Ideas for Key West

Guest NormRieger

Guest NormRieger

So my wife and I and 3 teenagers are taking the 4 night on the Majesty.

Looking for something to do in Key West that is not a ship sponsored excursion.

We are generally beach people. Tours and butterfly sanctuaries are not gonna fly with this group.

Any ideas?

Not really a beach area.

Not sure what your teens are into.

There is lots to do and see on foot....bars, restaurants, shopping, some historical stuff....sightseeing tours.

I was there in Nov, spent about 4 hours touring around and could have spent another day easily.

I can't wait to get back there for another visit........

Smathers may be the best option if you're looking for a beach, just know that the Keys only have small man-made beaches.  With kids, the transportation options are either cabs, rental cars, or 'hop on - hop off' options such as Conch Train or Old Town Trolley.  Old Town is about $26 if purchased on-board (about $5 cheaper than going at it on your own actually).  That will get you all around Key West, trolleys run regularly, and they provide information as you go along between stops.  The downside of this option is likely the cost compared to a cab (since there are 5 of you), but the upside is that you'll get a full tour of the island with the opportunity to check out any other areas you'd like.  If even for only a few minutes, you'll want to check out the Southernmost Point, Mallory Square (you'll either doc right next to the square or at the Naval pier where you'll be shuttled to the square).

• 4 weeks later...

If the teens are of age then rent some scooters (if not rent golf carts) for the day. This is the best way to see KW. Don't miss out on the Cuban Coffee Queen for some great coffee and breakfast sandwiches. Conch Fritters at Hogs Breath a solid choice. Drive the scooters to the casa marina resort and relax on the beach there.