Some musings on Royal Up...

PocketsRN

Now that I've finally found the elusive email and am waiting on that first golden ticket to appear, it got me wondering a few things about how it works.

Is your bid a set amount, or function as a max?  Say I bid $1000, and the next highest bidder only bids $500, do I win at $1000 or, say, $505?

I got offers for both a junior and a grande suite.  What happens if i win both? Does it default to the higher of the two, or does it give me a choice?

Can a pending bid maybe interfere with printing my papers?  I've been trying to print my set sail pass and luggage tags for the last 4 days, and cant get in.  Didnt know if maybe it's because it might well change (though i can't imagine RC's IT to be that intelligent)

Lastly, anyone feel like waiting for that won/lost email is about the same as waiting for that imminent sail date that just wont hurry up and get here?

2 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I believe that even if you bid on more than 1 category, they will only award 1 upgrade...at least, that is what I have been reading.

Agree with this statement, Royal will probably take the highest bid say for the Grand Suite and award to you and then the next highest bid for the Junior.

As @mworkman states, if you bid a $1000 and win, that is what Royal will take.

On my one and only Royal up email, after I sent my bid in a received a confirmation email back saying they had accepted my bid, but it also had a button that I could modify or change my bid, so if you want to lower or raise your bid I would use the modify button.

Be aware that just because they accept bids for a category of cabins does not mean one in each category is actually available.  

They accept bids in case a cabin opens up.  That could be someone else "won" an upgrade and now their cabin is available to award to someone else who bid on it, or could be last minute cancellations that do happen from time to time.  

Or it could be no one cancels and no upgrades are awarded in any category.  

In some cases they know a certain cabin type is easier to sell last minute so they might award an upgrade to make a cabin available in a category that is easier to sell on the open market.

It's all about them being ready to make more money should cabins be available.  Revenue management.  Otherwise a pinnacle in an interior cabin might get a free suite upgrade once they board.  This way they can sell that suite upgrade, sell a balcony upgrade and sail with an empty interior cabin without ever giving away a free upgrade to a pinnacle.  

I put bids on two suites and a ocean view balcony room for our upcoming cruise on Feb 17th. I bid a little over the minimum on all three rooms in November. On Feb 1st, I was notified that my RoyalUp bid was accepted for the balcony room. The immediately took payment from the card I used to make the bid and our stateroom was reassigned immediately as well.