. Back in the pre-Covid days, that was typically not a problem as they kept many spots open for reserving on board. Now, with limited capacity seating, it’s going to be more of a challenge…and more stress.

The UDP wasn't available anymore so I just booked the 3-night package, which I think is better anyway. I will just have to reserve as soon as I get onboard. It's almost worth it to pay full price and pre-purchase, as I did this with the Sushi & Sake lunch and was able to reserve the day I wanted with no problem. 

53 minutes ago, avidtravelgeek said:

The UDP wasn't available anymore so I just booked the 3-night package, which I think is better anyway. I will just have to reserve as soon as I get onboard. It's almost worth it to pay full price and pre-purchase, as I did this with the Sushi & Sake lunch and was able to reserve the day I wanted with no problem. 

That’s what I’m thinking of doing…..the 3 night dining package price usually stays the same on the Planner. But is it worth it to just pay the extra price to have peace of mind and secure reservations individually online….especially during sea days. For me it would make sense because I usually eat at the same time, early!