Debating on beverage package vs buying individual drinks

Since my husband drinks liquor but I typically don’t $70 per day each seems a bit steep. I know alcohol drinks are $14- 20 but what does a coke from the coke machine cost. Thank you , as we are sailing on April11, 2024 for 7 days on the Navigator of the Seas. 

After the 18% service charge you are looking at nearly $4 per soda.

If your husband would get good use out of the alcohol package, you can call Royal Caribbean and they will allow you to purchase the Refreshment Package and let him purchase the Deluxe Package. You do have to call to split the purchase in this manner, the Cruise Planner won't allow you to do it online.

12 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

After the 18% service charge you are looking at nearly $4 per soda.

If your husband would get good use out of the alcohol package, you can call Royal Caribbean and they will allow you to purchase the Refreshment Package and let him purchase the Deluxe Package. You do have to call to split the purchase in this manner, the Cruise Planner won't allow you to do it online.

Thank you so much ! I didn’t know it could be split. 

It really just comes down to cost of the package vs how much you drink. Take into consideration specialty coffees, shakes at johnny rockets, smoothies at the spa. All those things are free with the alcohol package. I just bought the package for myself when it was 35% off. Comes out to about 4.5 alcohol drinks per day. But I will easily have 2 specialty coffees every day, maybe 3 or 4 plus at least 3 cocktails a day. So for me it makes sense paying ahead and not getting a huge surprise bill at the end. Plus I like not to have the worry that I shouldn't have a drink because it costs too much. But everyone is different, there is no right or wrong answer to your question.

Set aside the money you would have spent on the drinks package so you can cover the cost at the end of the cruise. In doing so, I anticipate you may have money left over. If you do find you need to chip in a little bit more, then you will know in the future the drinks package is worth it for you.

In our experience with Royal we've purchased only the Refreshment Package (twice) and always a la' carte on alcohol. 2-3 drinks a day apiece and we're good. Last 2 trips we didn't bother with the Refreshment package because the dynamic pricing is getting too dynamic for my taste. We're not coffee snobs, so whatever free bilge water and fake juices served are good enough. $4 bucks for a can of coke or $10 bucks or so for a specialty coffee, no big deal. Matter of personal preference and experience as others posted.

Time and time again, I have said that the "unlimited" packages, whether drinks, food, etc, are not a simple math debate.

Why do some people eat fast food?  Why do some people go to a diner to eat? Why do some people go to drive-thru car washes?  Is it because its cheap?  Maybe.  Is it because we don't know how to make a cheeseburger? Maybe. Most likely, the answer is because of the convenience factor.

I can easily make a cheeseburger at home for significantly less than paying for one at any restaurant.  I can wash my own car for cheaper than the automated car wash.  But I just don't have the time or energy sometimes.  

When you are on vacation, you are not there to do math.  The oft unspoken benefit of the drinks packages is that I can sit by the pool, order a drink, if I like it, order another one, if I don't like it, order another one, repeat, and I don't have to add up the costs, go to guest services and settle my tab, etc.  That is the longest run-on sentence I have ever written. LOL

Its a personal decision and I do not criticize anyone one way or another, but its worth mentioning that convenience and peace of mind is a hidden benefit of the drink package.

42 minutes ago, Geezer Of The Seas said:

We're not coffee snobs, so whatever free bilge water and fake juices served are good enough.

I've definitely had worse drip coffee on a ship. To be honest, I find cruises to be a good time to cut down on the caffeine. 

1 hour ago, KWong said:

I've definitely had worse drip coffee on a ship. To be honest, I find cruises to be a good time to cut down on the caffeine. 

I was a firefighter for 31 years. Never a moment when coffee wasn't  available.  Drank everything from battery acid to crankcase sludge "coffee", so the ship coffee is no problem.  Stopping at a 7-11 in the middle of the night for a cup while returning from a call was like a gourmet experience.  🤪

On 3/25/2024 at 11:45 AM, Ryan79 said:

I’ve never bought a drink package and always drink whatever I want. For my wife and I, we usually come out ahead by $400-500 by buying individual drinks. If your itinerary is port intensive, then it’s much harder to break even than if you have a sea day heavy itinerary. 

Very helpful