Mytime vs Traditional Dining time

Wubar

Hey all,

I have a really stupid question, especially since I've researched this board and other websites looking for the answer.  I know the difference between the two, traditional is a set time and mytime is really just open seating.  But do you have to "reserve" mytime in advance? My dad and I just booked 3 rooms between us, two rooms for him and 1 for me.  There was only the 8pm traditional dining option when we made our reservations, so that is what we both picked before confirming our rooms.  Are we stuck with traditional 8pm time slot? If we wanted to use mytime, do we just do it the day of, or can we set our times in advance? This is my first cruise on RC, and I was able to open up the cruise planner on the website using my reservation number, but I didn't see any options or ways to utilize mytime once it found my information.

Once again, sorry for what is probably an obvious question and answer. I'm usually pretty good about over-researching anything and everything about an upcoming vacation, but I can't find this answer!

Thanks in advance to all you experts out there!

11 minutes ago, Wubar said:

Hey all,

I have a really stupid question, especially since I've researched this board and other websites looking for the answer.  I know the difference between the two, traditional is a set time and mytime is really just open seating.  But do you have to "reserve" mytime in advance? My dad and I just booked 3 rooms between us, two rooms for him and 1 for me.  There was only the 8pm traditional dining option when we made our reservations, so that is what we both picked before confirming our rooms.  Are we stuck with traditional 8pm time slot? If we wanted to use mytime, do we just do it the day of, or can we set our times in advance? This is my first cruise on RC, and I was able to open up the cruise planner on the website using my reservation number, but I didn't see any options or ways to utilize mytime once it found my information.

Once again, sorry for what is probably an obvious question and answer. I'm usually pretty good about over-researching anything and everything about an upcoming vacation, but I can't find this answer!

Thanks in advance to all you experts out there!

You CAN reserve MyTIme dining if you wish, or you can just show up whenever you like, although  you may have a wait (probably not a long wait, except maybe during a very popular time, especially on formal nights). If you're already signed up with Traditional dining, call either Royal (if you booked through them) or your travel agent, and they should be able to change it.

Thanks! So mytime isn't really anything that can get filled or booked up in advance? There really wasn't any other option other than the traditional option when I booked, I didn't see anything referencing mytime dining on that reservation page...

3 minutes ago, Wubar said:

Thanks! So mytime isn't really anything that can get filled or booked up in advance? There really wasn't any other option other than the traditional option when I booked, I didn't see anything referencing mytime dining on that reservation page...

I suppose it's possible that it could be filled up.  If you call (or Facebook message them - they answer those quickly!) and it is filled up ask to be put on a wait list.

Have a fabulous cruise and don't think your question was stupid (or obvious) - no such thing and there are always people happy to help on this forum!

Hi @Wubar! Good info given already, just wanted to add a couple more details specific to your current situation.

Sounds like you and your dad were OK with the 8 PM traditional dining slot and were looking to use MyTime Dining on just one or two nights. I don't think that specific case is allowed, since your Sea Pass card will have your assigning dining room printed on it and they do plan on a certain number of passengers to be sitting in the MyTime section of the main dining room vs. those assigned to traditional dining.

You can get more or less the same setup by switching over to MyTime Dining, then making reservations in the cruise planner for 8 PM every night except the one or two where you expect some conflicts. By reserving in advance, you should end up seated in the same section each night and given the same wait staff, which will give you the bulk of the traditional dining experience. And if you find on night 1 that your wait staff isn't to your liking for some reason (e.g., very slow service), you can request to be moved to another table for the other nights.

If you don't have a reservation for MyTime Dining, then it's just like showing up at a restaurant on land -- You'll be given a wait time, they'll take your name and party size, and you'll have to wait until a table opens up. Several of the folks here do that and have reported the wait is rarely longer than 10 or 15 minutes, although it can be longer at peak times like 6:00-6:30.

If you have traditional dining, then you are in traditional dining for the entire cruise and can't go to My Time for a few nights.  However, you could go eat in WJ.  

If you want the flexibility of dining when you desire, then you should try for My Time.  It sounds like you will need to ask to be on the wait list to be moved.  

I find service much better and similar to traditional dining by having reservations about the same time so you can get the same wait staff.  You don't need reservations for My Time, however similar to a popular land restaurant if you show up at prime times you may have to wait for a table to open.  

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Hi @Wubar! Good info given already, just wanted to add a couple more details specific to your current situation.

Sounds like you and your dad were OK with the 8 PM traditional dining slot and were looking to use MyTime Dining on just one or two nights. I don't think that specific case is allowed, since your Sea Pass card will have your assigning dining room printed on it and they do plan on a certain number of passengers to be sitting in the MyTime section of the main dining room vs. those assigned to traditional dining.

You can get more or less the same setup by switching over to MyTime Dining, then making reservations in the cruise planner for 8 PM every night except the one or two where you expect some conflicts. longer at peak times like 6:00-6:30.

JLMoran,

Thanks for the advice.  I guess my original question was how does one "switch" over to My time dining. As you had referenced above? It's not like my dad and I were ok with 8pm traditional dining, it's that there was no other option available when we booked our rooms. I didn't see any references to mytime dining on the dining preference page during the booking process, and when I clicked on the drop down box that listed the 8pm traditional dining option, the early time slot wasn't there (so I assume it wasnt available).

If I am understanding other responses correctly, it looks like both the early traditional and mytime options were full, and if we want to switch to full-time mytime dining, we would have to call and get put on the waitlist? It isnt the end of the world if we can't switch, but there are 2 children in our party, so 8pm is pretty late for them to be eating dinner...

I used my time dining on NCL, traditional time with DCL.  I think the traditional time worked better.  Maybe it was just NCL, but main dining wasn't as great as it was with DCL, but I liked the specialty restaurants with NCL better than DCL.  I felt the my time was slow, food came out closer to warm than hot.  Getting our drinks too forever as well.  We are setting for traditional with RC, hoping for a better experience. 

1 hour ago, Wubar said:

If I am understanding other responses correctly, it looks like both the early traditional and mytime options were full, and if we want to switch to full-time mytime dining, we would have to call and get put on the waitlist? It isnt the end of the world if we can't switch, but there are 2 children in our party, so 8pm is pretty late for them to be eating dinner...

Yes, you'll need to do as the others here have advised and call Royal or your travel agent, and ask to be put on the wait list for MyTime Dining. Sorry for not understanding your situation right!

If you find that you still end up with the 8 PM slot and the children are taking part in Adventure Ocean, you can always take them to the Windjammer for an earlier dinner and then go back to AO while the rest of you have an "adults-only" dinner. Not ideal if you're looking to have dinner as a family, but a possible fallback option you could use if they get tired or cranky and definitely can't hold out until 8pm some day(s).

Sorry to piggy back here but I have a question as well. In regards to ship entertainment and shows; If I select traditional dining for the second seating at 8PM will this mean I am going to be missing the shows. I have never been on a cruise and do not really understand what time they start or how they are planned.

Thanks 

5 minutes ago, DaArsonist said:

Sorry to piggy back here but I have a question as well. In regards to ship entertainment and shows; If I select traditional dining for the second seating at 8PM will this mean I am going to be missing the shows. I have never been on a cruise and do not really understand what time they start or how they are planned.

Thanks 

I had the same question! Another reason 8pm dinner might be a disadvantage when it comes to planning other nighttime attractions or shows...

5 minutes ago, Wubar said:

I had the same question! Another reason 8pm dinner might be a disadvantage when it comes to planning other nighttime attractions or shows...

I figured 8 PM was better in case late coming in from port and wanted to shower and get changed plus we are typically late eaters; but now wondering about entertainment.

On most ships, there are early and late show times that coordinate with both the early and late dinner seatings.  That actually means making the shows is hardest on those that insist on eating halfway between the two seatings.  On some ships, you may have to eat dinner in the windjammer or elsewhere to make the specific show you want but that can happen to those with early or late seating.  The best recommendation is to look at some old cruise compasses from similar itineraries to your cruise to get an idea of when things get scheduled.

7 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

On most ships, there are early and late show times that coordinate with both the early and late dinner seatings.  That actually means making the shows is hardest on those that insist on eating halfway between the two seatings.  On some ships, you may have to eat dinner in the windjammer or elsewhere to make the specific show you want but that can happen to those with early or late seating.  The best recommendation is to look at some old cruise compasses from similar itineraries to your cruise to get an idea of when things get scheduled.

Where can I find a compass? I am traveling on Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston Doing the western Caribbean with Conzumel, Jamaica, and Grand Cayman.

Thanks 

4 minutes ago, DaArsonist said:

Where can I find a compass? I am traveling on Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston Doing the western Caribbean with Conzumel, Jamaica, and Grand Cayman.

Thanks 

Look at the very top of this page, there is a link for Cruise Compasses.

48 minutes ago, DaArsonist said:

If I select traditional dining for the second seating at 8PM will this mean I am going to be missing the shows. I have never been on a cruise and do not really understand what time they start or how they are planned.

Thanks 

Nope, the shows are performed usually twice per evening, and it will be opposite your dinner time.  In terms of shows, going with a traditional dinner option is the way to go.

Also, be sure to reference a past Cruise Compass for a ballpark idea of what to expect on your sailing. Here's an archive of them: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compass