Excursions, The Key, Dining and Prices

Hello Royal Caribbean folks.

My hubby and I are booked on 2 back to back cruises next April and May 2025 on Odyssey of the Seas.  We read a lot of reviews prior to booking, so thought we knew what to expect, but find the processes more convoluted that Holland America (our only recent cruise).  I have looked up answers here and elsewhere, but sometimes answers are different, so I think some times things change.  So hoping someone can help me out.  Anyway, here are my newbie questions.

I was surprised I couldn't see the available excursions before I booked the trip, and disappointed in the choices once I could.  Is it because the cruise is a year away, and not all are known yet?  For example, no excursions whatsoever in Barcelona and Rome, and only one if Florence.  That doesn't seem right.  I have contacted customer service on this, but no answer yet.  Also, no reviews of the excursions, and descriptions somewhat lacking.  Are we on a bus? (With a bathroom?) And how long are we on the bus/shuttle etc.  Is there anyone I can ask specific questions?

I was comparing the dining discounts.  For our first cruise the only choice is Unlimited Dining in Specialty restaurants (the second cruise has 3 days and unlimited), or, getting 20% off by buying The Key (which has other perks).  But 20% off of what?  I can find nothing about the restaurant prices. Is it $100 a plate, or $50, or $?   Also, it says reservations must all be made of first day of cruise, and at a restaurant.  Really?  This can't be online ahead of time?  Doesn't this process lead to mass line ups on Day One?  If I went for the Unlimited Dining, do I still need to book everything first day?  What if I spent all that money for an unlimited package, but then were unable to get reservations where I wanted?

I hope that's clear!

Thanks in advance for any help here.

Natalie

Lot to unravel here. Excursions trickle in as your cruise gets closer. There is no set timetable when they are released. This is normal. Royal has no control what kind of bus is used for transport. All excursions are ultimately through 3rd party vendors. Royal has never had reviews for excursions on their website, whoever finding reviews online and on this site is easy. Your best bet for specific questions is finding someone who has done the specific excursion. The Key 20% off is off of the on board price of the restaurant. Those prices are found in the cruise planner. Discounted reservations made using the Key or dining packages are made onboard. You are getting a significant discount for the packages so that is the trade off. You must be flexible. If you want a specific restaurant reservation for a specific day or time, it’s best to book online not using a package.

Thank you Ryan.  I think a lot of my confusion is because the trip is so far out, and the information just isn't there yet.  There are no restaurant prices in the cruise planner, nor any reservation ability.  

Regarding the restaurant discounts (either the Key or unlimited).  If folks without these packages can make reservations before boarding, is it not possible the spots will be taken, and I have paid for nothing?  Does that ever happen?  

46 minutes ago, NatalieDoreen said:

Thank you Ryan.  I think a lot of my confusion is because the trip is so far out, and the information just isn't there yet.  There are no restaurant prices in the cruise planner, nor any reservation ability.  

Regarding the restaurant discounts (either the Key or unlimited).  If folks without these packages can make reservations before boarding, is it not possible the spots will be taken, and I have paid for nothing?  Does that ever happen?  

Not all spots are sold online in advance. Some are held back for boarding day. The possibility that you won't get the restaurant you want on at the time you want, or the day you want is real. But that's the price you pay for the discount of the package. You will get something each night. Just have to be flexible. If you actively pursue the earliest possible boarding time, you can get the earliest and best available reservations. 

As far as individual prices for dinner in a specialty restaurant, it varies by ship and date. The average price I would say is $45 to $62 per person. To give you a broad idea based on what I've seen. 

So with a package you won't "pay for nothing". But arriving early helps with day and time availability. Sometimes you can wind up doing a location twice because of availability or lack of at another location. However, they don't sell more packages than they can accommodate. So you will get some restaurant each night with the package. Again, flexibility for package price/discount etc. 

Hi @NatalieDoreen

Re dining, we have previously booked the 3 night dining packages whenever we have done 7 night cruises - so on both weeks for B2Bs. We then check the costs on a regular basis, and read the promotional emails they bombard me with (!), to see if worth cancelling and rebooking when cheaper - Black Friday usually gives a very good deal! 

For Oasis sailings back in January/February the best price for 3 night package that I saw here in the UK was around £110pp (approx. $140). When you consider Chops for one visit at normal price was around £53pp ($65) it was almost a buy 2 get 1 free deal!

There were also some very good deals for lunch in Chops (£16/$20pp) and Giovannis (£14/$18pp) on Black Friday.

With the 3 night package it also meant that as we do not get the alcohol package my wife can get 40% off a bottle of wine. You can then store this to be used in the MDR next night or take it with you - we have even purchased 2 bottles to cover the next couple of days if we know we are not going to another speciality place until day 3 or 4 etc. 

Good luck.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Actually, Royal Caribbean DID have excursion reviews and ratings but they removed those a few years ago.  Shame really.  I liked being able to look at prior remarks and ratings of the various excursions.

But as we know from cruise reviews, I don't know how helpful anonymous reviews would be.

Thank you all for your help here!  We have decided that being able to select the dates and times we want to dine is more important than the discount, so we didn't buy either the dining package or The Key.  We would rather do fewer times, and get when we want to dine.  Any idea how far ahead the reservation system becomes available?

Regarding the reviews... with HA they are not anonymous, and you have to have done the cruise in order to write a review.  I found them very helpful.  I am happy to find this place to ask questions, but it is a lot more digging.

2 hours ago, NatalieDoreen said:

Thank you all for your help here!  We have decided that being able to select the dates and times we want to dine is more important than the discount, so we didn't buy either the dining package or The Key.  We would rather do fewer times, and get when we want to dine.  Any idea how far ahead the reservation system becomes available?

Regarding the reviews... with HA they are not anonymous, and you have to have done the cruise in order to write a review.  I found them very helpful.  I am happy to find this place to ask questions, but it is a lot more digging.

We have our first HA cruise next January (please don't hate me RC fans!) and I am finding the excursion reviews very helpful when planning the days and knowing which ones to avoid! 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing your insights on excursions, dining, and prices! It's always great to hear about fellow travelers' experiences and tips. I noticed you mentioned the Si Como No Resort, and I've got to say, it sounds like a fantastic destination! As for excursions, they're the spice of any trip, aren't they? Whether it's exploring historic sites, diving into local culture, or simply soaking up the sun, there's something for everyone. And dining? Well, that's where the magic happens! Trying out local cuisine is like taking a journey through the flavors of a region.