Drink Package ?

Boltswin

I know that RCCL says you can't share the drink package. My question is what is considered sharing by RCCL. I know you can't get a drink at one bar for yourself and then walk to the next bar and get another drink for somebody else. However can you give another person (wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, family, etc) a drink or two from your drink.

Long question short, is it he letter of the law or spirit of the law?

That's a very interesting question that my husband and I have discussed ourselves.

Technically, "no means no", so the person without the package shouldn't even have a sip of someone's drink from a package.

That said, I'm quite positive that no bartender is going to care if you let the other person have just a sip of your drink. Who knows, maybe it'd encourage sales by the other person ordering that drink for themselves. I've done it myself in the past (letting a friend try one of my drinks) and I don't recall anyone ever looking askance.

I think Marc said it best with "no means no," but then again Royal's official policy is that you can't bring nonalcoholic drinks onboard either, even though they rarely deny anyone from doing so.

I don't think anyone would bat an eye at a sip or a taste. I also want to applaud you for asking as it shows that your conscientious about the rules.

I don't think they are going to say anything about a sip..unless it becomes constant and more than that.

I was cruising with a couple that got engaged while on the cruise! I wanted to get them a drink to celebrate and I had a drink package.

The bartender would not even cover one of the drinks I bought them under my package.

So it really is only for what you can or will drink. No option to buy or share a drink for anyone else.

My .02 on this is that no one will probably ever know that you're sharing you're drinks with your companion, except YOU. If that's not enough to dissuade you from doing it, then that's your answer. Offering a taste, if followed by a PURCHASE on the companion's behalf is more than normal. Finishing YOURS, and then ordering another with every intention of giving it to your wife/husband is a complete moral no no. IMHO

I look at the impact rather than the rule or whether or not anyone would get caught.

Am I giving someone a taste so they can try something?  Well that's probably not taking the place of them paying money for a drink.  In fact, it the opposite could happen.  I could give my friend a taste and he or she, based on that taste could decide to go purchase a drink.  Playing devil's advocate, I could argue that my friend might have paid for a drink to try it, and decided he/she didn't like it after a taste.  The issue here is that at most bars (on land and sea), bartenders will replace your drink with something else if you didn't like it.  We don't often do this as it makes some people feel uncomfortable, but it's no skin off the barkeep's back, and helps ensure a happy customer, which is a profitable customer.

Maybe the swallow or two isnt to try it, but to wash something down, or quench a very minor thirst.  Would they have bought something for this purpose instead, or would they have perhaps just got a free glass of water?  If they'd have gone for the water, then once again, no sale has been prevented, no revenue has been lost.

In short, I don't think it's an issue if someone takes a sip from your drink, though I will admit that if someone sees you do this right as you walk from the bar they might be inclined to think otherwise - but I wouldn't sweat that to much.

Just my thoughts.

To me, a sip or two is fine.  We all do that at restaurants "my food is amazing, have a bite". The issue is when you give them that drink.  I think Marc is correct in his assessment of the package benefits cannot be used for anyone else.