Adventure Ocean & Living Room ???

rjac

On April 1st, our daughter and her family will be joining us on the Allure for the cruise that week. Grand kids will also be joining us (FUN!!!) (son in law....not so much:3_grin:). My daughters concern is, if we (the adults) are doing some adult things at night (stand up comedy, drinking & dancing, etc) and the grands (ages 8 & 12) are in the AO and teen living room/dance club) what happens if one of the grands has a problem and needs to contact their Mom/Dad? Does the staff hunt them down/page them? Or is it best to get the VOOM package for calling/texting. This is something my wife and I haven't had to deal with on past cruises. So, I'm looking for help/recommendations from folks who have children the same ages and how you handled this situation. Thanks! :27_sunglasses:

I have gotten the Voom package for my teens but not the younger kids...who don't have a cell phone anyways.  My kids are not that age now but I've had them in AO at that age and will so again soon. So take this as my opinion only.  If it was *my*12 year old, they have a phone and I would get VOOM. My thinking is that the 12 year old has free roaming of the ship and it is nice for them to check in.  Now if it was *my* 8 year old, they don't have a phone at that age so no need for VOOM.  Also, *my* 8 year old would not be able to roam the ship by themselves so I know where they are at night...which is in AO.

I've never had an instance where my kids at any age needed immediate access to me. If it was a true emergency, I would think the AO staff would hunt me down but I've never asked.  On Liberty there were phones to check out for the AO but they are typically reserved for the nursery and if any left for the Aquanauts. I don't know if there would be any left for your Explorer. I just tell my kids I will pick them up by 10 and to have fun...I feel like that sounds dismissive of your concerns but its not meant to be. My kids know the expectation is that in the evening they are in AO and daytime AO time is up to them...there are certain daytime activities that my kids love so we check the kids compass for them.     

@rjac, I cannot say anything about AO as my daughter was unwilling to go. She was 9 1/2 and found it too babyish. However, they did let my other daughter and our friend's daughter into the teens club and we were informed that in the Living Room they have organized activities but are more than welcome to come and go as they please. So pretty much what @melski94 has already said. 

Sorry I cannot be more help ? 

21 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

So the second half of your B2B just got a bit more interesting! LOL. Can't help with the kids thing, but hope this all works out with SIL! LOL:4_joy:

Not to worry, I convinced him he needs the deluxe drink package. He's going to be fun whether he likes it or not!:3_grin:

1 hour ago, rjac said:

Not to worry, I convinced him he needs the deluxe drink package. He's going to be fun whether he likes it or not!:3_grin:

I'm taking my 12 YO Grandson on Liberty with me in July, and I'm worried that he will not stay busy unless I'm with him, his Mom (My daughter says he will not want to be separated and join in at AO), I'm speaking mostly about evening and night, daytime he should be good with everything there is to do onboard.

Maybe the daytime will wear him out so much he'll go to bed early, lol... not going to happen.

@rjac  I'm trying to make sure I'm not missing anything...any medical, anxiety, other issues? Are you talking about keeping them there until 10 or the late night party?  I'd address the AO staff with the concerns during registration and see what they can do as the AO staff have always been very good to my kids. A few other suggestions, have 12 yo check on 8 yo once a night and text parents status. Or the parents can call up to AO and check on the child.  Also, the child can use the AO phone to leave a message on the stateroom phone and parents check that phone every once in a while. 

@tiny260 My biggest suggestion is for the 12 yo to go the first night to the teen club. The staff does a really good job with the meet and greet and encourage new friendships.