Enchantment of the Seas | Dry dock before Galveston...updates?!

Hello everyone! I'm pretty new to the forum (okay, REALLY new) so bear with me here.

I'm taking my first cruise with RCI since 2002, and I know A LOT has changed. I'm really excited to be sailing the Enchantment out of Galveston, and I heard a rumor that it will be going into dry dock before it arrives this year or possibly in early 2018. Is this true? And if so, does anyone know what the dry dock is for? Just basic maintenance before it moves to Galveston or are they planning some upgrading of the ship since I know it's one of their older ships and hasn't really gotten any renovating since 2005 (maybe I'm incorrect on that)?

I'd love to see a little refreshing of the ship before I board, so I was wondering if anyone knew any gossip about the dry dock. I know, I know, I have over a year away. I'm the kind of person that books way way waaaay too far in advance and then thinks non-stop about the cruise daily. Agh.

I looked and didn't see anything specific that Royal said they were going to do, or specific time frame, some of the other members looked for holes in her schedule and it looked like late November through part of December 2017 was when no cruises were scheduled.

Typically of late Royal has been touching up the paint and the carpet, adding specialty restaurants where they can and additional rooms where they can. On some of the bigger ships they have added action areas like trampolines, but this being a smaller ship I would not hazard a guess.

8 hours ago, SFASUMegan said:

Hello everyone! I'm pretty new to the forum (okay, REALLY new) so bear with me

I know, I know, I have over a year away. I'm the kind of person that books way way waaaay too far in advance and then thinks non-stop about the cruise daily. Agh

You will fit right in here!!!  There are many of us that pretty much are right with you (myself included).   I don't know anything about enchantments dry-dock, but it is supposed to be a great ship.  It is smaller and older, but it still has things.  I sailed on her smaller sister ship vision for my very first cruise in 2015 and had a terrific time!!!  

Welcome to the site!  Jane

I too heard that the refurb is in Nov/Dec of 2017 but I don't know what that will include.   My guess would be a good general cleaning and painting.  The exterior definitely needs some of that imo.  The refurb should address the normal wear and tear and it should look great coming out of it.    We sailed on her in April and it was as expected, a nice relaxing cruise, albeit w/o all the bells and whistles of the newer ships.  For the most part, we thought the main dining room food was good, Chops was good and actually the Windjammer was probably the best of any Windjammer experience we've had.  I thought the O/V cabin was fine, we had a connecting room but really didn't hear much noise at all.  Hope you have a good cruise (and we too are constantly thinking about our next cruise which is still 15 months out).

Thank you all for your replies! 

I guess I will keep an eye on what happens around November/December and see what the news is after then! Of course it would be neat if they happened to add some kind of new features, but I definitely am most excited about the refreshing of exterior and interior of the ship. I was kind of hoping the rooms would get a touch-up (I may be hoping for too much here, heh).

On 7/18/2017 at 11:09 AM, SFASUMegan said:

Hello everyone! I'm pretty new to the forum (okay, REALLY new) so bear with me here.

I'm taking my first cruise with RCI since 2002, and I know A LOT has changed. I'm really excited to be sailing the Enchantment out of Galveston, and I heard a rumor that it will be going into dry dock before it arrives this year or possibly in early 2018. Is this true? And if so, does anyone know what the dry dock is for? Just basic maintenance before it moves to Galveston or are they planning some upgrading of the ship since I know it's one of their older ships and hasn't really gotten any renovating since 2005 (maybe I'm incorrect on that)?

I'd love to see a little refreshing of the ship before I board, so I was wondering if anyone knew any gossip about the dry dock. I know, I know, I have over a year away. I'm the kind of person that books way way waaaay too far in advance and then thinks non-stop about the cruise daily. Agh.

Welcome!!