Communicating with family on board

Hello everyone!  This will be our very first cruise with Royal Caribbean, sailing in May with Oasis of the seas.  My last five cruises were with Disney but my daughter is older now and we wanted to try something different.  If my daughter wants to go off on her own...is there any way to contact her?  Disney has an on board app that we were able to text each other with.

Thanks for the help!  

Welcome!

I personally love the added flexibility of the DCL Navigator App and the Wave phones.  RCCL does't currently have anything like that.  If you have a child in the Adventure Ocean youth program they do provide ways that they can reach you, but for one on one between passengers there is no set way.  That in mind, because of the reliability and low cost of Voom (Royal Caribbean's wireless broadband), they make it easy to communicate with the apps you may already be using on shore.  

There is a great post that was just published on staying at touch while at sea.  I've pasted the link below, but please let me know if you have any questions at all.

http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/07/27/how-stay-touch-someone-your-royal-caribbean-cruise

Royal does have the Royal IQ App that contains a intraship texting and voice calling feature for passengers that purchase the plan ($7.95 per person for the length of the cruise).  However, this is currently only available on the Quantum class and the Harmony.  Hopefully, they will expand the program now that Voom has become standard across the fleet.  I realize this doesn't help you for your Oasis sailing.  Here is a link for some more information if it interests you.

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/royaliq

The suggestions by Billy and Rick are very good options.  One more option if you prefer not to buy any kind of internet plan is text messaging.  Even while roaming, text messaging is fairly cheap. Most incoming messages are free and sending messages is somewhere between 25 cents and a dollar.

The suggestions by Billy and Rick are very good options.  One more option if you prefer not to buy any kind of internet plan is text messaging.  Even while roaming, text messaging is fairly cheap. Most incoming messages are free and sending messages is somewhere between 25 cents and a dollar.

The thing that I would probably say with regards to NOT using your own text messaging plan to contact kids...

When I was a teen, what I would have heard was "oh it's okay to text!" and start texting my friends and rack up a massive bill.. (this may or may not have happened once or twice in high school to my mom's dismay...)

An internet package might be a better option than relying on text messages. 

The thing that I would probably say with regards to NOT using your own text messaging plan to contact kids...

When I was a teen, what I would have heard was "oh it's okay to text!" and start texting my friends and rack up a massive bill.. (this may or may not have happened once or twice in high school to my mom's dismay...)

An internet package might be a better option than relying on text messages. 

I guess the secret is to place the fear of God in them before telling them about texting.

Keep in mind that there are "house phones" all over the ship, so anyone can call the cabin and leave a voicemail (e.g., I'm going to Sorrento's with friends for some pizza; I'll be back to the cabin at 9:30).

Good point, Kris.  The house phones are all over the place.

• 11 months later...
On 8/10/2016 at 1:54 AM, DocLC said:

Keep in mind that there are "house phones" all over the ship, so anyone can call the cabin and leave a voicemail (e.g., I'm going to Sorrento's with friends for some pizza; I'll be back to the cabin at 9:30).

Do you know is it possible to listen your messages from your voicemail via these "house phones"? Or do I need to go back to my cabin for that?

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

Do you know is it possible to listen your messages from your voicemail via these "house phones"? Or do I need to go back to my cabin for that?

That's a good question. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer. However, given that there's no password it on too access the messages, my guess is that they can only be accessed through the room's phone directly. 

55 minutes ago, Jason.H. said:

two way radios? like nice walkie talkies. I've seen lots of people with them but have never tried them on a ship myself. Not sure if they would work through all the steel. 

On upper and public decks they'd probably be fine and I've seen people use them well on the pool desks. You'll likely have less slick lower on the ship and if you're far apart from one another. Also, they're more intrusive since you can't silently communicate with one another. 

1 hour ago, DocLC said:

That's a good question. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer. However, given that there's no password it on too access the messages, my guess is that they can only be accessed through the room's phone directly. 

You can set up a password.  

2 hours ago, Wanderer said:

There must be a way to get into the voice mailbox away from the cabin, I just don't know what that way is.  You could try asking once on board.

8 minutes ago, BrianAlt said:

There must be a way to get into the voice mailbox away from the cabin, I just don't know what that way is.  You could try asking once on board.

If that will work it sounds wonderful.

On 8/10/2016 at 5:35 PM, Matt said:

Good point, Kris.  The house phones are all over the place.

What do you mean all over the place. I have never cruised RCL so I have no idea. I am going to Harmony of the Seas, if that will help to answer. Are those located in elevator lobbies, bars or some other designated areas?

12 minutes ago, BrianAlt said:

If you can set up a password, then you could likely call your extension, wait for the voicemail to pickup and then try pressing * or # and see if you're prompted. One will likely bypass the message, but the other will likely go to the login prompt.

1 minute ago, Wanderer said:

If that will work it sounds wonderful.

What do you mean all over the place. I have never cruised RCL so I have no idea. I am going to Harmony of the Seas, if that will help to answer. Are those located in elevator lobbies, bars or some other designated areas?

Yes, elevator lobbies, outside of the buffet, etc.

3 hours ago, Jason.H. said:

two way radios? like nice walkie talkies. I've seen lots of people with them but have never tried them on a ship myself. Not sure if they would work through all the steel. 

We tried using two way radios and they did not work more often than they worked.  Often times if you were on an upper deck where they did work, the channel you decided on using with your group is being used anyway. We did put post-it notes on each others doors to communicate though! - that was slick.

as a side note - 2 way radios were very useful off the ship when we split up to go shopping.

18 hours ago, Madelyn D said:

We tried using two way radios and they did not work more often than they worked.  Often times if you were on an upper deck where they did work, the channel you decided on using with your group is being used anyway.

Sounds about right.  Plus, walkie talkies/2 way radios are super annoying to other guests.

On 8/2/2017 at 2:25 PM, Madelyn D said:

Often times if you were on an upper deck where they did work, the channel you decided on using with your group is being used anyway.

This is another one of the many issues.  Don't be fooled by "privacy codes" and other advertsied features.  These radios, like many analog radios, use subaudible tones, but all that does is make sure that the squelch doesn't open on your other radios unless the same tone is sent.  This prevents your radio from going to silent to noise if someone else keys up.  There are a few problems here though.

1. Someone with no code set (or a radio w/o the capability) still hears everything - so it doesn't help privacy
  2. If two people are on the same channel at the same time with different codes, and you're going to hear some comgination of both of them/terrible sounds/maybe whichever radio is closer to you (not necessarily the person you know.

I mainly just point this out b/c I always worry about people thinking "yeah, but these radios are private - it says so on the box!"

Edit to add more context and info, along with tips on what radios to use if you do opt to go this route:

https://www.cruisehabit.com/using-two-way-radios-or-walkie-talkies-keep-touch-cruise-ships