Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Recommended Posts

First I knew going in how expensive this sailing would be and I booked late, so the cost was substantial. I booked the last owners suite but wanted the crown loft that was unavailable. The crown loft showed up after I was paid in full for almost $3,000.00 cheaper (could I have been mistaken?) so I was told if I wanted to change I would lose the price difference, ah no thank you! So yesterday I receive my Royal Up offers and loan behold there is the crown loft I was hoping , for a minimum bid of $300.00 pp I was so confused, I thought it was a great deal less for this particular sailing. I placed a very minimal bid for the 2 bedroom aqua suite just in case but honestly I am very unsettled about this whole crown loft situation, ( I made no bid on it ) can anyone make this clearer to me then mud? Thank you in advance for your insight, you guys are fantastic! Sailing November 24, 2019 out of PC

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did the crown loft appear at around 90 days out when maybe those folks were expected to pay in full and decided to back out?  You seem like you may be a regular cruiser so I'm guessing you paid in full because you had to (at or after 90 days out from sailing).

Of course Royal is going to do whatever they can to make money....and in putting it out there for RoyalUp is a great way to do that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can upgrade after final payment, but there will be no refund of the price difference if the price is less than what you had paid.  This is standard. 

If you really want the Crown Loft, then just take the no cost upgrade and don't worry about the fact that it currently costs less than what you paid.  I would just go ahead and do that and let your 2BR ATS bid stand because that is likely very worth it if you win that RoyalUp bid (Star Class amenities).  Then at least you will end up with the room you truly wanted at the minimum.

RoyalUp is a program that doesn't directly correlate with the current inventory.  For example I saw a Grand Suite bid option and when I looked on Royal's site and a third-party site, this particular sailing had no Grand Suites available.  Why would it be offered on RoyalUp then?  Because RoyalUp is a multi-level bidding system.  If someone in a Grand Suite RoyalUps to a higher suite, then there will be a Grand Suite available.  The price for the RoyalUp bids has nothing to do with how the rooms are priced on Royal's site.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Neesa said:

First I knew going in how expensive this sailing would be and I booked late, so the cost was substantial. I booked the last owners suite but wanted the crown loft that was unavailable. The crown loft showed up after I was paid in full for almost $3,000.00 cheaper (could I have been mistaken?) so I was told if I wanted to change I would lose the price difference, ah no thank you! So yesterday I receive my Royal Up offers and loan behold there is the crown loft I was hoping , for a minimum bid of $300.00 pp I was so confused, I thought it was a great deal less for this particular sailing. I placed a very minimal bid for the 2 bedroom aqua suite just in case but honestly I am very unsettled about this whole crown loft situation, ( I made no bid on it ) can anyone make this clearer to me then mud? Thank you in advance for your insight, you guys are fantastic! Sailing November 24, 2019 out of PC

I have noticed on several of my sailings that the OS is more expensive than the CLS.  Many people want that location up on 17 but IMO the OS locations (other than not being close to the CK) are more desirable than the CLS.  I would rather have 1 level than deal with the stairs but having 2 bathrooms is a plus.

One thing that I have noticed in the non-connecting OS on the Oasis Class ships....there is a large structural pole right near the front door which I don’t like.  I have been contemplating switching my OS to a CLS on the “everyone-is-in-Star-Class-but-me” March 14, 2021 cruise for that reason.  The CLS are cheaper than the OS on that cruise (NOT $3K cheaper....if they were I would have already moved !) on that cruise but I really would rather have the OS. I just don’t care for that flippin’ pole.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@CruisinUpinLife Yes that is when it appeared at 90 days. I am a frequent cruiser but this is first time on RCCL. This booking was done with a group of others (their initial idea) so I really don't feel great about the TA they used, I spoke to her she is kind but she continues to confuse me, I don't believe RCCL is her specialty.  For my next RCCL sailing I have utilized MEI & Sharla and know that one will be better/clearer as Sharla is a wealth of information. I am not bothering her (Sharla) with this booking because I don't believe it would be fair to either of the TA's. @AshleyDillo if I moved to the Crown Loft I would lose close to $3,000.00 so I can't conceive that to be an upgrade, that's a lot of money to just hand over to RCCL, I want the cabin but not that much. I would be crazy over the moon if by some dumb luck we were able to snag the 2 bedroom Aqua but I bid pretty low, just enough to see my husband's bald head start sweating lol! I do understand a bit more now though thanks to everyone here for taking the time for your input. @WAAAYTOOO not a fan of the stairs either but the 2 bathrooms with a teenage daughter, well that I would enjoy. Have a fantastic day all!:1_grinning:

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Neesa said:

@CruisinUpinLife Yes that is when it appeared at 90 days. I am a frequent cruiser but this is first time on RCCL. This booking was done with a group of others (their initial idea) so I really don't feel great about the TA they used, I spoke to her she is kind but she continues to confuse me, I don't believe RCCL is her specialty.  For my next RCCL sailing I have utilized MEI & Sharla and know that one will be better/clearer as Sharla is a wealth of information. I am not bothering her (Sharla) with this booking because I don't believe it would be fair to either of the TA's. @AshleyDillo if I moved to the Crown Loft I would lose close to $3,000.00 so I can't conceive that to be an upgrade, that's a lot of money to just hand over to RCCL, I want the cabin but not that much. I would be crazy over the moon if by some dumb luck we were able to snag the 2 bedroom Aqua but I bid pretty low, just enough to see my husband's bald head start sweating lol! I do understand a bit more now though thanks to everyone here for taking the time for your input. @WAAAYTOOO not a fan of the stairs either but the 2 bathrooms with a teenage daughter, well that I would enjoy. Have a fantastic day all!:1_grinning:

I'm not familiar with other cruise lines who may have this same set up but with RCCL the closer you get to the 90 day mark the more likely someone is bailing on their cruise/room since that is when the full payment is due.  Sharla would likely be aware of this so hopefully your future RCCL cruises bring you better luck and service with booking.

No matter the cruise, enjoy your time!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on number of people booked I might be crazy with this thought... cancel 

Right now I think the deposit lost for two would be $500, ends up $2500 savings. Just consult with Royal or your TA for what the penalty might be. Also keep in account any Cruise Planner purchases that might be more now.

 

Yeah it is crazy thought, but might be something to look at.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@CGTLH I have paid in full, would I not lose the entire amount? I actually understand this premise but sadly I don't trust this TA either. ( The TA my friends picked before I found MEI) There are 3 of us, two adults and a 13 year old. But you are correct, if I was only to lose the deposit I believe it was 250. each, hummm:91_thumbsup:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Neesa said:

@CGTLH I have paid in full, would I not lose the entire amount? I actually understand this premise but sadly I don't trust this TA either. ( The TA my friends picked before I found MEI) There are 3 of us, two adults and a 13 year old. But you are correct, if I was only to lose the deposit I believe it was 250. each, hummm:91_thumbsup:

Think 57 days prior to sailing is the last date for deposit only. Think day 58 starts 50% total fare loss.

With 3 I do think the deposit loss would be $750. If in fact it is documented that it would be deposit loss only it might also be an opportunity to switch over to MEI.

Do agree trust in the TA will be a huge factor is something this financial risky. If you do plan on following thru it might be wise if you could get a three-way call going with TA and Royal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

make sure you read what your getting. Im cruising on Anthem Of The Seas soon, and i did royal up and ended up spending $387 for just a larger balcony and it was all my fault for not reading the descriptions of the rooms and being stuck on the thought of getting a suit for less. instead of just bidding on the suits I put a bid on all 3 rooms. 

 

My original room was a category 5D(Ocean View Stateroom W/ Balcony) and the upgrade was too a 1C(Ocean View W/ Large Balcony) which for me wasn't worth $387. Called RCCL but they said once you in your in no refunds or on board credits. I guess you live and you learn. can anyone here make me feel better cause i feel like i just threw $387 away. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 10.29.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 10.30.44 AM.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh, that's are hard lesson. I utilized everyone here especially @WAAAYTOOO and @Love2cruise2002 and refined my bidding knowing exactly what I would be "winning" (If I won!) You are correct sometimes "winning" isn't all it's cut out to be. Huge lesson learned but FEEL BETTER, you are going on a cruise! Enjoy your breakfast out there, a glass of wine in the evenings before dinner, (bring it in your carry on) as stipulated by the RC rules and make the very best of it. The money is spent, can't change it don't let it take away from what will be your best vacation yet. Enjoy your sailing :) ** I just looked you are mid-ship starboard now instead of being port aft. I think your updated location now is much better too!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...