Suggestions on Pictures / Video Recordings

VillainsGin

Just wanted to start off by saying I do not follow the latest and greatest electronics when it comes to phones & cameras. My philosophy is "if it isn't broken don't fix it".

BUT im sporting around an iphone 6s and was looking to upgrade to a newer iphone or perhaps buy a new camera to take great pictures and video recordings.

Someone suggested instead of buying an expensive camera since I have no experience/knowledge to use all the neat features/function to just upgrade my iphone. (more user friendly and does the job just fine)

Anyone know of a solid & reliable iphone what would take great pictures and record crystal clear? Preferably waterproof if that exist, if not at least water resistant?

Flexible with my budget and it shouldn't matter what the price is, I figured i'll be keeping it for a while so I don't mind splurging a bit more.

I would like to get a new device so when I'm on my very first cruise in Jan, 2020 I could document my amazing experience and show family and friends!

5 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

If you are familiar with the use of an iPhone I highly recommend you to upgrade to the new iPhone 11 (not the PRO version). It has 2 great cameras and it's easy to use!

I've seen that all over the news is that the new one? 

Has it been released yet I keep seeing prepurchase/preorder but nowhere that I can check it out or buy.

Is the price worth it or is the Iphone X just as great?

37 minutes ago, TJ! said:

I've seen that all over the news is that the new one? 

Has it been released yet I keep seeing prepurchase/preorder but nowhere that I can check it out or buy.

Is the price worth it or is the Iphone X just as great?

iPhone 11, along with the 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max, were announced this past Tuesday. Not available in stores yet but will be by end of the month.

They actually dropped the price of the 11 relative to last year's iPhone Xr by $50, it's now $699. If you don't absolutely need the very latest model, you can still get a Xr for $599.

No matter what you get, if you're currently on a 6s (and nothing wrong with that; I'm still rocking my 6s Plus) then upgrading to the Xr or 11 will be huge. The camera upgrades alone are going to be night and day, both still photos and video.

6 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

iPhone 11, along with the 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max, were announced this past Tuesday. Not available in stores yet but will be by end of the month.

They actually dropped the price of the 11 relative to last year's iPhone Xr by $50, it's now $699. If you don't absolutely need the very latest model, you can still get a Xr for $599.

No matter what you get, if you're currently on a 6s (and nothing wrong with that; I'm still rocking my 6s Plus) then upgrading to the Xr or 11 will be huge. The camera upgrades alone are going to be night and day, both still photos and video.

This is perfect thank you!

Doing a bit of comparison and research before I decide on which Iphone series to get!

As long as all the new features and a significant enhancement of picture and video quality are include in the new one I should be peachy!~

I just went from a 6s+ to the Xr+ & really like it. I find the camera to be MUCH better. I'm still trying to figure out all the bells & whistles. They told me it is waterproof up to 3 ft for 30 min. Not sure I will test that theory.? I do have to say I'm really liking it so far.

1 minute ago, RazorbackIslandGirl said:

I just went from a 6s+ to the Xr+ & really like it. I find the camera to be MUCH better. I'm still trying to figure out all the bells & whistles. They told me it is waterproof up to 3 ft for 30 min. Not sure I will test that theory.? I do have to say I'm really liking it so far.

I'm going to be honest I have no idea what the difference is for all the xr, xs, xs max, pro, etc etc.

But how much was the Xr you bought and was it outdated compared to the new one releasing?

I think I paid $799. I bought a few other things so Im not exactly sure. They also gave me $165 for my old one! The Xr+  is just the bigger version of the Xr. For me it's all I need at the time. Really all I wanted was the camera update. I am like you & never use my big camera anymore. For travel a phone is so much more convenient! I'm not sure I'll ever go back to my big camera.

5 minutes ago, RazorbackIslandGirl said:

I think I paid $799. I bought a few other things so Im not exactly sure. They also gave me $165 for my old one! The Xr+  is just the bigger version of the Xr. For me it's all I need at the time. Really all I wanted was the camera update. I am like you & never use my big camera anymore. For travel a phone is so much more convenient! I'm not sure I'll ever go back to my big camera.

You were extremely helpful that is exactly what I was looking for.

Just wanted something with an updated camera to take decent pictures and recordings on my cruise.

I'll shop around and see what catches by eye then!

I'm always weary of buying newly release iphone because i've noticed a pattern of them doing major updates or rollbacks because customers all over the world are basically testers and find flaws.

I always like to wait out the new electronics to make sure it is properly updated and released with no hassle.

11 minutes ago, TJ! said:

I'm going to be honest I have no idea what the difference is for all the xr, xs, xs max, pro, etc etc.

But how much was the Xr you bought and was it outdated compared to the new one releasing?

Unless you plan to be a mobile filmmaker or just want the absolute highest spec phone you can get so it lasts another 4 years, the new 11 Pro and Pro Max models will be overkill. The only major differences between the “base” 11 and the Pro models is that the base has 2 cameras (28mm f1.8 wide and 14mm f2.2 ultra-wide) instead of 3 (28mm f1.8 wide, 14mm f2.2 ultra-wide, and 56mm f2.0 tele), and an LCD screen instead of high-end OLED. There are some other differences, like case color options, but they’re small. All have the same A13 processor, vs last year’s A12.

As far as Xr vs “base” 11, consensus is that those who already own a Xr should feel no compulsion to upgrade and that the 11 is an incremental update. The Xr only has one camera (the standard 28mm f1.8 wide-angle lens) and last year’s  A12 processor.

10 minutes ago, RazorbackIslandGirl said:

I agree! First generation phones always have issues. I let them work out all the bugs & get the 2nd model. Good luck with your shopping! Hope you find exactly what you need!

Don’t consider the 11 to be first-gen. It’s the third iteration of the iPhone X design, so kinks and hardware bugs are long-since worked out. Only new piece is the camera module, and they have a solid rep on that front.

EDIT -- Will note that the upcoming iOS 13 has been getting kind of blasted by developers in various podcasts and blogs I follow. Separate from the hardware, granted, but also kind of important when it's what drives the hardware. But that OS update is going to be a potential headache for all iPhone users and not just the iPhone 11 / 11 Pro; at least for the 13.0 and maybe even 13.1 release set to follow in just a few weeks.

Since @TJ! noted his cruise isn't until January, I'd either advise a Xr that's on iOS 12, and just not update to 13 until after the trip; or at least wait until November or December to get an 11 so that the major kinks in the new OS can be worked out.

14 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Unless you plan to be a mobile filmmaker or just want the absolute highest spec phone you can get so it lasts another 4 years, the new 11 Pro and Pro Max models will be overkill. The only major differences between the “base” 11 and the Pro models is that the base has 2 cameras (28mm f1.8 wide and 14mm f2.2 ultra-wide) instead of 3 (28mm f1.8 wide, 14mm f2.2 ultra-wide, and 56mm f2.0 tele), and an LCD screen instead of high-end OLED. There are some other differences, like case color options, but they’re small. All have the same A13 processor, vs last year’s A12.

As far as Xr vs “base” 11, consensus is that those who already own a Xr should feel no compulsion to upgrade and that the 11 is an incremental update. The Xr only has one camera (the standard 28mm f1.8 wide-angle lens) and last year’s  A12 processor.

OOO ok so it looks like maybe I'll just stick with the base iphone 11 model rather than getting the pro or pro max.

This information is definitely helpful in my quest to decide on the phone. Since all the kinks is already worked out I'm leaning towards the iphone 11 over the Xr.

Do you know what the starting price is for the iphone 11 base compared to iphone xr base?

Just now, JLMoran said:

Xr base price is $599 for 64 GB model, vs. $699 for the 64 GB 11. Upgrades in storage to 128 GB or 256GB will bump the price by $100 or so per tier.

Ideally do you know what would be perfect regarding storage if I use my phone for day to day routine and on top for work.

E.I scanning documents and emailing.

With thousands of pictures and small video snippets of miscellaneous on my current iphone 6s

And I have a lot of apps haha.

Just now, TJ! said:

Ideally do you know what would be perfect regarding storage if I use my phone for day to day routine and on top for work.

With thousands of pictures and small video snippets of miscellaneous on my current iphone 6s

Depends on whether you currently have your iphone storing photos at full resolution or optimized. I have 7,178 photos and 416 videos on my 128 GB 6s Plus, but I pay $10 a month for the 1 TB iCloud storage option; that lets me have the phone use optimized storage, shrinking everything down to a thumbnail if I haven't accessed it for a while. I just checked my storage usage (Settings -> General -> iPhone Storage), and only 52.7 GB of 128 are currently used; more than 3/4 of that is for the apps I have installed, including a bunch of multi-GB game apps,  and 9.5 GB is for my downloaded music (about 1,000 songs).

So 128 GB could be totally fine for you; or if you take a lot more photos and 4k video, or don't pay for iCloud storage and have to keep everything at full res on your phone, then 256 GB may be the better route.

13 minutes ago, TJ! said:

In your settings>Greneral>about... you can see what the current capacity of your phone is and decide from there what you need. If you are nerely at capacity, I would go with the next memory size up. If you are not near capacity, go with the same size you have now. I currently have a 256gb phone and its about 1/2 used up with pictures apps etc. I used to have the minimum size, but always came close to filling it up, so now I always go with 256gb at a minimum.

Agree with those that have recommended the iPhone X ( I prefer the X over the XR because of the dual cameras and stage lighting in portrait mode) or maybe the 11. Additionally you may want to get the DJI Osmo mobile 3 gimbal ($119.00) for you phone if you want to shoot lot a stable videos.