90-Day check-in benefit?

New to cruising.  We just hit 90 days till our cruise (Yay!!).  In my cruise planner it says we can "start the check in process" now.  What exactly will happen checking in this early?  Any pros/cons to doing it now? Anything I need to have available (passport etc) if I do check-in online?  TIA!

1 hour ago, WesKinetic said:

On paper, you might have an earlier check-in time. But those aren't really enforced anyway, so like @SnickerTail said, no huge benefit other than it's done and you can start counting down to your cruise. 

You will need to have your passport information and head shot photos ready to upload to complete the online check in. 

What head-shot photos?  The same ones from our passports? Thanks!

18 minutes ago, Lovestotravel said:

What head-shot photos?  The same ones from our passports? Thanks!

When checking in you can upload a picture of yourself. The guidelines on the size etc will be there when you get to that section. The cruise line uses that picture to attach you to your seapass card so that there is an added layer of security. Each time your card is scanned, your picture pops up so they can verify the correct person is using the card. 
If you don’t upload pictures they will take them for you at the port when you check in at the pier. Even if you do upload pictures just expect to have them taken at the pier as well. They have done that with my past two cruises.

31 minutes ago, emsff02 said:

When checking in you can upload a picture of yourself. 

Can you actually smile in this photo or do you have to make sure you have no expression for this one as well? (Or is that just a Canadian passport thing?)

3 minutes ago, Vangrizz said:

Can you actually smile in this photo or do you have to make sure you have no expression for this one as well? (Or is that just a Canadian passport thing?)

You can smile? but it does have to be on a neutral background and some other guidelines as well. 

15 hours ago, Lovestotravel said:

Thank-you for the info!  If it is going to be used multiple times and pop up all over the place, I am going to work on getting a nice one!  Ha! 

It only pops up on the crew interface - like so they can verify someone isn't using your sea pass card to get a drink. No one else will see it.

13 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Do it on the app - scan your passport to get Expedited Arrival and you can take your pic right from the app.

WEll, first I have to remember my password so I can even log-into the app!!!  Ha!  From my computer, Google conveniently remembers for me, and I cannot put my hands on where I wrote it down!  ?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️