Thinking about another cruise

Any advice for picking another cruise after a bad Royal Caribbean cruise 10 years ago? My family loves cruises and they typically go on one or 2 a year and invite my wife and I but we went on a Royal Caribbean cruise before and felt very ripped of or nickel and dimed for everything.

I found the process rather confusing, we did enjoy the pool while we were docked but 4 days of pool time seemed hardly worth the $2700 price tag. Oddly enough my wife one a completely free cruise for 2 playing bingo, at the time the response was oh hell no.

Now we are thinking of trying again. What are we missing? Do they have a specific people on the boat that help plan events? The last trip it seemed if you didn't know what to do or word the question properly the staff couldn't help 

I believe the boat was grandeur of the seas. Family members had recommended it said it was an awesome boat. I am glad we had a balcony or it would have been an absolutely terrible trip.

6 hours ago, Flyingfish427 said:

Now we are thinking of trying again. What are we missing? Do they have a specific people on the boat that help plan events? The last trip it seemed if you didn't know what to do or word the question properly the staff couldn't help 

Now unlike 10 years ago all the events/activities/menus are listed in the app.    The cruise has a Cruise director and staff which plan and run all the events.    That said they are events for any and all they do not do specific planning for you individually.   Nor do they make much in the way of announcements regarding the activities, they basically rely on you to read what is happening and show up or not.  the old days this was in the printed sheets left in your cabin each night now it is in the app.    There is also a shore excursion desk and team that can help you with what to do in the ports, although I find they really just want to sell you on the excursions they offer and have available.

I view a cruise as a floating hotel that gets me to the various ports.   This covers my food, accommodation and much of my evening entertainment (as I like the shows).  I do a bunch of research on each port and pre-book my own excursions direct with the companies in those ports (only rarely will I book an excursion through the ship).    I am someone who likes to keep busy so sea days can be tough for me but if I keep my mind open and am willing to try the various things the ship has planned I can fill my day (as long as my cruise does not have too many sea days).  My wife likes to read and sit in the sun by the pool so for her sea days are great she hangs out, I find something to do and we meet up for lunch and dinner and then spend the evening together usually taking in a show or enjoying some of the other entertainment around the ship.

While Grandeur was nice in its day, it is one of the smallest ships (if not the smallest) in the current Royal fleet. You will have ZERO issues finding things to do on a Quantum, Oasis, or Icon class ship. Even Freedom class would be a huge improvement. “Smaller” ships like Mariner, Freedom, and Navigator are an absolute blast. I will say that my very first cruise, my wife and I didn’t fall in love with it either. Once you learn how to cruise and just “go with the flow”, you will enjoy them much much more. Don’t just sit at the pool deck, there is so much more to do!!!

It sounds like, on your first cruise, you guys didn't get off at any of the ports which may have contributed to your boredom. I definitely suggest taking in the ports and if you're not sure what to do, the shore excursion desk is a great place to get information on Royal sponsored tours and events to do in port. It's also a great idea to ask your room steward or waiters what they like to do at certain ports because, most likely, they've been to them several times and have great suggestions on places to eat, shop, play, and tour.

In terms of what to do onboard, activities range from trivia and classes to dances and Broadway-level shows. Mini-golf, flowrider surfing simulator and rock climbing are almost standard across the fleet and complimentary. On Oasis class ships (Oasis, Allure, Harmony, Symphony Wonder and the upcoming Utopia) you're going to get water slides, a dry slide, zip lining, mini golf, a carosel, central park and so much food. Quantum class (Quantum, Spectrum, Ovation and Anthem) will get you bumper cars, laser tag, simulated skydiving, the northstar lookout attraction, a full sports court with all kinds of fun games and activities, and again..so much food! And even the "smaller" ships like Voyager and Freedom classes have parades, themed parties, water slides and other cool activities.

If you're not sure what to do, definitely DEFINITELY utilize a travel agent to help you book. A good agent (such as the folks at MEI or Harr Travel) are really knowledgeable about the ships and itineraries and can help you craft a cruise that's best suited to what you like to do.

And onboard, if you're willing to spend the extra money, staying in a suite can get access to the suite concierge who can help you go through the daily activities, make reservations for shows, and maybe let you know what things are smash or pass.

Overall, cruising, especially with Royal and Carnival, is all about getting the first time (or first time in a long time) cruiser on the ships. They do their best to make things easily self-accessible and fun to all types of cruisers.

Oasis and Quantum are larger and have a better selection of shows. Since they are larger consider booking midship area or as close to midship area  as possible.  The dining room and windjammer are aft-so a cabin located midship closer towards aft means less walking overall during the day.  If you love to walk this isn’t an issue. My preference is as close to the aft elevators as I can get.

I understand your concerns.  I left an expensive family cruise very upset that I missed out on a lot.  Now I read this forum and learn as much as I can.  If you are a “paper person” ask your stateroom attendant for the cruise compass and tell him/her you’d like it nightly.  Then be sure to peruse it and circle things you want to do.  The cruise director and staff run things-I wouldn’t rely on them to tell you what to do and when. 

When you do pick a cruise feel free to come back here and ask questions about the ship and I’m sure you’ll get plenty of input.

IMG_7281.thumb.jpeg.5c534185b523cf7f3185cb2f0524842d.jpeg

You need to identify what gives you joy/fun. For us on Vision class it was live music and dancing, awesome shows, better food than we had at home  and dressing for dinner with great service. We felt special, not middle class. The pool was useful occasionally when out son was young, but not our favorite venue. I really sought the best itineraries.  Now ship people - those who are less engaged in the itinerary - choose larger vessels as already discussed. But know who you are before you cruise, and what you seek that you don't experience at home.