Allure & Symphony get test cruise approval

So I’m due to sail on Allure 22nd August. I was told by rcl that I would receive the latest cruise conditions 30 days prior. How can this now happen when the test cruise is after that date?

Im travelling from the UK (hopefully) and will have unvaccinated children. I need to know the policy before 30 days. I also would like to know what the on board experience will be like, masks etc.

July should definitely be cancelled and done with. The big unknown are the cruises that fall within a few weeks after the test cruises take place. Someone like me who has an 8/14 sailing on Symphony gets stuck in limbo. This is my first Oasis class sailing, so I don't want to cancel if there's a chance. BUT, if there's no chance, then I would prefer to get moving and cancel/re-book on Adventure for the same week. 

13 minutes ago, icf75 said:

So I’m due to sail on Allure 22nd August. I was told by rcl that I would receive the latest cruise conditions 30 days prior. How can this now happen when the test cruise is after that date?

Im travelling from the UK (hopefully) and will have unvaccinated children. I need to know the policy before 30 days. I also would like to know what the on board experience will be like, masks etc.

Those of us on Adventure of the Seas in 9 days still don't have the covid protocols yet.

The good news is that Allure will have hopefully passed her test cruise and you have a reasonable hope that your cruise will go.

11 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

Those of us on Adventure of the Seas in 9 days still don't have the covid protocols yet.

The good news is that Allure will have hopefully passed her test cruise and you have a reasonable hope that your cruise will go.

It may well go but I need to know 30 days prior as that’s when I need to cancel the alternative accommodation I have booked.

7 minutes ago, icf75 said:

It may well go but I need to know 30 days prior as that’s when I need to cancel the alternative accommodation I have booked.

Keep in mind that they are requiring anyone 12 and over to be vaccinated - that has already been announced. If your kids are over 12, they may not have been able to get it in UK.

Keep in mind also that it will be tentative until Allure passes it test cruise - only a few weeks before.  We don't know how long it will take to be approved by the CDC for full cruises.  I doubt you will have certainty within the 30 days you are requiring.

31 minutes ago, jensspark said:

July should definitely be cancelled and done with. The big unknown are the cruises that fall within a few weeks after the test cruises take place. Someone like me who has an 8/14 sailing on Symphony gets stuck in limbo. This is my first Oasis class sailing, so I don't want to cancel if there's a chance. BUT, if there's no chance, then I would prefer to get moving and cancel/re-book on Adventure for the same week. 

Finger crossed you get some answers soon.  Adventure is a great ship I've sailed on her numerous times but there is nothing that can compare to an Oasis Class ship.  My fingers are crossed your sailing does not get canceled.

50 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

Finger crossed you get some answers soon.  Adventure is a great ship I've sailed on her numerous times but there is nothing that can compare to an Oasis Class ship.  My fingers are crossed your sailing does not get canceled.

Thanks! We were booked on Oasis for Thanksgiving 2020 in a 2 bedroom Aqua Theater suite (dream cruise!!!) which of course didn't happen. Our anniversary is 8/3, but we pushed back to 8/14 to give more time and because we wanted an itinerary we had done before so we could enjoy the ship in port. We're based in Houston, so have sailed Liberty many times and were ready to move up to the next level!!

I'm probably going to double book for that week and then use Cruise with Confidence for a FCC and cancel Adventure if Symphony gets the green light. I'd rather have 2 booked than hold out and get a last minute cancellation without another option. I know we'll use the FCC and would prefer the 125% since I'm having to book that Aqua Theater suite in the future (son graduates in 2024, so will book as soon as it goes on sale).

38 minutes ago, jensspark said:

Thanks! We were booked on Oasis for Thanksgiving 2020 in a 2 bedroom Aqua Theater suite (dream cruise!!!) which of course didn't happen. Our anniversary is 8/3, but we pushed back to 8/14 to give more time and because we wanted an itinerary we had done before so we could enjoy the ship in port. We're based in Houston, so have sailed Liberty many times and were ready to move up to the next level!!

I'm probably going to double book for that week and then use Cruise with Confidence for a FCC and cancel Adventure if Symphony gets the green light. I'd rather have 2 booked than hold out and get a last minute cancellation without another option. I know we'll use the FCC and would prefer the 125% since I'm having to book that Aqua Theater suite in the future (son graduates in 2024, so will book as soon as it goes on sale).

I'm crossing my fingers with you. We booked 8/14 on Symphony pre-covid, and have been holding our breath. The 2022 August Symphony cruises are out of our price range at this point, even with the 125% FCC, so we would only want to Lift & Shift if canceled. I just looked on the RCL website, and the 8/14 sailing is not available to book at the moment. This could just be an IT glitch, or they are already at the capacity they want, but I'm feeling defeated at the moment. Still...fingers crossed. 

7 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

I feel cheated, like they never intended for Symphony to sail in July. 

They would love for the CSO to go away so they can sail - sadly the CDC isn't backing off and they now have to to the test cruises, on CDC's schedule.  That they aren't sailing in July isn't Royals' fault.

The issue that I have with Royal is that they have not been communicating to their customers as to the situation and should heve cancelled these cruises so that people can make other summer vacation plans.

9 hours ago, Jill said:

Sorry @UNCFanatik See if you can move it to October/November. 

I’m hopeful my late October symphony will now sail. Hopefully the CDC won’t drag its feet approving revenue cruises. I guess Freedom will be our first clue how fast they approve. 

I just don't get the difference.

I understand vaccinated cruises bypassing the need for test cruise. But if you test cruise does that mean you can sail with 0% vaccinated? Given that, then I see why cruise lines would want to test cruise. 

But what are the differences for passengers on vaccinated vs non-vaccinated?

Vaccinated = No Masks

Non-Vaccinated = Masks for all

Given the option then I want a vaccinated cruise.

8 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

They would love for the CSO to go away so they can sail - sadly the CDC isn't backing off and they now have to to the test cruises, on CDC's schedule.  That they aren't sailing in July isn't Royals' fault.

The issue that I have with Royal is that they have not been communicating to their customers as to the situation and should heve cancelled these cruises so that people can make other summer vacation plans.

They have ships doing test cruises in June. Why so long for this test cruise? It sounds like a Royal problem and not a CDC problem? I am simply talking about the timing. Get that ship out for a test cruise sooner.

7 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

They have ships doing test cruises in June. Why so long for this test cruise? It sounds like a Royal problem and not a CDC problem? I am simply talking about the timing. Get that ship out for a test cruise sooner.

They have to apply to the CDC.  This is not an easy process. 

10 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

But what are the differences for passengers on vaccinated vs non-vaccinated?

Vaccinated = No Masks

Non-Vaccinated = Masks for all

Given the option then I want a vaccinated cruise.

Its more like 

Vaccinated = no mask

Non Vaccinated = Really complicated -no masks for vaccinated folks in some situations - mostly when they are separated from vaccinated folks into "vaccinated areas" - lots of other silly rules.

8 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

Its more like 

Vaccinated = no mask

Non Vaccinated = Really complicated -no masks for vaccinated folks in some situations - mostly when they are separated from vaccinated folks into "vaccinated areas" - lots of other silly rules.

Sounds even worse and confusing. Makes me wish they just said lets sail ASAP with Vaccinated. 

8 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

Sounds even worse and confusing. Makes me wish they just said lets sail ASAP with Vaccinated. 

The problem is that the CDC requires 95% vaccinated in order to achieve that.  Royals customer base is full of families with kids who are too young to be vaccinated and it would be impossible to achieve the 95%.  The CDC doesn't care that this group is the least likely to spread the virus.

10 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

I used to respect the CDC.  I don't think the CDC has been following the science for a long time.

Too much politics with the CDC these days. You know if the cruise lines were based in the US and had a powerful union they could have written their own rules with CDC like teachers unions did… lol

11 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

The problem is that the CDC requires 95% vaccinated in order to achieve that.  Royals customer base is full of families with kids who are too young to be vaccinated and it would be impossible to achieve the 95%.  The CDC doesn't care that this group is the least likely to spread the virus.

Today you can vaccinate 12 & up and they are working on getting younger. Like I said, start now and vaccines will open up for younger soon enough. They want them back in school. Get back to less restricted cruising sooner sounds like the best route. So the people with younger children will have to wait. It's not like they are going to be able to cruise with them during this summer break any how.

1 hour ago, JoeFan said:

Today you can vaccinate 12 & up and they are working on getting younger. Like I said, start now and vaccines will open up for younger soon enough. They want them back in school. Get back to less restricted cruising sooner sounds like the best route. So the people with younger children will have to wait. It's not like they are going to be able to cruise with them during this summer break any how.

I wonder how they were able to test the long term impacts on a 12 year old, much less younger than 12.  Out of 580k covid deaths there are 309 attributed to Covid in the 0-17 year age group.

Maybe they should make anyone over 50 wait.