Phone

Sawyer

I think we need more information to answer this.

First off, download the apps before your cruise while you are at home or on a wifi connection.  Then there should be no charges assuming your wifi doesn't charge you.

If you download anything, including apps, over cellular you might be charged but that depends on your cell plan.  I have an unlimited plan that includes a lot of data in most countries so no charge to download apps for me.  Your cell plan may be different than mine so YMMV.

If you are out of the country and refused or forgot to download any apps before leaving the US try to find a wifi hotspot like at a coffee shop, bar or hotel.  

The best plan is to download any cruise apps before you leave the US.

2 hours ago, Sawyer said:

If I am using my phone to download the apps for the cruise, am I charged since I am not in the US?

The biggest thing you want to do is make sure your phone is ALWAYS in “Airplane Mode” before leaving port to make sure you aren’t using your cellular service or cellular data or you’ll be in for a huge shock when your next bill comes.  All you have to do after that is turn the WiFi back on if it turns off when you put on Airplane Mode and anything free from royal and/or the WiFi package you purchased will still be able to be used thru the WiFi.

Like everyone else has said:

- while you are at home/in the US you shouldn't be charged for downloading apps and what not on wifi or using your data (unless you go over your own data package of course)

- BUT once you get on the ship think of it almost immediately as a foreign territory and turn your phone on AIRPLANE mode. You can also double secure it by turning off mobile data and roaming to be extra extra sure nothing goes through that could charge you. (Technically you have until the ship reaches international waters but there's no clear line on when that is after departure and you certainly do not want to forget when you're too busy enjoying cruise day)

- THEN turn on Wi-FI ONLY. This can be done while maintaining the disconnect from cell towers  (airplane mode) which is what causes charges. The Royal app and all features within are able to be used without having to buy a Royal Caribbean internet package. There is a daily charge for the messaging feature in the app ($1.99/day/device I think -  @Matt knows best) but that is an optional use feature and as far as I've heard you will not be required to use it for anything on board.