Paying Final Payment-Possible Price Reduction?

HI All,  I happen to be weirdl when it comes to paying bills etc and I was going to pay for the rest of our first cruise that is May 2015 by Thanksgiving this year.  I thought I read somewhere on this blog that if you pay in full and there happens to be a price reduction you are out of luck. Is that the case?  I have 4 more cruises booked through 2019 and want to budget accordingly.

Thank you for your input!! (of course it's wishful thinking about a price reduction, but thought I'd ask! ) LOLK

1 hour ago, Boston Babe said:

HI All,  I happen to be weirdl when it comes to paying bills etc and I was going to pay for the rest of our first cruise that is May 2015 by Thanksgiving this year.  I thought I read somewhere on this blog that if you pay in full and there happens to be a price reduction you are out of luck. Is that the case?  I have 4 more cruises booked through 2019 and want to budget accordingly.

Thank you for your input!! (of course it's wishful thinking about a price reduction, but thought I'd ask! ) LOLK

I think @twangster just posted something last week about trying to get a price adjustment after final payment and the answer was "no".  Maybe he can chime in...

6 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

I think @twangster just posted something last week about trying to get a price adjustment after final payment and the answer was "no".  Maybe he can chime in...

@Sabrinaklai I thought I saw that, but wanted to confirm. I guess it's stupid to give them my money 3 months in advance! LOL

12 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

@Sabrinaklai I thought I saw that, but wanted to confirm. I guess it's stupid to give them my money 3 months in advance! LOL

I always hang on to mine till the last minute lol. Literally, I call them usually close to 11pm to make final payment because I am hoping for price drops, upgrades, etc.

I looked back, it was in the general discussion forum, the topic was "Very Disappointed".

2 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

I thought I read somewhere on this blog that if you pay in full and there happens to be a price reduction you are out of luck. Is that the case?  I have 4 more cruises booked through 2019 and want to budget accordingly.

Assuming you live in a country like USA (and with a username like "Boston Babe" I think that's a safe assumption), you can re-price the cruise you booked up until final payment date (90 days before sailing.  What you're really doing is cancelling and rebooking.  Closer than 90 days, you can still do it, but there's a penalty involved that most often negates any savings.

9 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

I always hang on to mine till the last minute lol. Literally, I call them usually close to 11pm to make final payment because I am hoping for price drops, upgrades, etc.

Thank you! I found it too!  You are too funny!  I'm sure no sales upgrade etc, but as I said to Matt, I think I'll hold on to my money for awhile! LOL

Even if you pay off the cruise early, you're still able to cancel before final payment without penalty provided that you did not book under a non refundable deposit program. However, I have heard it's easier if you have a small balance than no balance due, although I don't know why. Perhaps it's easier for them to adjust pricing rather than issuing a refund. 

2 hours ago, DocLC said:

Even if you pay off the cruise early, you're still able to cancel before final payment without penalty provided that you did not book under a non refundable deposit program. However, I have heard it's easier if you have a small balance than no balance due, although I don't know why. Perhaps it's easier for them to adjust pricing rather than issuing a refund. 

I think I remember reading a while back that if you have fully paid off your balance before final payment date, then any price reduction you might get up until then is applied as OBC rather than refunded to your credit card. This was the reason to hold off that final payment until the very last day, and I think the other recommendation was to keep the balance at only a couple hundred dollars since it wasn't likely you'd get back better than that.

Once final payment has been made I've always known trying for a price reduction is unlikely to yield any results.  That's okay, those are the rules.  Sometimes though after final payment I've been able to upgrade, at cost, to a different cabin type.  Unfortunately for my upcoming Anthem sailing they wouldn't go there, from inside to ocean view or balcony.  Since I'm going solo that's okay, it's just me.  I'll spend that money on some diving excursions.