Flights from FLL

What is the absolute earliest departure flight you can book out of the FLL airport if you are cruising from Port Everglades and make the flight? There is an 8:30AM flight available for a great price, but I am pretty sure that is too close for comfort. Just thought I'd ask someone with experience at this port and airport to confirm.

While I'd probably say 'yes' if it was like, a 10:30 flight, 8:30 is far too close to comfort. A lot of times people aren't even leaving the ship around 7 AM, so you'd pretty much have to be first in line with luggage in hand and then cross your fingers and hope that there isn't an issue with customs/the ship getting cleared by customs/security isn't totally backed up at the airport. 

Missed flight = really good way to undo all of the relaxing you just did on board. 

wouldn't even think about an 8:30 flight....no matter how smoothly things go for you.

My experience is that it takes about an 60-75mins...from the time I leave my room on the ship till I am at FLL....that's with everything go smoothly..self check out..no long wait for a cab/uber etc.....but with check in time for an 8:30 flight of prob 7:30?....no way to make that...imho.

46 minutes ago, cruiselife said:

What is the absolute earliest departure flight you can book out of the FLL airport if you are cruising from Port Everglades and make the flight? There is an 8:30AM flight available for a great price, but I am pretty sure that is too close for comfort. Just thought I'd ask someone with experience at this port and airport to confirm.

Technically you could make it if everything falls into place, but there are far too many variables, and I wouldn't risk any flights earlier than 11 am even if I am getting off the ship as soon as it clears.

45 minutes ago, Running Joe said:

Hmmmm.....what about trying to catch an 11:55am flight departing from Orlando airport from Port Canaveral. Is this doable?

Thanks.

Probably not realistic since he’s cruising from Port Everglades and not Port Canaveral. ? 

3 hours ago, Running Joe said:

Hmmmm.....what about trying to catch an 11:55am flight departing from Orlando airport from Port Canaveral. Is this doable?

Thanks.

Tight but doable.   If traveling with a large party, kids or elderly I wouldn't.   If you are traveling light and agile, not using Royal's transfer it's doable IF the ship arrives on time and customs is on their game.  Self assist debarkation recommended.  

8 hours ago, twangster said:

Tight but doable.   If traveling with a large party, kids or elderly I wouldn't.   If you are traveling light and agile, not using Royal's transfer it's doable IF the ship arrives on time and customs is on their game.  Self assist debarkation recommended.  

I still probably wouldn't do this - this adds in variables of time to get a rental car / some type of transport to make the 3 hour drive up to MCO, and then possibility of traffic or further backups in that process (and then maybe turning that rental car back in). 

Taking the 8:30 from FLL seems less risky, and I still don't think that's a great idea. 

1 hour ago, KLA said:

I still probably wouldn't do this - this adds in variables of time to get a rental car / some type of transport to make the 3 hour drive up to MCO, and then possibility of traffic or further backups in that process (and then maybe turning that rental car back in). 

Taking the 8:30 from FLL seems less risky, and I still don't think that's a great idea. 

@Running Joe specifically asked about Port Canaveral to Orlando MCO as opposed to the OP, @cruiselife who is sailing from Port Everglades.

..." flight departing from Orlando airport from Port Canaveral."

To put things in perspective about flights using FLL from Port Everglades.  My personal best was to be through security at FLL at 7:58am after they started letting us leave at 7:30am.  That was the stated arrival time.

28 minutes from ship to gate.  

That's cruising solo, front of the line self-assist, using a taxi, with TSA Pre.  

An 8:30am flight boards at 8am and luggage cut off is probably 7:45am depending on airline.  An 8:30am flight with no checked bags is possible, @mpoole3 has done it if I recall, but the stars need to align perfectly.  Way too risky even for me as a frequent flier who knows the shorts cuts.  

13 hours ago, Running Joe said:

Thanks.

Apologies for before comment - I thought you were responding to OP! 

As long as you do self-carry disembark (probably plan to be off ship before 8 AM), and there are no issues clearing customs, I think that would absolutely be doable.