Newbie questions: voom, soda pack, cell service

hoofbeats95

We are on Adventure of the Seas leaving from FLL March 10 (Georgetown, Costa Maya, Cozumel).

We have Sprint cells.  Anyone know if they will work reliably in port?  I read that the ship has a cell service that is crazy expensive.  How do I avoid my cell attaching to that - airplane mode? 

Is Voom worth it?  And if you do one device is it tied to a specific device or any one device at a time?  Could  I disconnect and let hubby connect on his device? 

The soda pack at 9.99/ day - is that worth it?  What's the lowest price you've seen? What is the onboard price? I know I can bring soda on, but I wouldn't mind having the package, even though I dislike coca cola freestyle machines. *gag*

In American ports, your phones will work fairly reliably.  However when in foreign ports or at sea, you'll be roaming.  And you could incur some VERY significant charges on your phones just from having them on if they're not in airplane mode.  Not to mention your service may be spotty at best which happens when roaming anyway.   So stay in airplane mode to stop from roaming.  If you have the ability to, ask your cell company to turn off international roaming if at all possible.  Some allow this, some dont.  With my xfinity phone I actually have to enable international roaming.    The big part isnt going to be the phone calls on your phone, the big part would be roaming data.  Apps like updating automatically, the phone likes updating automatically, even if the day before you departed you updated all of your apps just in case.  If you have voom, what I recommend is turning on the airplane mode, and then go wifi only.  If your phone allows for wifi calling it'll let you call out if you really must make phone calls, and your apps can update off of the voom.  

If you choose to do Voom, I consider it a good value because I like doing the instagram/twitter/facebooking while on vacation.  Its fairly quick with the stream and surf one.  (dont bother with the surf one, its painfully slow, even for emailing its pretty slow)  As for the devices, the voom 1 device, is one device at a time.  So if you have a laptop, a phone and a tablet, you go on the phone and check twitter, then disconnect from the voom, then get on the laptop and instagram your amazing pictures, then disconnect on the laptop and then get on the tablet and you're on facebook adding a "wish you were here" status.  That's all one device as long as only one is connected at a time.  So your question of you disconnecting and then letting hub connect would work perfectly.

I think 10 bucks a day for average to heavy soda drinkers is a good value.  Think about how much a soda costs at a restaurant.  Usually around 2 bucks.  And that's for each soda.  5 sodas a day and you've broke even.  So 2 sodas at lunch, 2 at dinner, and just 1 soda midday or in the evening, you've broken even to land standards, much less to ship standards if a soda is 4 bucks a soda.  3 sodas and you've broken even on soda.  So good value to me.   If you dont like the freesyle machines, you can always go to a bar and get a fountain soda.    The price for the soda package almost never goes down on the site.  I think people on these forums have seen the soda only package go down like.... once.  In several years.   Across multiple ships and sailings.  The soda package likely does go up onboard the ship, so its almost always a wise decision to prepurchase the soda package, if the only benefit you get is being able to charge the soda package to a different credit card, maybe pay off the soda package before your cruise so you dont have to worry about it.  

I have an S8+ on Sprint. In Cozumel and Costa Maya recently can't really say I had that huge of a problem. Only think was data was slow as heck. One think Sprint does offer is faster data service on demand when roaming for around $5 a day. When you enable data service when in port you should get a message that outlines the fee structure.

On ship, turn on airplane mode then on wifi and if needed bluetooth.

2 hours ago, CGTLH said:

I have an S8+ on Sprint. In Cozumel and Costa Maya recently can't really say I had that huge of a problem. Only think was data was slow as heck. One think Sprint does offer is faster data service on demand when roaming for around $5 a day. When you enable data service when in port you should get a message that outlines the fee structure.

On ship, turn on airplane mode then on wifi and if needed bluetooth.

Did you do the voom on the ship? Or just use phone in ports? I've had luck using sprint in Europe but data was super slow. I'll research my options with them. I still can't decide if internet on ship is something I need. 

AT&T offered a deal for around $89 or $99 which gave me service on the ship with unlimited calls, texts, etc.  It was worth it for me to be connected while cruising.  Check with your cell carrier about plans they offer.  Without an add-on plan, you can rack up a hefty bill very quickly if you are not careful.

7 minutes ago, hoofbeats95 said:

Did you do the voom on the ship? Or just use phone in ports? I've had luck using sprint in Europe but data was super slow. I'll research my options with them. I still can't decide if internet on ship is something I need. 

I'm one of those that is unwilling to "disconnect" on a cruise. Not a requirement but by choice. Don't forget, while it can be expensive a single 24 hour period can be bought.

If I was restricted to only using the internet over cellular while in port I would get frustrated fast. It is fine for the basic tasks such as email and very light browsing. Beyond that it can get frustrating. 

On 2/23/2019 at 5:50 PM, TNphilp said:

AT&T offered a deal for around $89 or $99 which gave me service on the ship with unlimited calls, texts, etc.  It was worth it for me to be connected while cruising.  Check with your cell carrier about plans they offer.  Without an add-on plan, you can rack up a hefty bill very quickly if you are not careful.

In my opnion, that plan is wayyyy overpriced.  You are much better off getting a Voom package and utilizing WiFi Calling.

On 2/23/2019 at 7:39 PM, hoofbeats95 said:

You can get voom for just 24 hours? Can anyone tell me how much that is? 

For Surf and Stream it comes in at about $30.