Some rudimentary questions

Rktct

Long time lurker, first time poster here.  Took the family on Symphony last March and had an absolute blast.  Decided to do it again and booked Oasis earlier this year.  Got a great price, have a large balcony state room.  My parents are coming and have the room next door.  We plan on having the divider taken down for a nice large veranda.  Even my sister in law and a friend are coming (they are across the hall in an inside room).

I have a few questions as we’re doing a few things differently this time.

1. We took advantage of the ultra, ridiculously cheap drink package mistake earlier this year.  The wife and I certainly don’t drink anywhere near enough for the full price package, but at $18 per day, I think we have it covered.  Here is the question:  I understand we will both be given free style cups as well for the soda machines.  As we really don’t drink soda, is it completely wrong just to give those to our kids (daughters aged 10 and 11)?   

2. We had fixed early dining last time, but were convinced to go with My Time Dining this time.  We also booked (as did everyone in our group) the 3 night dining package.  I understand that we will be given a first night (or choice) reservation, which we can change as soon as we board, as well as book the other two nights. The question is this:  We only have 1 reservation for the 2nd night (1st formal night) in the main dining room at 6:30.  Made that reservation a while ago, before the entertainment portal opened.  When I went back a few weeks ago to book other My Time Reservations, there was literally nothing available, any night, before 8pm.  My travel agent said not to worry, you should have no problem making reservations once you board.  True?  This is concerning me.  

3. On Symphony, we missed out on ice skating and laser tag as there were no times available by the time we tried to make a reservation (like 4th or 5th day on board).  How do I go about making those reservations as there is nothing in the Cruise Planner about those activities?

4. The itinerary includes Labadee, and I snagged an over the water cabana on Nellies Beach during the Black Friday sale.  How easy is it to do other activities once we get there, like zip lining, the coaster, etc.?  Probably would just do them once.  

I think thats it.  We fly to Miami next Saturday for a Sunday embarkation. This board has been truly invaluable and I thank you all for your assistance with these questions.  

In regards to dining.  I felt my travel agent dropped the ball when she booked my mother in laws Alaska cruise and failed to book regular seated dining. (we have done this for the past  5 years on every cruise we've been on) I was finally advised to go direct to the maitre'd , dining room supervisor or whatever their title was as soon as  I boarded and he would take care of it.  and he did.  The entire family -14 of us- were seated at one table for the 6:00 seating...(0r was it 5:30-whatever it was)....So perhaps see the Maitre'd-dining room supervisor or whatever their title is as soon as you get on board.

1. People do it but doesn’t mean it’s right

2. Get your specialty reservations first, then go to MDR and get that sorted. Should be fine. 

3. for skating we just showed up during the times listed on the compass. (that was on Oasis). Haven’t done laser tag. 

4. Zip line was sold out before we got there. Book now in your cruise planner. Family did ride the coaster but felt it wasn’t exactly safe feeling. 

26 minutes ago, Jill said:

4. Zip line was sold out before we got there. Book now in your cruise planner. Family did ride the coaster but felt it wasn’t exactly safe feeling. 

Why didn't you feel it was safe?  Hubby and I loved it and now have it booked for our kids this summer.

13 hours ago, Rktct said:

I understand we will both be given free style cups as well for the soda machines.  As we really don’t drink soda, is it completely wrong just to give those to our kids (daughters aged 10 and 11)?

The cups are intended to be used by the person that purchased the package.  Letting the kids use the cups would be considered sharing in Royal's eyes.  

When I went back a few weeks ago to book other My Time Reservations, there was literally nothing available, any night, before 8pm.  My travel agent said not to worry, you should have no problem making reservations once you board.  True?

If you take care of the reservations as soon as you get on board you shouldn't have a problem.  MTD times start later (6:30-6:45ish) and the earlier times tend to be popular so they hold those reservations back for people to make when they get on the ship.  Once you can connect to the ship's wifi, you can even make reservations using the app for MTD and Specialty Dining as well.  Otherwise just head to the MTD when you board and set all your dining up.

On Symphony, we missed out on ice skating and laser tag as there were no times available by the time we tried to make a reservation (like 4th or 5th day on board).  How do I go about making those reservations as there is nothing in the Cruise Planner about those activities?

They will have it listed in the paper Cruise Compass when sign ups are for these activities.  Usually you just show up slightly before the session and get on the list or in the line.  It really depends on how many people show up as the number of participants per session are limited.

How easy is it to do other activities once we get there, like zip lining, the coaster, etc.?  Probably would just do them once.  

Ziplining you need to reserve through the cruise planner.  Not only will it be cheaper, it will also guarantee you get to participate.  The coaster appeared to be taking walk-ups without any issue the day that I went, but it was cheaper to purchase it through the cruise planner.  I really enjoyed the coaster a lot.

2.  They have a reservations desk for MTD but I would make your specialty reservations first.  The specialty reservations may be able to make your MTD reservations too but if not there is a MTD desk.  Just a hint, there is typically a long line on the promenade for dining reservations but walk into the dining rooms just off the promenade and you can book your specialty reservations with little to no wait.  There is something going on with online MTD reservations as none of my cruises could I book before 6:30/7 (as soon as they opened).  I don't know if those early times are now held on the ship and that is something I plan to ask about once onboard.

3.  Laser tag and ice skating don't have reservations.  You need to show up online.  I typically find the week's hours right outside the door the first day and take a picture of it.  

4.  You can see if there are spaces available.  You are more likely to find open spots as soon as the ship docks than later in the afternoon.  However, the cruise planner is always cheaper than just showing up.

Thank you everyone!  Great advice.  I am really uncomfortable giving the kids the free style cups, so we may just have to hide them.  Also, I am so relieved to hear that the earlier My Time Reservations are held back.  I do plan on running to make both Speciality and My Time reservations as soon as I get on board.  Thanks again!