Adventure of The Seas vs Anthem

chrisd596

I have 2 questions...We cruised on Anthem last year for our first RC experience after cruising on DCL 7 times. We did enjoy the experience. This summer we're looking at a cruise that the Adventure of the Seas is doing. I'm wondering after doing Anthem, if the Adventure would seem much less of an experience??? Any thoughts from people who have done both ships would be great.

Also the staterooms we're looking at is both the Ocean View Balcony and the "Spacious Ocean View Balcony." Not sure how much bigger 28 square feet would be??

Thanks for any thoughts ....

Chris

I think you have to look at it from the standpoint that one is a fairly new ship with all the amenities of a new ship and the other is not.  Not sure if you have been following @twangster's blog on Freedom last week but it's sort of like the final comment that he made...going from Harmony to Freedom you have to tell yourself not to compare apples to apples because it would not be a fair comparison. Those two ships are different just like Harmony and Freedom were.  For myself, I am going on Anthem in a few months after sailing only Oasis class the last few times even I have to mentally prep myself for the differences. 

That being said, I don't really think that any ship in the fleet is terrible.  It comes down to preference and what your family enjoys. What is important to you when cruising? If it's unique activities like the seas plex and north star etc., technology, tons of entertainment, then you might find Adventure lacking a bit. However, adventure is in for a refurb soon but I won't have your broadway shows like We Will Rock You or the broadway type shows on a Disney cruise. If you prefer the mid size ship feel and then adventure will suit you just fine. I really do think it comes down to being honest with what type of experience you are looking for and then adjusting your expectations if you do choose Adventure that you will not be on the same class of ship as Anthem so the experience will be different. But different is not always a bad thing....?

Oh and I think with the ocean view balcony vs. Spacious ocean view balcony the difference is just a slightly bigger balcony.  Worth the extra cost? Not sure ? I have never paid extra for a slightly bigger balcony lol. For us it's always been just ocean view balcony or if we spend extra it's going to be a suite!

2 hours ago, chrisd596 said:

Thanks for the recommendations. I actually think the balcony is slightly larger on the smaller stateroom. 46 vs 42. Which really is not much of a difference. 

Yes, the name "Spacious Ocean View Balcony" is very misleading. There was actually a whole thread about it posted by @mworkman not too long ago. The "spaciousness" is supposed to be in the main cabin, at the expense of balcony space. If you're having more than two people in the cabin, you want the "spacious" one, otherwise just get the "non-spacious" one and save some money / get a bigger balcony. 28 sq ft of extra interior space is hardly anything; the maps on cruisedeckplans.com indicate the extra space comes from an extra couple of feet in length in the cabin, no extra width.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Yes, the name "Spacious Ocean View Balcony" is very misleading. There was actually a whole thread about it posted by @mworkman not too long ago. The "spaciousness" is supposed to be in the main cabin, at the expense of balcony space. If you're having more than two people in the cabin, you want the "spacious" one, otherwise just get the "non-spacious" one and save some money / get a bigger balcony. 28 sq ft of extra interior space is hardly anything; the maps on cruisedeckplans.com indicate the extra space comes from an extra couple of feet in length in the cabin, no extra width.

That's the exact info I was looking for, thanks.

Have u been on the Adv of the Seas recently? That ship has a great itinerary for Aug with stops in 4 ports. We've done Halifax and Bar Harbor last year and loved it, they're adding Portland and St. John?  Wondering your thoughts on the ship and the stops at Portland and St Johns??

Thanks

Chris 

Sorry, Chris. Haven't sailed any ships yet, believe it or not. My first sailing will be on Freedom in March of next year. After that I'm sailing Anthem to Bermuda in October, so at least by that point I'll have done one half of the comparison. :4_joy:

I've also been looking at the Fall Foliage / New England & Canada itineraries on both Anthem and Adventure. I personally think I'd rather do Adventure for the larger set of ports and that smaller ship's ability to go further inland / do an open jaw trip. Going from Cape Liberty, NJ (half-hour drive from my home by Lyft, or limo if I want to spoil the family) to Quebec could be great, with some extra time spent in Quebec before flying home.

21 hours ago, chrisd596 said:

Have u been on the Adv of the Seas recently? That ship has a great itinerary for Aug with stops in 4 ports. We've done Halifax and Bar Harbor last year and loved it, they're adding Portland and St. John?  Wondering your thoughts on the ship and the stops at Portland and St Johns??

I just got off Adventure on Saturday.  Right now she's sailing out of Puerto Rico, as she's done every fall through spring since 2002.  I'm actually sad that she's moving to the North East; she's my favorite ship thus far, and we've sailed on her 6 times out of my 16 cruises.  Was hoping for one more cruise on her for our 140 point crystal ship cruise, but the NE itineraries do nothing for me (I'm Caribbean-oriented) so it looks like next year's 11 day on Serenade gets that honor.

The ship is fine; the last refurb was interrupted by a hurricane, but it should be finished in January IIRC.  I was on it last November right after the refurb, and there were a lot of half-finished projects on board.  All of them have been completed and much of the carpets etc in public areas have been replaced.   The staterooms kind of need a refresh, though.  Seafoam blue and pink carpets, coral colored doors, etc. make it look a bit dated.

If you enjoy the ports you're sailing to, I'd say go for it!

Thanks for the reply's. I have 2 different reservations on hold....Adventure for 7days, $300 obc and Anthem for 9days, $200 OBC. Same itineray except Boston is included on the Anthem. We r actually doing a Nov cruise w/ my family to Bermuda on the Anthem in Nov. We did the Anthem last year. We loved that the Solarium was totally covered.

The Anthem runs about $300 more to cover the 2 extra days which seems decent. 

Need to think...

Thanks

Chris

On 11/28/2017 at 11:02 AM, bcarney said:

I just got off Adventure on Saturday.  Right now she's sailing out of Puerto Rico, as she's done every fall through spring since 2002.  I'm actually sad that she's moving to the North East; she's my favorite ship thus far, and we've sailed on her 6 times out of my 16 cruises.  Was hoping for one more cruise on her for our 140 point crystal ship cruise, but the NE itineraries do nothing for me (I'm Caribbean-oriented) so it looks like next year's 11 day on Serenade gets that honor.

The ship is fine; the last refurb was interrupted by a hurricane, but it should be finished in January IIRC.  I was on it last November right after the refurb, and there were a lot of half-finished projects on board.  All of them have been completed and much of the carpets etc in public areas have been replaced.   The staterooms kind of need a refresh, though.  Seafoam blue and pink carpets, coral colored doors, etc. make it look a bit dated.

If you enjoy the ports you're sailing to, I'd say go for it!

We've got one of the stinky NE itineraries, stopping in Port Canaveral from 12-9, then Nassau & CocoCay.  PC we'll probably only get off the boat if we dock next to Grills; otherwise doubt we'll get off.  My 18 & 20 year olds will be legal to drink in Nassau, so we're getting off there so they can order a drink somewhere.  CocoCay is the main stop for the trip. Other than spending time together as a family once the boys get home from college, and enjoying their grandparents too.  :D