Odds of switching a "let us pick your cabin" cabin...

I have never let RCCL pick my cabin - too paranoid I'll get one under a pool or near a club or something. But I found a CRAZY good 7-night med cruise but the different of picking own and them picking it is $800. I wonder if the crazy good base price is due to the particular sailiing never filling? It's the last week in May so US schools are still in session. It's the first sailing in the Med of the season for this ship. If they pick it, you hate it...if there are cabins left, can you switch? 

Yes, once it is assigned you can switch it to another cabin in the exact same category.  By that I mean if it is say a 2D , you could switch to other open cabins in that same category 2D.  I don't mean the broader category which might be Oceanview Balcony.  Once you get your cabin assignment, determine its category and then find other open cabins in that category and if there is one you prefer, you can switch to it.

Your travel agent can assist you in that.

1 hour ago, David Ulrich said:

I have never let RCCL pick my cabin - too paranoid I'll get one under a pool or near a club or something. But I found a CRAZY good 7-night med cruise but the different of picking own and them picking it is $800. I wonder if the crazy good base price is due to the particular sailiing never filling? It's the last week in May so US schools are still in session. It's the first sailing in the Med of the season for this ship. If they pick it, you hate it...if there are cabins left, can you switch? 

Another option is to compare Royal's let them pick / guarantee cabin and that of a travel agency with a group rate.  I've found much lower rates and amazing service with Harr Travel.  Many times their group rates are much lower and also offer a refundable deposit.  

Add in another vote for using a TA with group rates and refundable deposits (and usually OBC as well).

In any case, I used to book GTY's all the time and nearly always switched them, but that was when ships weren't quite this full. I stopped once I started using a TA for the aforementioned rates and perks. Not only are the prices cheaper than what you see online, but I've been picking my own cabin.

Back in April, for the first time we booked, on Next, an OVBalcony guarantee on Symphony for Jan 2024. I thought, why not grab that cheap rate, watch for something close to it and grab a cabin of our choice. Today the same deal, OVBG is only $200 less PER person that our total cost for the 2 person booking. JIC that's confusing, it's almost double the price when we booked it 6 months ago. So we are sticking with the guaranteed and seeing what happens.