Insane Discourse about the World Cruise

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2024/02/13/passenger-dies-royal-caribbeans-9-month-world-cruise

A spokesperson for the cruise line also noted that the passenger that passed away was not part of the full Ultimate World Cruise, and had just booked the individual sailing.

I'm curious if this person was terminal and intentionally booked the cruise to live out the final days. What an awesome way to control your end.

On 1/18/2024 at 10:20 AM, Curt From Canada said:

It was a Thai Shrimp dish that was very spicy (more than we expect in an MDR). We are trying to negotiate with the chef for an encore. 

😉

Curt from Canada 

Please post more about the food!

Going on a world cruise is number one on my bucket list and I'd love to know more about the food and entertainment.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I'd really have to give that some thought on which option I'd pick. I could find a reason to pick either.

Step 1: Let passengers vote for a new route.

Step 2: Let passengers vote for 'Captain of the Day'

Step 3: Politics!

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I'd really have to give that some thought on which option I'd pick. I could find a reason to pick either.

That seems an absolute no brainier... The immersive Africa is a once in a lifetime type of cruise/ports.

The other one hits a lot of Greek isles that are you could find on a ton of cruises every year. Pls it has you at sea for a month with only a couple days of stops. 

I don't think these people went on a world cruise to just be on the ship for a month cruising. 

On 2/13/2024 at 10:37 AM, Cakemeister said:

Please post more about the food!

Going on a world cruise is number one on my bucket list and I'd love to know more about the food and entertainment.

The Ultimate World Cruise seems to be going a little bit above what a normal cruise offers when it comes to food in the MDR. We had that amazing Thai Shrimp dish one night and I had the best Filet at sea on day 1 (of the second leg) in Buenos Aires. After that dinners and breakfasts in the MDR were good to “OK” for the rest of the 18 day Antarctica leg. 

However, except for the two amazing dishes, the food was as per usual (nothing bad … nothing great).  A typical Royal MDR experience.  

One major disappointment was lunch.  We are not WindJammer people.  In addition, the cafe in the solarium was not good at all.  We tried the MDR for lunch many times and it always disappointed … nothing was very good at all.  By the end of the cruise, we had soup for lunch in the MDR and tried to pick up a sandwich somewhere.  Very disappointing.

For entertainment, nothing can compare to the experiences we have had on Oasis class ships.  However, the UWC is trying extremely hard in the entertainment area.  They have 5 excellent principle singer/performers (you usually have 1 or 2 on a Radiance class ship), 2 excellent principle dancers and a 9 piece orchestra (I think the norm is 7).  One night they flexed the orchestra up to an 11 piece.  For a formal party in the Centrum one night they had a 7 piece orchestra on the very small stage.  Big, excellent sound in the theatre and Centrum.

They also seemed to have many more bands around the ship than normal.  All of them were excellent.  On sea days, the Centrum had music from just after lunch until late in the evening.

Headliners were skewed to the culture of the part of the world you were in at the time.  We love to dance, so we still enjoyed the 3rd Tango group as we sailed through Argentina.  Still, we understand that might have been too much for some people.  Given how strong the Royal singers, dancers and orchestra was we can only remember one bad performance in the main theatre in 18 nights.

The Love & Marriage Show had the oldest newlywed couple ever.  Going in we thought the show might skew older.  It definitely didn’t disappoint.😂

Lastly, there was an effort to have much more going on during the day than on a regular cruise.  More enrichment lectures, more trivia, more dance classes, more movies … everything seemed to be intentionally just a little bit more.

Curt from Canada

I saw that you guys can "suggest meals" too... that's pretty cool.

If you have Reddit, on the Royal Caribbean sub, there is a guy who posts a group of pics with very simple explanations every single day. I love it, it's a quick glimpse of random stuff around the ship and what's going on.  I'm actually reading his newest post right now...