Icon: Should the infinite family room be a suite?

Lucky

I'm booked for Icon in November 2024. When booking, I was torn between two rooms, the surfside family suite and the infinite family ocean view balcony.

I really liked the infinite family room because it has designated bunks which would be perfect for the two young kids that will be coming with us. However, I was extremely caught off-guard at the price of it, primarily because it is categorized as a balcony but costs significantly more than some suites on board.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Do you think it should be categorized as a suite? And also, does Royal Caribbean have a precedent as some suites being cheaper than lower category rooms?

Cabins are priced upon demand, which can cause funky pricing. Cabins with extra family space, are some of the most desirable in the fleet. Some ships that an ultra-spacious ocean view (no balcony) that is perfect for families with kids that is often the same price or more as a JS. 

• 2 months later...

Going to re-up this a few months after it's original posting with some numbers (This is for 21 September 2024, 2 adults & 2 kids):

Category Name Price Avail % Size (incl balcony)
Suite - Sea Junior Suite $11,370.16 12% 402sqft
Suite - Sky Surfside Family Suite $12,000.16 45% 322sqft
Balcony Family Infinte Balcony $14,801.16 44% 335sqft

There are still lots of Family Infinite Balconies available (44% unsold), and the price is higher than Sky-class Surfside Family Suites (roughly same availability) AND Sea-class Junior Suites (12% availability). It's also hard to argue "The Family Infinite Balcony room has more space!" because it's roughly the same size as the Surfside Family Suite. 

So I'm paying $2800 more for bunks and no suite amenities (and the ability to hold up to six people), when the Surfside Family Suite has the same availability? 

Full Disclosure: I'm biased because I have a Family Infinite Balcony booked on Icon for the fall. We actually have 5 in our party (2 adults and 3 kids) so neither the Junior Suite (max 4) or Surfside Family Balcony (max 4) are options for us. If I could get a rollaway bed, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

4 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

I am curious where you got the numbers for availability%

Each of the room types I listed happens to be clustered in a particular part of the ship, and in a limited number of decks (Junior Suites are all forward on upper decks, Surfside Family Suites and Family Infinite Balconies are Aft between decks 9 and 12). I basically did a mock booking and counted the number of remaining rooms, and divided it by the total number of each room type as listed here:

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Icon/Icon_Categorization_Grid.pdf

51 minutes ago, MattG said:

Each of the room types I listed happens to be clustered in a particular part of the ship, and in a limited number of decks (Junior Suites are all forward on upper decks, Surfside Family Suites and Family Infinite Balconies are Aft between decks 9 and 12). I basically did a mock booking and counted the number of remaining rooms, and divided it by the total number of each room type as listed here:

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Icon/Icon_Categorization_Grid.pdf

But when you book on the Royal site they do not show you all the available rooms to book.   They release them in blocks over time.

I think it is just b/c of the size and the fact it fits up to 6 - just not a lot of rooms that can (saying this as a family of 5 and has booked one of these - though glad I booked early as got it for much less those prices quotes above) 

So when booking it, almost have to compare to the price of 2 rooms as that is what larger families/groups often have to do 

I tend to think it might be indicative of the current revenue model on sales.  there have been KSF promotions running pretty steadily since covid.  The family infinite balconies are most likely to have 2-4 "free guests" and they try to make it up by starting pricing. 

On basic supply and demand side, rooms that can fit 5+ are also few and far between on Icon (pretty much just the balconies in question) so while your analysis of availability  for a particular sailing is relevant for that sailing it does not account for the economics of keeping those prices high where there may (or may not) be high demand for that category across other sailings.  Plus, as noted, there may or more or less rooms actually available and just not released as a block yet.

On 1/28/2024 at 5:53 PM, TheMaxRebo said:

So when booking it, almost have to compare to the price of 2 rooms as that is what larger families/groups often have to do 

Exactly this. Price out 2 infinite balcony rooms for 3 and compare.

I did get to see one of these rooms yesterday and I loved it.

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, fb3 said:

Does anyone know the size of the bunks in this cabin? I think I read somewhere that they are smaller and only suitable for little kids?

On Royal's site it says they are twin beds.

image.png.487ac50c3f81f57004fdc7fb7b0239d9.png

On 1/28/2024 at 10:42 AM, MattG said:

Going to re-up this a few months after it's original posting with some numbers (This is for 21 September 2024, 2 adults & 2 kids):

Category Name Price Avail % Size (incl balcony)
Suite - Sea Junior Suite $11,370.16 12% 402sqft
Suite - Sky Surfside Family Suite $12,000.16 45% 322sqft
Balcony Family Infinte Balcony $14,801.16 44% 335sqft

There are still lots of Family Infinite Balconies available (44% unsold), and the price is higher than Sky-class Surfside Family Suites (roughly same availability) AND Sea-class Junior Suites (12% availability). It's also hard to argue "The Family Infinite Balcony room has more space!" because it's roughly the same size as the Surfside Family Suite. 

So I'm paying $2800 more for bunks and no suite amenities (and the ability to hold up to six people), when the Surfside Family Suite has the same availability? 

Full Disclosure: I'm biased because I have a Family Infinite Balcony booked on Icon for the fall. We actually have 5 in our party (2 adults and 3 kids) so neither the Junior Suite (max 4) or Surfside Family Balcony (max 4) are options for us. If I could get a rollaway bed, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

I know you can’t fit in it with 5 people, but the Surfside Family Suite is HORRIBLE, even for 4 people..  Our friends had that room on our cruise in February.  They booked it long ago and only paid $7k for 4 people and they HATED that room and said they’d never do it again.  It was small for two adults and two 12 year old boys, they felt like a regular balcony room would have been better.  The bed the boys had to sleep on was so short that both of their feet hung off the end about 6 inches when laying flat and they are only 5’ 4”.  The overall area of the room seemed smaller than most balcony rooms.  It only had 1 small closet and the closet wasn’t even deep enough for the supplied hangers to fit properly.  The hangers had to turn sideways to fit in the depth of the closet which made the space available to hang clothes even less.

12 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

I know you can’t fit in it with 5 people, but the Surfside Family Suite is HORRIBLE, even for 4 people..  Our friends had that room on our cruise in February.  They booked it long ago and only paid $7k for 4 people and they HATED that room and said they’d never do it again.  It was small for two adults and two 12 year old boys, they felt like a regular balcony room would have been better.  The bed the boys had to sleep on was so short that both of their feet hung off the end about 6 inches when laying flat and they are only 5’ 4”.  The overall area of the room seemed smaller than most balcony rooms.  It only had 1 small closet and the closet wasn’t even deep enough for the supplied hangers to fit properly.  The hangers had to turn sideways to fit in the depth of the closet which made the space available to hang clothes even less.

We booked that room when Icon first opened up. At the time, I loved the design of it and how it was laid out. However, since the ship has come out and I've seen actual photos and videos plus read some reviews, I am heavily regretting my decision. Luckily, my kids are only 5 and 2.