2016 Cruises

Pezdog

Is it best to book this far in advance for 2016 cruises? At the moment the Wine and Dine deal is available on Explorer for 2016 but it seems pricey for 11 nights.

Am I better off waiting or is this about as good as it gets and could trend upwards leading to final payments?

Cheers

Pezdog

I have booked my January 2016 cruise on Allure in july 2014. And so far gained an onboard credit and the price never stop going up. I checked the price evolution every two or tree weeks. 

I still have 320 days until then and I dont think the price will ever get to the level I paid again. Even with there "BOGO" 

I agree with booking early if you know what you want, and then occasionally checking pricing.  It is worth noting that better pricing is not necessarily the better deal.  If you booked now and got the OBC and later the base price drops, you would lose the OBC by taking the new lower price (unless they are offering OBC at that time). 

My philosophy is to drop a deposit as early as possible, then rebook at lower rate/package if a deal does come along, and ultimately cancel and get my deposit back if my plans fall through.

I would say I probably put down about two deposits for every cruise I take, lost interest on the deposit is minimal, saved increases on the fare/package add up to a lot of money though.

For example, a year ago I do not know the timing of my sons springbreak for 2016 but did know that we would want to do a cruise and had a pretty good idea of which week it would be. I put deposits down on two cruises expecting one of them to be the right week and that I would cancel the other. His springbreak just got announced and they changed their pattern so actually I will be cancelling both cruises. No harm, no foul on my side, both cruises were up about 40% from what I booked them at a year ago as of now so if I had taken one or the other my deposit paid off big time. Instead I booked NCL Escape for SB '16 and am out maybe $2 in interest not earned ;)

Also, I cruise every Thanksgiving so as soon as RCL releases the schedule in March I will be dropping a deposit or two on Thx 16. Maybe I will take the cruise I book, maybe I wont, but at least I will have a good price and a good room locked in if I want it.

• 1 month later...

It's pretty unusual that a cruise a year in advance is completely sold out. I would call them directly and confirm that. Some categories on some ships will go quickly but usually not THAT quickly. It COULD happen but I would be skeptical. Sometimes they have access to rooms that are not even published so I wouldn't give up quite yet.

Just spoke to a TA that said they were informed that the ship is due for Drydock after the cruise but they have not confirmation yet so they have suspended the booking. I also read elsewhere it is due in Alaska about that time. All seems suss to me

Well, that makes a little more sense than thinking the thing would be sold out....but it is still somewhat "suss" as you say - to think that the cruise line does not even know where their ships will be - even a year from now. You would think that if they are truly "canceling" that particular cruise that they would just take out of the lineup altogether. Having it sitting there, showing "N/A" is just alarming and confusing !

You should get some kind of points just for picking the ONE cruise that they end up canceling ! LOL

Yeah I have some friends and family already booked so was trying to get on the same one.

It seems the same ship has N/A on both its last two cruises and being 3800 pax or so I doubt both be sold out.

Hope I'm wrong for their sake but I'm guessing they will be taking it to Seattle.

Does anyone know if they would cancel those last two and cruise from Sydney to Seattle or if as intended they would just travel from Singapore to Seattle without a cruise? Just seems a waste or does that happen often?

There is virtually -0- chance that they would sail an empty ship from Sydney (or anywhere else) to Seattle. If there are no cruises scheduled, it is probably b/c the ship will be going to drydock somewhere. Even then it seems like they would have some kind of shortie cruise into or near the drydock port so that they wouldn't have to sail an empty ship ALL the way.

I think they are just still juggling schedules around at this point. They probably don't know what they're doing yet.

If you have friends/family already booked on a cruise that is now showing N/A then chances are they are going to be getting the bad news sometime soon. I'm guessing that cruise has been cancelled.

• 4 weeks later...

Cancelled!

Will have to see what sort of compensation they are going to offer.

I was booked on this cruise you are talking about out of Fremantle. I have't heard from RCL as yet and am none to pleased as I booked this beginning Sept 2014 for a family holiday. THere are NO OTHER CRUISES that are out of FREMANTLE next year which is basically what I need. Airfares domestically in Australia are horendous and airfare to Sydney which is where most cruises leave from would cost more than the actual cruise itself. RCL had better be offering a VERY GOOD COMPENSATION PACKAGE. or I will never sail again on her.