Differences between cruising from Port Canaveral and Fort Lauderdale ?

Joe01

I did HM from FLL 2 years ago and will be back in June to sail out of PC.

This isn't a major issue, but what are the differences between sailing from Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral? Will the atmosphere feel different? Also, how are the demographics from PC? FLL was relatively varied.

Also, while we are talking about Canaveral, which airport is best for there and how can we get from the airport to the area?

The difference is about 197 miles.

Port Everglades is very close to Hollywood/Fort Lauderdale airport (FLL).  When viewed from the air the two properties nearly touch each other.

Port Canaveral can be reached from Orlando International airport (MCO) or Melbourne International airport (MLB).  Neither airport is as close to the port as Port Everglades is to FLL airport. 

Airports for Port Canaveral are a greater distance from the port but sometimes the Orlando airport will have cheaper flights.  I generally stay at a hotel near the airport and find my way to the port the morning of the cruise.  Orlando has so many hotels they are often cheaper compared to staying near the port.  

Demographics will be nearly identical.  Demographics will vary at both based on time of year more than from local influences.  

In both cases the terminal was built for Oasis class ships.  Different design but both equal to the task.

We always fly in MCO when cruising out of Port Canaveral.

I personally prefer leaving from Port Everglades.  Everything is so close there.  Airport, port, hotels, great restaurants, all within 10-15 min of each other.  When we cruise out of Port Canaveral, we are always torn as to where we should stay the night before.  I don't like the hotels near the port, hotels in Orlando are more expensive.  We've done 3 now out of PC, and each time we've ended up staying at the Hyatt Regency right inside MCO.  Then we take the cruise transfer the next morning to the port.  It's about a 40-45 min drive.  We have Harmony booked again for December 2020.  This time we will be travelling with 14 people.  Unsure as to what we will do this time...

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I think you will find the experience more similar than different.

One noticeable difference is to get into Port Everglades, you have to show ID as you drive into the port area. At Port Canaveral, you can drive right up to the terminal.

What if you are using a parking service like park n go that has shuttles. Do they card everyone on the shuttle going into the port?

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

I'm not sure how that works. I always park at the port.

What about those that are flying in and then take a shuttle from the airport or from their hotel? I think that since they are on the shuttle they just let them go and check in at the terminal, however never been there I don't know. I will be there this December, that is why I am wondering about it.

31 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

What if you are using a parking service like park n go that has shuttles

I've used Park N Go in Ft. Lauderdale for cruises out of Port Everglades three times. They card you before you get on the shuttle and the driver gets carded at the port entry gate. No more than a 10 minute drive from the parking lot to the terminal. They load your suitcases on the shuttle and off load them at the terminal. Never had any problems with Park N Go. :27_sunglasses:

Regarding demographics, we are on for the first 2 weeks of July. Expecting lots of families - no problem.

Sailing from Europe last year was great as there was an even mix of nationalities (and even some fellow Scots). I worry that Port Canaveral based ships are mostly American and we'll feel out of place. 

If you've done FR or OA from PC, was it all Americans or a mix of nationalities?