Roatan Pier damage * 11/19/18

tonyfsu21

Still lots of debris in the water surrounding the port. A large 50’ x 50’ section of concrete structure just barely below the waterline adjacent to the ship. Construction appears to be slow and disorganized with little concern for the environmental impact. IMHO this is a dumper of a port of call and RC should go elsewhere. We are staying on the ship today. 

366250AF-4995-432B-A499-AA9E12EDA08C.jpeg

I couldn’t agree with you more, Tony re: Roatan.  We refuse to leave the ship when we call on this port.  They treat their citizens like C.R.A.P.  All of the roads around the “tourist” areas are in great shape.  Roads everywhere else are impassible.  No wonder the people of Honduras will do almost anything to get out.  Reprehensible. 

My wife feels the same way about Roatan she refuses to go on an excursion. The last time we went we had security following us around. I thought to myself that is never a good thing to have security with you on an excursion. I have seen a lot worse since I was in the military for 20 years and always got sent to the garden spots of the world. I would say Haiti, not Labadee, would be one of the worse places as poverty is a way of life - roads, what roads; oh, you need to use the bathroom - ok, well the street looks like a good place for it.  

@Tim B. Thanks for adding that, I was going to add the preface to my above comment that I have never been to Haiti and I forgot to add.

My son is a Doctor and takes mission trips to Nicaragua and says it is pretty bad, they would try and feed the Doctors and the kids and parents would go hungry, his delicacy meal of his last trip was a iguana. 

I'll offer a slightly different perspecitve to the perceptions in this thread...I booked an excursion to the sloth sanctuary coupled with an island tour, and while we only visited desirable places from a tourism perspective, it was one of the best excursions I have ever done. We saw everything from sloths, monkeys, and parrots to chocolate being made and a wonderful water side meal that was reasonably priced by US standards. We also had some amazing street food...mango and pineapple.

Islands like that need our tourism dollar in the hope that one day it will have an effect in more places there. I found the people we encountered to be wonderful, and I wouldn't hesitate to try other options on the island as well.

@DunkelBierJay don't get me wrong, we had a good time, we had hired a private excursion through Victor Bodden tours (Highly recommend) that took us all over the island. My point that I should have made, like yours, is that they need our tourism dollars if things are going to improve. Just like all the places hit by hurricanes last year.