Captain and Officer contracts (How long on board?)

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone who's spoken to Captains or Officers before knowns the answer to a few questions that I've been thinking about. Firstly, how long are Captains and then lower Officers on the ship for at one time, then how long is their break?

Also how easy is it for them to travel with family... can the Captain have family on whenever they want and does this apply to lower Officers?

Thanks!

33 minutes ago, MatthewG said:

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone who's spoken to Captains or Officers before knowns the answer to a few questions that I've been thinking about. Firstly, how long are Captains and then lower Officers on the ship for at one time, then how long is their break?

Also how easy is it for them to travel with family... can the Captain have family on whenever they want and does this apply to lower Officers?

Thanks!

@MatthewG Go to YouTube. Look up "The Cruise"  from itv.  Watch all the seasons.  It is a reality show about cruising, from the crew's perspective. Lots of your questions will be answered. Here is a link to Season 1, Episode 1 The Cruise - Season 1 Episode 1 - YouTube

30 minutes ago, MatthewG said:

Hello!

Thanks!

Some answers here: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/03/11/the-top-questions-people-want-know-about-crew-members-cruise-ship

23 minutes ago, MatthewG said:

can the Captain have family on whenever they want and does this apply to lower Officers?

Captain yes to a larger degree,  lower officers unknown how it works exactly.  It varies by cruise line.

I have met "lower" officers at "Meal with an Officer" who talked about having their family on board.  In some cases they have to purchase cabins for family so it's not free for every officer but I don't know how that works.  Later during a B2B meeting for consecutive cruisers I was with the family members as we went through the immigration routine between cruises.  They were staying in a passenger cabin.  Nice people.

In the case where couples are both employed by the cruise line Royal does their best to keep couples together across ship contracts.  From what these crew have told me not all cruise lines do that so they are appreciative that Royal does.

I was looking at a position related to shore excursions years ago it was 6months on one off...  That was then. Regular staff are often 9 month contracts but not sure if they get a break in there...  Senior contracts are I think 4.  Cant honestly  answer as to that being 100% accurate.. I guess the bottom line is they vary. 

MSC recently approached me for a high ranking officer position on the bridge that I really wasn't qualified for but they insisted I was...  I appreciated it but will stick with my big game fishing boat job...  So I didn't probe further. 

22 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I know that on Harmony (I would assume it's the same for other ships), and this is pre-covid times, it was approximately 10 weeks on, 10 weeks off.

We took the bridge tour on Liberty, and this sounds like what they told us. Their contract is longer than 20 weeks (don't remember how long the actual contract lasts), but they follow this pattern getting 50% time off.