Anthem and MTD

Hoski

Just switched our October cruise from Grandeur to Anthem and am confused by how they assign MTD.  I see there are 4 dining rooms.  One review said to make sure you tried them all but how would this work?  For MTD we picked our time on the cruise planner but it did not allow us to pick a dining room.  How is that assigned?

There is no way to try them all.  You will be assigned one of the 4 venues as your MTD restaurant and you will have to go to that one every time unless you choose to eat at another restaurant such as the Windjammer or one of the specialty restaurants.  You cannot choose a different main dining room option than the one to which you are assigned.  Typically, 2 of the 4 are assigned to classic dining and 2 are assigned to MTD.

10 hours ago, Hoski said:

For MTD we picked our time on the cruise planner but it did not allow us to pick a dining room.  How is that assigned?

You do not pick a dining room, it's all the same menu and RC will let you know where to go.

With My Time Dining, you either make a reservation to book a time, or you can show up and wait for a table. Similar to going out for dinner at home. You can call ahead for a table or show up and wait for one.

Here's a good overview of how My Time Dining works: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/06/04/what-you-need-know-about-royal-caribbeans-my-time-dining

@Hoski, the review you read is most likely an old one from back when Anthem, Quantum, and one or two of the Oasis ships did Dynamic Dining with a rotation through the four rooms. That was done away with a few years ago now, and as @WAAAYTOOO and @Matt noted, there is now an assignment to a single dining room for the duration of your cruise.

Since you're doing MTD, you will assigned to either Silk or Americon Icon Grill. Chic and The Grande are the restaurants used for traditional dining. And as already noted, all four serve the same menu / have the same schedule for the menus.

For consideration -- Dining on Anthem seems to get pretty mixed reviews on places like Cruiseline, but it seems most of the complaints I've read are from folks who did MTD. It seems like that is perpetually crowded and the good reviews come mainly from folks who've done traditional dining, or MTD at a less crowded / later time slot.

13 hours ago, Matt said:

You do not pick a dining room, it's all the same menu and RC will let you know where to go.

With My Time Dining, you either make a reservation to book a time, or you can show up and wait for a table. Similar to going out for dinner at home. You can call ahead for a table or show up and wait for one.

Here's a good overview of how My Time Dining works: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/06/04/what-you-need-know-about-royal-caribbeans-my-time-dining

I understand MTD as I've cruise Royal recently, I was just confused about how the dining room was assigned.  Thanks for your help.

And thank you to everyone who replied. 

Here is what happened to us on Anthem. On day one MTD we were seated at a nice ocean view table for 2. Towards the end of our meal the head waiter came over and told us that if we wanted we could sit at that same table every day,  walking right in and sitting down without waiting in the line. There was a specified time to be AIS and if we decided to dine elsewhere and didn't show they would give our table to someone else that evening. We found this superior to the DCL rotational dining system we were familiar with. The food was better too. Sorry, Mickey.