Worried about Majesty

Hi! I'm going on Majesty of the Seas on April 29, 2016. I'm worried after reading all the reviews that it's not a good cruise....everyone seems to be complaining about the food, how old the ship is, etc. It's my boyfriend's first cruise and I want to make sure it's a good one. Any insight?

Let's put this in perspective ....

IT'S A CRUISE!!!!

My first Cruise was on the sister ship Sovereign of the Seas .... same floor plan, same itinerary, different ship ..... The ship is a lot bigger than you would think, especially if it's your first cruise because you really have nothing to compare it to ....

There are a ton of things to do on board, and if there's one thing I've noticed in a lot of the comments, having a smaller ship means your not packed in with the masses.... which, in my opinion, is a good thing ...

Relax, he will have a GREAT time, Royal Caribbean will not let you down, even though the focus is on Quantum and Oasis Class ships, they never took their eye off of the other classes.....

Just walk on board, grab a Pina Collada and relax...

Oh, and later this year, I'm taking my wife on her first cruise, Grandeur of the Seas (Vision Class), a little bigger than Majesty, but not much so I have as much at stake as you on this one, but knowing Royal Caribbean, I'm not worried (I just wish I could control the weather) -- I'm going to let her set the pace and let the fun sink in without me forcing it .....

Walk on board, grab a drink, get a bite to eat at the Windjammer, and just let the fun happen, he (and you) will be just fine ---

I think the key with any cruise ship is to research it ahead of time and understand what it offers (and does not offer) so that your expectations are in line.

I think the biggest mistake new cruisers make is not look at the major differences between various Royal Caribbean ships. There are 24 ships in the fleet, and they each offer something different.  By learning about the features of each ship, I firmly believe it helps avoid issues later on.

Thanks everyone! I did research beforehand and it seemed to be what I wanted-quick weekend away with food, drinks, and beaches. We just want to relax sans phones for a few days.

Given that perspective, I think you will be fine.  

Would love to hear your report when you get back. Enjoy!

I wouldn't worry about it. If I had to guess I'd say most of the complaints are from people who are used to the newer, larger ships and the sheer amount of amenities offered. Not that they are better, but the larger ships naturally have more "stuff". The older ships are fine. I've sailed on Grandeur, Enchantment, and Explorer multiple times as well as Adventure and they all offer something unique based on ship size, home port, and the ships age. I believe only the smaller ships offer the shorter cruises you're looking for anyway. You'll both have a great time.

• 1 month later...

Is it the best cruise ship in the line? Absolutely it is not, but as others have pointed out it is your first cruise, it is a better ship than what many other lines offer, and it is really a big ship compared to most cruise ships even a few years ago. You are on a short cruise and will find lots to do, so I believe you will like it. Also it is much more a true ship than the current super liners, it has open decks and areas to walk around, and classic ship lines.  And again as others have said..... It's a Cruise... relax and enjoy.....

Hi! I'm going on Majesty of the Seas on April 29, 2016. I'm worried after reading all the reviews that it's not a good cruise....everyone seems to be complaining about the food, how old the ship is, etc. It's my boyfriend's first cruise and I want to make sure it's a good one. Any insight?

Every time I've worried about a cruise because of mixed reviews and such, I've never been disappointed.  If you go in with realistic expectations (e.g., don't expect a Flow Rider), you'll be fine.

Is it the best cruise ship in the line? Absolutely it is not, . . . 

Todd,

I'll bet there's at least one person out there who thinks it is the best cruise ship in the world.  What appeals to people about cruises is so varied that it amazes me how one person can be turned off by one ship, while others think it's the best ship ever.

Todd,

I'll bet there's at least one person out there who thinks it is the best cruise ship in the world.  What appeals to people about cruises is so varied that it amazes me how one person can be turned off by one ship, while others think it's the best ship ever.

You will always find a few people that believe something. You can find people that believe anything and everything. When I sad it is not the best cruise ship in the line, I was talking based that upon independent travel industry information, not what a few passengers believe or say. No real evaluation of the cruise ships within Royal could ever say it is the best ship. 

You will always find a few people that believe something. You can find people that believe anything and everything. When I sad it is not the best cruise ship in the line, I was talking based that upon independent travel industry information, not what a few passengers believe or say. No real evaluation of the cruise ships within Royal could ever say it is the best ship. 

I completely agree.  Quantitatively, she is far from the best ship.  Qualitatively, though, people can make her fabulous in their minds.  I think this is particularly true with the Oasis class.  While many would argue they are the "best," I have also heard many state how they would not sail on the class again, preferring the much more manageable sizes of the Freedom and Voyager classes.

I for one am more interested in itinerary, so I could care less either way.