Booking Flow Rider, North Star etc

Geoff P

So I just noticed the activities are available to book for our cruise and I was able to make reservations for North Star and Rip Cord.  I was also able to reserve flow rider but only at a cost.  I thought it was included like the others or is it only available at an additional cost?  Also, the North Star was only open to book on sea days, any idea if they open up days while in port?  Was thinking it would be cool to do in Nassau.

Just now, Geoff P said:

So I just noticed the activities are available to book for our cruise and I was able to make reservations for North Star and Rip Cord.  I was also able to reserve flow rider but only at a cost.  I thought it was included like the others or is it only available at an additional cost?  Also, the North Star was only open to book on sea days, any idea if they open up days while in port?  Was thinking it would be cool to do in Nassau.

FlowRider is complimentary unless you want the hour (or several hours) of instruction. There are many open hours that are complimentary.

4 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

FlowRider is complimentary unless you want the hour (or several hours) of instruction. There are many open hours that are complimentary.

Ok thanks, I wonder if all the options just maybe aren’t loaded into cruise planner yet.  So far for FlowRider they only have the ultimate experience and a couple lessons available to book.

3 minutes ago, Geoff P said:

Ok thanks, I wonder if all the options just maybe aren’t loaded into cruise planner yet.  So far for FlowRider they only have the ultimate experience and a couple lessons available to book.

Unless you want lessons, you can't book time ahead on the FlowRider.  You just show up.

5 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

Usually North Star will not be available on port days because if it gets stuck in the air than they can not leave the port until it is fixed.  At least that was what I was told when we were on the Anthem.

I don't believe that is the case.

I have used the North Star on Anthem several times in different ports.  

When Anthem visited Miami for the first time they put North Star in its highest position, empty, so it would be up for any pictures people took from the shore or from helicopters.  

On sister ship Ovation they offered North Star rides in Vancouver before our departure.  We had to pass under the Lions Gate bridge to reach the ocean which was a tight fit.  If North Star was up we couldn't leave yet they offered rides before our departure.

Anthem was beside us in San Juan two days ago.  North Star was operating while in port.

Often the view from North Star is best while in port so you have something other than ocean to look at.

All I know is the 2 times we were on her, that at Bayonne they said they would not operate it until the next day.  They had said that it was because they had to clear the bridge for departure.  When we went North to NE.  My brother tried to do on a port day (can't recall Halifax or Portland) and again they said nope because of departure.  Now maybe he misunderstood and asked for a time that was close to departure.

When we did the Bermuda trip I do not recall it ever going up at all (That was an overnighter)  Than again since I had done it already on another cruise I had no desire to do it again.

The one thing I wish Anthem did with their NorthStar is to swing over the side of the ship, or at least it didn't  when we sailed on her.  

18 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

All I know is the 2 times we were on her, that at Bayonne they said they would not operate it until the next day.  They had said that it was because they had to clear the bridge for departure.  When we went North to NE.  My brother tried to do on a port day (can't recall Halifax or Portland) and again they said nope because of departure.  Now maybe he misunderstood and asked for a time that was close to departure.

When we did the Bermuda trip I do not recall it ever going up at all (That was an overnighter)  Than again since I had done it already on another cruise I had no desire to do it again.

The one thing I wish Anthem did with their NorthStar is to swing over the side of the ship, or at least it didn't  when we sailed on her.  

Did they allow you to book it was n cruise planner when in port?  An thinking our Nassau day would be a good time but don't want to book it and then say no when we are there.

No they did not allow us to book it on the cruise planner, but our thought process was that it had already booked out the times (1st time on Anthem) we wanted.  We tried booking it 60 days out.  We went to the excursions desk as soon as we arrived on the ship, and that is when they said it does not go up on embarkation day.  We booked for the afternoon at sea the next day.  No problem.  My brother wanted to do it a 2nd time and tried to book it for one of the port days, can't recall which port.  They said no it did not operate in port.  Now again, maybe again it was a bridge issue and he wanted a time close to departure.  

I am sure I am the rarity when it comes to NorthStar.  1x and done just like the IFly,  Bionic Bar and Wonderland.  Mostly because it does not swing out, so to me it is the same old same old....go up look at the pool deck, the ocean to the left and right, go back down again.

It's true that they will not operate North Star when in port in Bayonne.  I couldn't even get them to take me up when we were Star Class.  So that is definite.

As far as other ports, I never had them restrict NS operation in any other port.  We went up several times when we were at Coco Cay and also in Port Canaveral.  I can't remember if we went up when we were in Nassau so I can't be sure about that one.  I really think it is only in Bayonnne

We are booked on North Star on Anthem in a couple of weeks.   Could only get 2 people booked (on a sea day) out of our party of 4.   Hope to find more availability. 

If I recall correctly (sometimes that's a 50/50 guess), someone on this forum recently posted pics using NS at Bayonne on Anthem.    I'll see if I can find the post.  It definitely has been used in other ports.  If there's no availability, you could try the stand-by line.  

For the OP question about the flowrider, I have never seen a cost for it unless you are booking private lessons or a group.