Walking old San Juan

tonyfsu21

It’s been 11-12 year (pre kids) the last time we were in Puerto Rico. Can anyone recommend a nice walk, shopping exc with younger kids in tow? I really wanted to try some Mofongo and a pina colada but also wanted some ideas not requiring a taxi. We are an active family so a longer walk is not a deal breaker. Thanks. 

If you're in Port early enough in the day to do it before they close at 5:00 p.m. it's an easy walk up the hill from the port through Old San Juan to the El Morro Fortress, easily the most interesting thing to see, and not necessary to book as a tour through the ship to do it. And if you're up for it times two, an admission to El Morro also includes admission to the San Cristobal Fortress on the other side of the harbor entrance as well, both are run by the National Park Service, and both close at 5:00 p.m. daily. Mind you if some of the larger newer ships need to dock at a different facility you might need a taxi ride or to do it as a tour. I've only ever been there on the smaller ships that pull right in at the Old San Juan pier. Going there again next year on Explorer Of The Seas and hopefully plan to do that for our early afternoon arriving port call.

On 12/2/2023 at 8:54 AM, tonyfsu21 said:

Where does RC dock in San Juan? I’ve only ever docked in the main harbor adjacent to the fort. We are sailing Symphony. 

Royal docks isn Old San Juan, yes adjacent to the fort.  We docked there on Wonder in February.  It's very walkable.  When walking to the Castillo San Cristobal, you'll want to stop at Parque de las Palomas.  It's the pigeon park, the kids will absolutely love it, I've never seen so many pigeons.  We hate birds, and bird poop, but you gotta stop there.  It was such a cool place.

@tonyfsu21 our last time on OA, we walked to the fort with two kids in tow, and it was easy. We found the pigeon park, and the kids had fun. We used our phones and opened our maps app and just kind of wandered and followed the coast etc. For a Pina Colada I highly recommend stopping at Barrachina. This place is considered the "birthplace" of the Pina Colada. You can stop in at their bar area and grab one to go. They have adult (with booze) and kid versions ready made and they are delicious. They really hit the spot on a hot day. We also stopped at a Dr Bizarro on the way back to the ship for some bubble tea and ice cream that the kids will like too. 

Here is a map of the route we kinda took.

IMG_5874.jpeg

12 minutes ago, GregD said:

@tonyfsu21 our last time on OA, we walked to the fort with two kids in tow, and it was easy. We found the pigeon park, and the kids had fun. We used our phones and opened our maps app and just kind of wandered and followed the coast etc. For a Pina Colada I highly recommend stopping at Barrachina. This place is considered the "birthplace" of the Pina Colada. You can stop in at their bar area and grab one to go. They have adult (with booze) and kid versions ready made and they are delicious. They really hit the spot on a hot day. We also stopped at a Dr Bizarro on the way back to the ship for some bubble tea and ice cream that the kids will like too. 

Here is a map of the route we kinda took.

IMG_5874.jpeg

Excellent thank you for the great info!

We walked everywhere and loved the 2 forts, as well as the old cathedral where Ponce de Leon is buried.  We were able to get a national park stamp at El Morro, which made me very happy!  We got mofungo at a restaurant that Matt recommended a long time ago.  I don't remember the name but it was really good!  I am so excited that we are actually embarking from San Juan in June, so we are going to spend the night in old Town! Jane

• 3 weeks later...

We did the water walk along the harbor all the way to the fort, thru the fort on our own and back through Old San Juan with plenty of time. We were only there 8:00 am -2:00 pm on Allure. We were in our late 50's in 2019 when we did this. There are a lot of feral cats along the walk, some are nice some more skittish.