special_needs RCCL dining

46 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

Hello. I've sent an email to special_needs@rccl.com regarding a low-sodium diet. We have the UDP and will eat about 1/2 of our sailing in Coast Kitchen. What can I expect when I dine in this low-sodium situation?

I don't know what to expect but.........why get the UDP if you plan to eat most of your meals in the CK?

2 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

Good question. We plan to eat the other 1/2 of the week's in specialty.

Then it might be better to get the 3N package, if CK is the main draw. I only say this as it might be financially better. 🥰

I also would imagine that they would prepare all your meals sans salt. Flavors might differ as they substitute and sub out ingredients. 

Thank you for the UDP suggestions. I got it at a GREAT price, so I will keep it.

Redirect: Will the waiters in specialty dining already know about the low-sodium issue? For those of you who have notified RCCL in advance, will a different menu be presented in any of the dining venues? 

Sending that email really doesn't do anything for altered diet types of situations unless they need to ensure certain ingredients are on board.

Talk to the head waiter when you board then even the person in charge of each dining venue and they'll explain things for you. There was a man on a recent cruise who sat near me in the MDR who was on a low sodium diet and he seemed to have no issues.

2 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

Will the waiters in specialty dining already know about the low-sodium issue? For those of you who have notified RCCL in advance, will a different menu be presented in any of the dining venues? 

They most likely won't know before you arrive, but they will ask if anyone in your party has any food allergies or dietary restrictions when you are seated.

My wife needs to eat gluten free and we are always very pleased with how accommodating our servers and staff are at offering suggestions and adjusting menu items to suit her.

Here is the email I received. It covers everything except specialty dining, but I'll apply the same principles as the suggestion for Coastal Kitchen.

Thank you for contacting the Access Department.

Allergies are handled daily on all sailings. We have advised our ship staff of your dietary restriction for low sodium meals.  Our galley has a separate preparation area away from the main production area to prepare meals for guests with allergies and to avoid cross-contamination of the meals.  Our Food and Beverage Staff attend recurring training programs regarding allergy protocols.

During the booking process, we ask that the guest choose a set dining time versus My Time Dining. This will provide the guests with a dedicated serving staff for the cruise. Once the guest is onboard, we ask them to visit the dining room, introduce themselves and speak with the dining staff to advise of the food allergy. The dining staff for their table will be advised. We are pleased to advise you Royal Caribbean offers Gluten Free meals as a standard offering on our menus in the main dining room. We offer lactose free, almond milk, soy milk, whole milk and skim milk onboard our ships. Please talk with the Coastal Kitchen Staff to go over your meal preparation.

When guests eat in the buffet, please ask for a manager so they can arrange to get a meal from the galley. This will avoid any cross contamination that may occur at the buffet.  When eating in specialty restaurants or other food venues, it is important to advise our staff of the allergies.  However, you are allowed to bring, non-perishable food items such as cookies, crackers, chips, energy bars, etc.  These items must not require refrigeration and be sealed in the original store bought containers.

Best regards,

Charles Alvarez
Access Advocate | Access Department
Royal Caribbean International | Celebrity Cruise
If you have a sailing within the next 30 days or less, please call us at 1-866-592-7225 (Mon-Fri; 9 am to 6 pm Eastern)