What Happens During Fog Delays?

Some of us sit out in the Gulf of Mexico all night, waiting for the fog to clear so that the ship in port can get out.  On Brilliance last month, we raced back to get in before the fog, missed the window, so we sat all night and half the next day to get into Tampa.  We had to wait for the Holland America ship to vacate and pass under the bridge so we could go under to bridge to get back.  Only one ship at a time...

1 hour ago, ThyriC said:

I remember watching the cruise tracker and listening to the radios for that one KathyC.  I recall the Carnival ship that was also out there waiting with you was mighty upset at the fog.  Brilliance was trying to negotiate her way to coming in sooner but that fog was nasty.

The captain thought we would be able to begin our way in around 10am but then the port informed him that the Holland America ship had to leave before we could enter.  It left closer to 11am and it takes about 3 hours for a ship to leave and get out of the way.  The channel through the bay is so narrow, ships can not pass each other so we had to putter around outside of the bridge as the Holland Ship slowly made her way out.  Only when it cleared were we allowed to begin our entrance which then took 3 hours to reach the pier.    

If HAL had been able to leave the day before we would have at the pier by 1pm.

I was one of the few people that made my original flight at 6:30pm.  I got lucky.